Half Door Weatherstrip Channel?

LHC30

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a pair of Mopar half doors from an early TJ that I'm repainting to match the 02. I pulled the weatherstrip off and found it was in a plastic channel that was glued and plastic pinned to the doors. I cant find any reference to parts for these channels. Anyone know about them? The weatherstrip is good and I'd like to re-use it.

I dont know if you’ll be able to use just the seal. Newer seals will come with more pins to hold it on but you’ll have to drill some holes for some of them to go in.

So they did away with this channel and made the weatherstrip and pins one piece?
Who’s the best mfg for a new set then?
Thanks

Yes, they did.

I’ve heard MOPAR still makes some and the come with a template to mark where to drill new holes. I’d say these are the best quality, but pricey.

Crown, Fairchild, Omix-Ada and a place called APDTY all have them too. Less expensive but have seen where some had problems with the seals poking out of the body/door seams.

They are probably like everything; some have good results, some have not-so-good.

Just to follow up this thread — in case anyone searches and stumbles on it.

Mopar discontinued use of the 'channel' style weatherstrip around April 1999. Everything after that was the seal that was directly applied to the door, with the extra pin locations.

Mopar eventually discontinued making the replacement old style weatherstrip ('97-early '99), and as pointed out above went to a 'universal' style that matches the later '99-'06 style. The replacements do come with the templates which will allow you to locate the new pin locations and drill them out without too much trouble (you have to remove the channel and the foam adhesive first).

You can then — in theory — use any of the aftermarket seals that have the extra pins if you need a replacement in the future. You essentially convert your doors to the later style.

Good info, thanks @acct21 .

I just recently bought the seals with template for my half-door project. The templates were great and easy to use. A buddy is painting the doors when he gets time. I'm looking forward to getting them on the Jeep.

I don't remember which exact one, but it was one of the online MOPAR parts dealers.