Greaseable vs non-greaseable Tom Wood driveshaft, which is better?

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2 years ago had my 98 Sport fixed up. I asked for a new Tom Wood DC Rear Drive Shaft.
Instead they rebuilt my old DC Rear Drive Shaft.
Now it is squeaking. (Yes, I kept it lubed).
Anyway, looking Tom Wood again...
Greaseable vs non-greaseable, which is better?
Thanks

Sealed Spicer non-greasable is what you want unless, perhaps, your Jeep lives in deep soupy mud. Depending on the size of the u-joint you need I'd go with something like the Spicer 5-1310x or 5-1330x.

Sealed Spicer non-greasable is what you want unless, perhaps, your Jeep lives in deep soupy mud. Depending on the size of the u-joint you need I'd go with something like the Spicer 5-1310x or 5-1330x.
Jerry I have run the 5-1310x for years in the muck now with great success and would recommend them over the greaseable at this point.

In many ways I do think that the non-greaseable joints are a better option for most people. One thing I don't like about non-greaseable joints though is that they often trick people into thinking that they have a non-greaseable and therefor maintenance-free drive shaft. As a result they will not grease the center ball of the double cardan or the slip yoke. As long as you remember to service those fittings every so often I think non-greaseable joints are a great option. You can read more about some of the differences between the two options here https://4xshaft.com/blogs/faq/greaseable-vs-non-greaseable-joints-which-is-better.

Here is a picture showing the grease fitting for the center ball of the double cardan, it is easy to overlook. Sorry, my picture is not well focused on the grease fitting and it is a little blurry.

CENTER BALL GREASING.jpg

This post also inspired me to start on something that I've wanted to do for a long time. To do a cross section comparison of a greaseable and a non-greaseable joint. Tonight I cut a couple joints in half. I'm going to do a bunch of comparative measurements, take some good pictures, and make it a whole thing. Stay tuned! But for now it is 10:45 pm, I still have some other work I need to finish, and I should probably go home eventually.

In many ways I do think that the non-greaseable joints are a better option for most people. One thing I don't like about non-greaseable joints though is that they often trick people into thinking that they have a non-greaseable and therefor maintenance-free drive shaft. As a result they will not grease the center ball of the double cardan or the slip yoke. As long as you remember to service those fittings every so often I think non-greaseable joints are a great option. You can read more about some of the differences between the two options here https://4xshaft.com/blogs/faq/greaseable-vs-non-greaseable-joints-which-is-better.

Here is a picture showing the grease fitting for the center ball of the double cardan, it is easy to overlook. Sorry, my picture is not well focused on the grease fitting and it is a little blurry.

View attachment 312740
Really good information for me. Thanks

Reactions: Shawn at Tom Wood's

View attachment 312740
non-greaseable u-joints are stronger than greaseable u-joints aren't they?

So if you are comparing the Spicer SPL (ie 5-1310x) to a 10 series (5-153x) the SPL is tougher due to the cold forged cross.
Just speaking on same materials, solid versus having a grease channel across the legs of u-joint. It certainly should be stronger due to not having a void in the center.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
non-greaseable u-joints are stronger than greaseable u-joints aren't they?
Yes, I believe that they are stronger. You can easily find 100 people who will tell you that non-greaseable joints are stronger, including me. What you won't find is a single person who can tell you how much stronger they are, including me. Spicer and Neapco has some "information" on this but they are really marketing flyers and don't put it into clear terms. That's the problem I've always had with the "stronger" claims, they need to be backed up with clear numbers. If I tell everyone that I'm taller than all of you but I can't/won't tell you how tall I am everyone will surely call BS, surely people wont assume I'm a giant. Here's the information Spicer has published https://d3qx1uccksbb2n.cloudfront.net/docs/J3349-22019.pdf They are reporting "Fatigue cycles" to "failure" but what exactly is a fatigue cycle and what are they defining as a "failure"? To make it even more confusing Neapco has their own testing and data which says their performance series joints can withstand twice the fatigue cycles to failure as the "leading competitor". https://www.neapcoaftermarket.com/products/performance-series-u-joints/ If the leading competitor isn't Spicer I don't know who it is. But then if you refer back to the spicer flyer their spicer life series can withstand more than 10X the fatigue cycles as their leading competitor. So if spicer is 10x stronger than Neapco but Neapco is 2x stronger than Spicer, does that mean Spicer is 20x stronger than Spicer? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

These are some of the reasons I don't take the claims of the joint manufacturers at face value.

