Grocery pick up without bags

If folks are throwing .05 cent deposit plastic bottles away then raise the deposit to .10 cents. Somebody will start picking them up. I picked up many a soda bottle growing up and got a whopping .02 cent each for them.

We shop in both WA & ID. In WA, plastic bags are no longer available. In both states, they give us an option, bags or no bags. We chose no bags at all. They bring it out in large plastic totes & empty it all out into whatever you brought. Pretty simple.

Plastic bags were banned here as of Jan 1. We have reusable cloth bags in our vehicles which we eventually will remember to bring in when shopping.

What concerns me if stores let you put the items in a shopping cart loose to take to your car, you know darn well that a lot of the people who do that will leave those carts in the middle of the parking lot, and not return them to the store or cart rack. A lot like they do now, only there will be even more littering the lot. People just figure 'someone else takes care of that' and they leave them next to where they unload them for the most part.

What a friggin' joke!
First it was paper, that was bad because some group said it was bad. Then as a result, plastic bags started to come on the scene and they worked surprisingly well for how ultra thin they are. (Personally I liked paper because it had many uses after it left the store. Plastic bags as well) You could still use paper but the shame of using one was too much! ;)

Now we get to have these wonderful reusable bags that the cat lady with 20 cats sets on her feline counter from hell as well as many others that wouldn't want to wash their precious reusable bag. Heck maybe it's to save the planet by saving water, who knows. The point here is those nasty bags are now on the checkout lanes to share with everyone! So much for your clean bag, you may not want it on your own counter!

Now we have this nanny state control to ban anything certain groups or parties deem bad. The amazing thing is now paper bags are ok! You just have to pay a dime for them.
The crazy part about the plastic bag ban is you can still have your plastic bag for produce, thick plastic clam shells for deli and other items. How about milk jugs!
I remember glass milk jugs, after that milk was in plastic bags with pitcher and followed by waxed paper containers, all before plastic jugs.
What really is the whopper of hypocrisy is water bottles, one water bottle could make 50-75 bags. The people ok with the ban wouldn't want to have their beloved water bottle banned.

To me, this control obsession is like a dog chasing his tail or getting distracted by a squirrel. It's about misguided control of things certain groups deem wrong. (i.g. paper bad, plastic good, paper good, plastic bad.)
Just stop with the control freak shit and work at fixing the problem at hand. It seems like if it can be recycled then why not have an avenue to get these plastics back to make more. The issue here in commie Oregon is, as good as it sounds, the recycling system here is broken. Only very few items are accepted and things like batteries, glass, Styrofoam, certain plastics and many other items are not.

Rant over for now.....
Phew, I feel better already! ;)

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm amazed and constantly surprised how all y'all let some faceless unknown authority figure dictate the most trivial details of your lives without complaint and no thought. These same authority figures can't be relied on to fix a pothole in a timely manner, yet you are relying on them to save the world?

Interesting...and curious.

Reactions: reddvltj and Hog
It’s not about things that are recyclable, everything is recyclable, Hitler was making diesel out of trash. It’s about creating an incentive to recycle, either make it profitable to or illegal not to. But the goal has to be to get the mtys back to the bottler so they don’t get into the trash.

So grocery day came and I headed down to Walmart. Finished all of my shopping and made it to the register before realizing that I left all of my newly delivered reusable shopping bags at home.🤬
I have to give kudos to Walmart. Instead of the usual plastic or paper bags they were offering some very decent reusable plastic grocery bags for the required 5 cents. I may make another trip just to pick up a few more bags. They are pretty sturdy and well worth a nickel.

graph

tumblr_ppplcaRxEa1qdkv8qo1_400.png

Reactions: Equilibrium31
What a friggin' joke!
First it was paper, that was bad because some group said it was bad. Then as a result, plastic bags started to come on the scene and they worked surprisingly well for how ultra thin they are. (Personally I liked paper because it had many uses after it left the store. Plastic bags as well) You could still use paper but the shame of using one was too much! ;)

Now we get to have these wonderful reusable bags that the cat lady with 20 cats sets on her feline counter from hell as well as many others that wouldn't want to wash their precious reusable bag. Heck maybe it's to save the planet by saving water, who knows. The point here is those nasty bags are now on the checkout lanes to share with everyone! So much for your clean bag, you may not want it on your own counter!

