H&R 1” lift

So I've finally got the H&R + Rancho 5000x in my TJ. At first, it felt miles better than the set up from the previous owner. However, as I've been driving it more this week I'm finding the ride pretty rough. It definitely is a more controlled ride and handles better. But it can feel a little like a skateboard at time. Especially on rougher pavement with cracks and potholes. I'm obviously not expecting it to be like a Cadillac but after reading up on them here I was definitely hoping for something softer. I'm wondering if maybe there is a break in period? Or maybe my tire pressure is off? what would be the ideal PSI for 245/70/R16s as a Daily Driver?
Have you managed to get your TJ running any more smoothly yet?

Have you managed to get your TJ running any more smoothly yet?
MUCH better. Turns out my mechanic had inflated them to 38 psi after he changed the suspension. Riding a lot smoother at 29 psi. Thanks @JMT

@UKTJ I’d say it’s definitely a lot better than what was in there before. Feels a lot more planted on the motorway, especially when driving at 70mph. It also handles potholes and jolts smoother as well. Better around corners too. However, It’s definitely not like driving a Cadillac (almost as it’s sometimes been talked up like on here) but it’s very smooth for a 4x4. Overall I’d say it was worth the money and hassle getting shipped over.

Reactions: UKTJ and JMT
MUCH better. Turns out my mechanic had inflated them to 38 psi after he changed the suspension. Riding a lot smoother at 29 psi. Thanks @JMT

@UKTJ I’d say it’s definitely a lot better than what was in there before. Feels a lot more planted on the motorway, especially when driving at 70mph. It also handles potholes and jolts smoother as well. Better around corners too. However, It’s definitely not like driving a Cadillac (almost as it’s sometimes been talked up like on here) but it’s very smooth for a 4x4. Overall I’d say it was worth the money and hassle getting shipped over.
That's good to know, I was a bit worried that maybe the Rancho shocks weren't suited to UK roads.

Not sure how they’ll last long term but so far so good. They really come into their own on country roads.
Sounds good. IIRC you ordered them from Summit Racing. If you don't mind me asking, would you be able to share the duty and VAT you got hit with on them?

Sounds good. IIRC you ordered them from Summit Racing. If you don't mind me asking, would you be able to share the duty and VAT you got hit with on them?
Here’s my invoice from them. The springs came from a German seller on eBay but you can also get them on Amazon. There is an EU version with a different part number. Same spring rate, just the EU one is a 35mm lift vs the US 1 inch lift. The part number is in my build thread I believe.
5943D8B8-B7B8-4E26-89F9-FF6C0B5B28D8.jpeg

Here’s my invoice from them. The springs came from a German seller on eBay but you can also get them on Amazon. There is an EU version with a different part number. Same spring rate, just the EU one is a 35mm lift vs the US 1 inch lift. The part number is in my build thread I believe. View attachment 236907
That's helpful, thx. Did the shocks from the US come to you without a request / demand for Duty and VAT to be paid before they would be delivered?

That's helpful, thx. Did the shocks from the US come to you without a request / demand for Duty and VAT to be paid before they would be delivered?
Yes, when you checkout on Summit, they give you 4 shipping options. One of those options includes the import duty and VAT. You pay the fees to Summit and then they handle all the import paperwork. It’s a great service, couldn’t be easier really.

Yes, when you checkout on Summit, they give you 4 shipping options. One of those options includes the import duty and VAT. You pay the fees to Summit and then they handle all the import paperwork. It’s a great service, couldn’t be easier really.
Ah, brilliant, so probably built into the shipping cost line I guess.

Anyone can tell me how I can find thew H&R 1" springs for TJ? any part numbers?

EDIT: nevermind I found it!

H&R 52107​

Last edited:
Anyone can tell me how I can find thew H&R 1" springs for TJ? any part numbers?

EDIT: nevermind I found it!

H&R 52107​

That's the stock number I installed in my 2000 TJ, 4.0, hard top, Genright extended range fuel tank, Bulletproof rear bumper. All that detail is to show my Jeep butt is heavy. The H&Rs raised my front a little over an inch, but I had to add a 1.25" coil spacer in back to level it. With Rancho 5000x shocks, the wee thing handles as perfectly as did my old Scout II with Rancho springs and shocks. Front travel is increased just enough to smooth out ditches and bumps. I wish I had found these years ago.

Ah, brilliant, so probably built into the shipping cost line I guess.
Yeah, that price on the bottom is all in.

FWIW, I grew up in California and I found the roads a lot rougher there than in the UK. Potholes galore! So generally, I find any of the recommendations on here is more than sufficient for the UK.

Yeah, that price on the bottom is all in.

FWIW, I grew up in California and I found the roads a lot rougher there than in the UK. Potholes galore! So generally, I find any of the recommendations on here is more than sufficient for the UK.
Completely appreciate that, despite the complaints, UK roads are generally better than US ones. My concern was therefore the opposite, i.e. that the shocks would cater more for the perceived US preference for a softer ride, so was worried they may be considered a bit 'wallowy' in the UK.

Completely appreciate that, despite the complaints, UK roads are generally better than US ones. My concern was therefore the opposite, i.e. that the shocks would cater more for the perceived US preference for a softer ride, so was worried they may be considered a bit 'wallowy' in the UK.
Haha yeah, definitely not wallowy. It’s a good balance between the softness from the Ranchos and the sport spring from H&R. I don’t have anything to compare it to (Bilsten, OME, etc) but it definitely still feels sporty. Well as sporty as a TJ can feel.

You're much smarter than most. Everyone is running from Cali now.:)

So I've done about 600 miles on the Rancho/H&R set up and overall it's great on most surfaces. It's a lot more assured on the highway. Only thing I don't like is it can be a little bouncy on potholes but over all they are good. However, there is a noticeable vibration at higher speeds (50mph+). It's a very sharp vibration, the type you feel in your bones. Sort of the type you get in a low riding sports car with very thin tyres. Not sure what it can be. Maybe the lower control arms or ball joints? I've noticed there's a rough country steering stabiliser on it. Not how good they are or how they compare to the OEM or Rancho one. Anyone have an experience with them? Could that be the issue?

Reactions: H_Nunez
So I've done about 600 miles on the Rancho/H&R set up and overall it's great on most surfaces. It's a lot more assured on the highway. Only thing I don't like is it can be a little bouncy on potholes but over all they are good. However, there is a noticeable vibration at higher speeds (50mph+). It's a very sharp vibration, the type you feel in your bones. Sort of the type you get in a low riding sports car with very thin tyres. Not sure what it can be. Maybe the lower control arms or ball joints? I've noticed there's a rough country steering stabiliser on it. Not how good they are or how they compare to the OEM or Rancho one. Anyone have an experience with them? Could that be the issue?
Hi, I`ve got the same vibration kicking in at about 50mph, I have the same setup as you (Ranchos + H&R). I`ve playing around dropping the transfer case pan with not much success, I also measured my drivetrain angles and they seem to be ok... Let`s see what the rest of the forum suggests,,,