Grounding Stud on Engine Block

ItchyDong

Easily Offended
Supporting Member
Does anyone know the size of the grounding stud on the right side of the engine block? I’m going to replace battery and battery cables/grounds and the ring terminals are spinning with the stud. I’ve tried holding the stud and loosening the nut, but she wants to come out as one piece. I’ll keep hitting them with penetrant but in the meantime I’d like to have a bolt on hand if I end up just cutting them and crimping a new ring terminal.

You need an e-Torx socket for the stud end and a wrench on the nut. After spinning the whole assembly the first time and ruining one connection I tried with a vice grip And slightly damaged the stud, forgot I had the e-Torx to match the stud size, and came off with no issues!

I tried the same thing a while back. I ended up leaving it, clipping the old battery ground cable, and adding the new ground to the end with another nut.

You need an e-Torx socket for the stud end and a wrench on the nut. After spinning the whole assembly the first time and ruining one connection I tried with a vice grip And slightly damaged the stud, forgot I had the e-Torx to match the stud size, and came off with no issues!

Yeah I have the e torx and tried holding it. She’s STUCK 😂

• Dislike
Reactions: Morks
I'd just heat the nut and if you have to redo the connections it's easy enough to solder them up!

I ended up cutting the wires and re-terminating. Holding the stud and turning the nut - if you can do it - will work. There is a shoulder on the bolt, behind the ring terminal stackup:

37e.jpg

New stainless 5/16" bolt and the terminal stack mockup (Note star washer on backside):
37f.jpg

In place:
382.jpg

YMMV and all that.