Gotta sell one, 99 TJ Sahara or 06 LJ?

So what are the problems with the '05 and '06 TJ/LJ???
The OPDA problem is overblown. It’s $100. Change it and move on. I haven’t seen that many cases with the auto transmission.

I personally prefer 03-06 TJ’s for many, many reasons. I won’t buy a 97-2000. I might buy a 2001-2002 if it had the transmission I desired.

Like many others, I'd keep the LJ. Though if you want more money back and would be happy with the TJ, sell the LJ for some more mod money.

The OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) assembly was redesigned in 05 which caused a serious lubrication problem for itself. If it happens and it's not resolved right away it can take the cam out. There have been two aftermarket kits designed to help with that problem but neither proved to be a 100% permanent fix in all cases. Not to mention they're not always easy to get installed and working properly due to how installing it will screw up the engine timing if you don't get it right.

This forum has a thread on the OPDA issue at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/

The other problem is with the automatic transmission controller which has some serious software bugs in it. Fortunately there's finally a fix for that by replacing the PCM with one from www.wranglerfix.com but it's still something that would likely eventually happen with the automatic your LJ most likely has. Hard shifts, shifting problems, transmission lockup, overheating codes, etc.. Not to mention the 05/06 PCM can cause other issues like with the O2 sensors.

There are some who claim there aren't any problems but they're either clueless or purposely misleading people who no nothing about the above issues and not equipping them to make informed and educated decisions.
I thought the Crown OPDA was a permanent fix? Or are people having problems with those now? I'm wondering if the people that replaced their OPDA with the crown and had it fail later did so too late and the cam is already somewhat ruined and failed later on.

For the PCM issue, do you recommend replacing it as a preventative fix? Or should I replace it only when issues start to arise?

To the OP. Keep the TJ. TIny Jeeps are cooler :)

Last edited:
I would DEFINTELY sell the 99 TJ and Keep the 06 LJ. 2005/6 models have a couple potential problems that are completely overblown.

SWB is what gives a wrangler its unique look in my opinion, long front short back, I would keep the TJ.
Sorry folks but the LJ looks like a Landcruiser copy whereas the Landcruiser was a Jeep copy, sort of admitting defeat lol

yella.jpg

Un limited.jpg

I thought the Crown OPDA was a permanent fix? Or are people having problems with those now? I'm wondering if the people that replaced their OPDA with the crown and had it fail later did so too late and the cam is already somewhat ruined and failed later on.

For the PCM issue, do you recommend replacing it as a preventative fix? Or should I replace it only when issues start to arise?

To the OP. Keep the TJ. TIny Jeeps are cooler :)
There are regular posts in various forums reporting issues during and after installing the Dorman or Crown OPDA kit. Just because it gets installed is no guarantee it's fixed permanently. Here are a couple examples of there being problems... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/opda-screwed-4206793/ and https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/threads/crown-opda-is-proven.93002/page-2

It kills/angers me that there are some who will mislead others by claiming it's a non-issue or that you only need to install an aftermarket OPDA kit to fix it. Just installing an OPDA kit is definitely no assurance the problems are over.

The automatic transmission bugs in 05/06 models are at least easy to fix once/if they happen. It does require the purchase of a new PCM from Wranglerfix.

The reason I prefer 2004 and older is because they have neither of those issues. I'll never agree with anyone who claims the 05/06 problems, especially the OPDA now that there's a fix for the PCM, are not a big potential problem.

There are regular posts in various forums reporting issues during and after installing the Dorman or Crown OPDA kit. Just because it gets installed is no guarantee it's fixed permanently. Here are a couple examples of there being problems... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/opda-screwed-4206793/ and https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/threads/crown-opda-is-proven.93002/page-2

It kills/angers me that there are some who will mislead others by claiming it's a non-issue or that you only need to install an aftermarket OPDA kit to fix it.

The automatic transmission bugs in 05/06 models are at least easy to fix once/if they happen. It does require the purchase of a new PCM from Wranglerfix.

The reason I prefer 2004 and older is because they have neither of those issues. I'll never agree with anyone who claims the 05/06 problems, especially the OPDA now that there's a fix for the PCM, are not a big potential problem.
Is there a list of numbers that show just how many 05/06 have had to be rebuilt/scrapped due to OPDA causing cam destruction?
It would be interesting to find out if not.
Current registered vehicle's against production numbers 03/04 v 05/06.
Not denying your claims just interested given I have an 06 and couldn't get an 04 :)

Is there a list of numbers that show just how many 05/06 have had to be rebuilt/scrapped due to OPDA causing cam destruction?
It would be interesting to find out if not.
Current registered vehicle's against production numbers 03/04 v 05/06.
Who knows how many 05/06 have the above problems but none of the 03/04 models have those problems. The problems started when they redesigned the 05 which carried over to the 06.

Sound advice, keep a 22 year old Jeep and you won't have any problems. :ROFLMAO:

But I'll offer my biased opinion: Keep the LJ, there's just something about cruising around in them....

Who knows how many 05/06 have the above problems but none of the 03/04 models have those problems. The problems started when they redesigned the 05 which carried over to the 06.
Mahalo for the heads up on the OPDA. Came as a total surprise that something so common escaped my attention till now. Fixing the problem is simple and only a little more than a Benjamin if the engine wasn't run for long with the failed bearing in OPDA. If not caught early it's a new cam and maybe more. All this caused by changing the location of an oil seal by a new mfg. I'll be ordering a new OPDA and swapping it out as soon as I get home. Something that every jeep owner should do if it hasn't already been done. Fortunately there are no screeching monkeys or hard shifting transmission in my LJ.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The TJ will be a hard sell and would probably go cheap. Better to sell the LJ and keep the TJ based on your planned limited use. No question for me, though as I'd keep the LJ but have a use for it's longer wheel base and bed. Nearly bought one when new and have been seriously looking for one for nearly a year before finding mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Mahalo for the heads up on the OPDA. Came as a total surprise that something so common escaped my attention till now. Fixing the problem is simple and only a little more than a Benjamin if the engine wasn't run for long with the failed bearing in OPDA. If not caught early it's a new cam and maybe more. All this caused by changing the location of an oil seal by a new mfg. I'll be ordering a new OPDA and swapping it out as soon as I get home. Something that every jeep owner should do if it hasn't already been done. Fortunately there are no screeching monkeys or hard shifting transmission in my LJ.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The TJ will be are a hard sell and would probably go cheap. Better to sell the LJ and keep the TJ based on your planned limited use. No question for me, though as I'd keep the LJ but have a use for it's longer wheel base and bed. Nearly bought one when new and have been seriously looking for one for nearly a year before finding mine.
My OPDA started to squeal and the bearing wasn't even slightly seized.
The OPDA gear is harder (tempered?) than the cam gear and this can cause cam wear so watch out 03-04 owners!

Guess I'll add my 2 cents. I'd keep the LJ, simply for the added room and being able to throw more in it. Sell the TJ, with the way the market is currently, you'll probably make out decent on it. The LJ will also be worth more down the road if you ever want to get rid of it.

Has the thought crossed your mind that you may regret selling the LJ a year from now? If so, keep it because you'll just end up buying another if you don't.