I just want them to apply force to a joint until it breaks and tell me what that number is, how much force was required. They can do that on rock climbing carabiners, it's stamped or etched right on the carabiner, why can't they do that with universal joints?

carabiner ratings.jpg

Just speaking on same materials, solid versus having a grease channel across the legs of u-joint. It certainly should be stronger due to not having a void in the center.
The grease channel is not a big deal just like comparing tubing to solid stock. The zerk in the cross is the bigger issue when it comes to strength.

Yes, I believe that they are stronger. You can easily find 100 people who will tell you that non-greaseable joints are stronger, including me. What you won't find is a single person who can tell you how much stronger they are, including me. Spicer and Neapco has some "information" on this but they are really marketing flyers and don't put it into clear terms. That's the problem I've always had with the "stronger" claims, they need to be backed up with clear numbers. If I tell everyone that I'm taller than all of you but I can't/won't tell you how tall I am everyone will surely call BS, surely people wont assume I'm a giant. Here's the information Spicer has published https://d3qx1uccksbb2n.cloudfront.net/docs/J3349-22019.pdf They are reporting "Fatigue cycles" to "failure" but what exactly is a fatigue cycle and what are they defining as a "failure"? To make it even more confusing Neapco has their own testing and data which says their performance series joints can withstand twice the fatigue cycles to failure as the "leading competitor". https://www.neapcoaftermarket.com/products/performance-series-u-joints/ If the leading competitor isn't Spicer I don't know who it is. But then if you refer back to the spicer flyer their spicer life series can withstand more than 10X the fatigue cycles as their leading competitor. So if spicer is 10x stronger than Neapco but Neapco is 2x stronger than Spicer, does that mean Spicer is 20x stronger than Spicer? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

These are some of the reasons I don't take the claims of the joint manufacturers at face value.

I just want them to apply force to a joint until it breaks and tell me what that number is, how much force was required. They can do that on rock climbing carabiners, it's stamped or etched right on the carabiner, why can't they do that with universal joints?

View attachment 312953
Ironically Spicer used to publish some torque ratings for their joints but that was long ago.

Reactions: Shawn at Tom Wood's
Ironically Spicer used to publish some torque ratings for their joints but that was long ago.
Neapco at least lists ultimate strength in newton-meters in their info but there are no numbers! It's just (read in caveman voice) "This graph bigger, this one better".

I found the old information that our old Dana/Spicer rep sent me when I asked him for clarification on this topic. In the old version of their flyer they named the other brands they were comparing themselves to. Neapco scored the lowest! It was a neapco standard greaseable joint not their non-greaseable but still, none of this correlates nor makes any sense to me.

Screenshot (277).png

Screenshot (276).png

Neapco at least lists ultimate strength in newton-meters in their info but there are no numbers! It's just (read in caveman voice) "This graph bigger, this one better".

I found the old information that our old Dana/Spicer rep sent me when I asked him for clarification on this topic. In the old version of their flyer they named the other brands they were comparing themselves to. Neapco scored the lowest! It was a neapco standard greaseable joint not their non-greaseable but still, none of this correlates nor makes any sense to me.

View attachment 312959

View attachment 312960
I blame it on the internet and intellectual property protection. Companies now are so worried that any actual data will either be used to copycat or be used by keyboard cowboys to trash them over whatever perceived deficiencies they believe the product has. So only putting out generalized propaganda they believe is their best defense.