Grill Support Rod Broken at Firewall

Bonus Coyote

the grill support rod on the drivers side broke through the firewall. This is the cause of a nasty rattle that seems to be coming out of the dash. Jeep is new to me, so I dont know if there was previous damage. if there was, the body work was pretty good to cover it up. I have seen some posters suggest just eliminating the support Rod. others think that is a bad idea.
Is there a process to fix the sheet metal on the firewall and re-attach?
2004 Rubicon..
Thanks in advance for ideas.

Its there for a reason and you can use a nursert.

ya nutsert will put threads back so it can be bolted back on .

but how'd it bust through, is it rotten? how big is the hole? is it gonna require a patch b4 you can fix the rod?

At one point several folks on JU bolted their hi lift jacks across the support rods to keep them out of the weather. Shortly after they all removed them when the end of the rods broke the section out of the firewall where they attach.

• Haha
Reactions: D M and Chris
At one point several folks on JU bolted their hi lift jacks across the support rods to keep them out of the weather. Shortly after they all removed them when the end of the rods broke the section out of the firewall where they attach.

Imagine caring so much about your hi-lift jack that you need to protect it from the weather.

the grill support rod on the drivers side broke through the firewall. This is the cause of a nasty rattle that seems to be coming out of the dash. Jeep is new to me, so I dont know if there was previous damage. if there was, the body work was pretty good to cover it up. I have seen some posters suggest just eliminating the support Rod. others think that is a bad idea.
Is there a process to fix the sheet metal on the firewall and re-attach?
2004 Rubicon..
Thanks in advance for ideas.
Photos here.

IMG_1965[2829].JPG

IMG_1968[2827].JPG

that sounds like the problem need to deal with. (dont know it that was the cause, though). any idea how to fix firewall after that break that section?

that sounds like the problem need to deal with. (dont know it that was the cause, though). any idea how to fix firewall after that break that section?
You can fix it in a manner of ways ranging from complex and correct that will last to down and dirty that will last. Pick one.

You're missing the best part of that. Mr. "I only fucking drive with the top down and the AC off" has been begging me to 2 solid weeks to get a top on his rig so he can drive it home.
Zip ties and a blanket and boom no problemo :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
You're missing the best part of that. Mr. "I only fucking drive with the top down and the AC off" has been begging me to 2 solid weeks to get a top on his rig so he can drive it home.

I haven't used a top once since moving to Arizona.

I also haven't driven it more than maybe 20 miles in one sitting let alone 8 hours to Moab.