Now we have this nanny state control to ban anything certain groups or parties deem bad. The amazing thing is now paper bags are ok! You just have to pay a dime for them.
The crazy part about the plastic bag ban is you can still have your plastic bag for produce, thick plastic clam shells for deli and other items. How about milk jugs!
I remember glass milk jugs, after that milk was in plastic bags with pitcher and followed by waxed paper containers, all before plastic jugs.
What really is the whopper of hypocrisy is water bottles, one water bottle could make 50-75 bags. The people ok with the ban wouldn't want to have their beloved water bottle banned.

To me, this control obsession is like a dog chasing his tail or getting distracted by a squirrel. It's about misguided control of things certain groups deem wrong. (i.g. paper bad, plastic good, paper good, plastic bad.)
Just stop with the control freak shit and work at fixing the problem at hand. It seems like if it can be recycled then why not have an avenue to get these plastics back to make more. The issue here in commie Oregon is, as good as it sounds, the recycling system here is broken. Only very few items are accepted and things like batteries, glass, Styrofoam, certain plastics and many other items are not.

Rant over for now.....
Phew, I feel better already! ;)
Excellent rant!!!👍

I use pickup daily for I own a restaurant and we pickup items daily at Walmart. Apparently we have not banned plastic bags in Ga so items are delivered in bags to my vehicle.. honestly I will keep it the same way until some group of people say something and it’s delivered to my vehicle without bags then I will get some ikea bags or something equivalent and load into them.

If the silly politicians wanted to impact the plastic litter- landfill problem they would mandate a deposit law on any sized drink sold in plastic and force the bottlers to reuse the darn things.
There's no effective way of sterilizing plastic bottles for reuse on that scale, all they can really do is recycle the plastic for some other use. I say they should just go back to the good old fashioned glass bottles that those of my generation and prior grew up on! Recycling was wide spread then, especially by kids, we'd go pick up any and all aluminium cans and glass bottles and return them for their deposits or weight..

Reactions: Squatch and Hog
There's no effective way of sterilizing plastic bottles for reuse on that scale, all they can really do is recycle the plastic for some other use. I say they should just go back to the good old fashioned glass bottles that those of my generation and prior grew up on! Recycling was wide spread then, especially by kids, we'd go pick up any and all aluminium cans and glass bottles and return them for their deposits or weight..
Objectively, using glass bottles and going back to recycling/re-using bottles is a better way to handle packaging. However, it's a bit of pandora's box when it comes to making all packaging disposable. Culturally, everyone is too used just tossing things in the trash and people (especially Americans) can hardly handle getting part of their trash to recycle bins, even when it's single-sort recycling, so there's no way going back to glass would ever work.

Oregon has a .10 cent fee on recyclable bottles. At that price it is definitely enough motivation to return them. On a plus side... my wife reuses to go to the bottle drop. I head down there every few months and walk away with cash that goes towards more Jeep parts. I actually just had FedEx drop off a Savvy engine skid that was partially funded by bottle returns.😁

Objectively, using glass bottles and going back to recycling/re-using bottles is a better way to handle packaging. However, it's a bit of pandora's box when it comes to making all packaging disposable. Culturally, everyone is too used just tossing things in the trash and people (especially Americans) can hardly handle getting part of their trash to recycle bins, even when it's single-sort recycling, so there's no way going back to glass would ever work.
Key word "Culturally".... It was "Cultural" for generations prior to yours to actually go the extra step to put things in their place. We had fresh milk delivered in glass bottles and then picked up, we recycled aluminium cans for play money, we returned glass bottles to get the deposit back, we had paper bags that got reused or re-purposed into school book covers.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Key word "Culturally".... It was "Cultural" for generations prior to yours to actually go the extra step to put things in their place. We had fresh milk delivered in glass bottles and then picked up, we recycled aluminium cans for play money, we returned glass bottles to get the deposit back, we had paper bags that got reused or re-purposed into school book covers.
Not sure what your age is, but yea, we changed to a disposable culture long ago. Pretty much a side effect of plastics being profitable and people who were introduced to disposable packaging accepting it over what they were used to. It took quite a while for it to get through people's heads that throwing stuff away just wasn't sustainable.

Reactions: DrDmoney