Handheld GMRS recommendations?

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
Anyone have a handheld they would recommend? Something that is repeater ready in case I ever decide to play with those. Thanks.

Anyone have a handheld they would recommend? Something that is repeater ready in case I ever decide to play with those. Thanks.
How much do you want to spend? They range from $29- $160.
I have a Radiodity GM30. It was $35. Also have a Baufeng UV-9G. It's IP67 rated as waterproof and goes in the jeep as a spare HT. Both are repeater capable. Both radios can be programed via a computer with the proper programing cable, or programed on the fly.
Wouxon makes some nicer units, but they are more coin. KG-935G is one that I'd like to get eventually.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and Alex01
To be honest I do t know much about them at all. I want something fairly simple but can be hand programmed to use repeaters. Really looking for a better way to communicate over a CB.

To be honest I do t know much about them at all. I want something fairly simple but can be hand programmed to use repeaters. Really looking for a better way to communicate over a CB.
GMRS, IMO is truly a better way for sure. It's a small learning curve, but once you understand the basics, it's really quite easy to understand for reliable coms.

This is a great starter kit. My co-worker bought this kit, and he didn't know jack squat about GMRS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7MVVBH/?tag=wranglerorg-20
It's basically the clone of the Radioddity GM30 I mentioned.

This guy has good Youtube videos on the subject:

Don't let the keypad intimidate you. You basically don't use most of them, but if you want simpler, the Retevis RB27 is an option.

There are a bunch of repeaters in your area too. Oroville, Chico, The Buttes, Redding, Sac, etc.

I looked at a map last night. Seemed most were private/ permission needed. Have not done mush research into that yet.

I looked at a map last night. Seemed most were private/ permission needed. Have not done mush research into that yet.
Yeah, that is the one drawback. Many repeaters are private, but if you sign up on the MyGMRS website, you can ask permission to access the tones to their repeaters. If you do Facefuck, you can get in to the North Valley GMRS group. They have several repeaters in your area that are linked. I can help you with some of that if you get more interested in the hobby. At some point you'll need to buy a GMRS license to keep legit.

Yes I plan to get the license and be all legal like. Just want to be able to communicate while on the trail or out hunting.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yes we all have frs radios. They obviously have their limits.
Yes, their range is limited for sure. Enter the beauty of repeater access. Don't expect a GMRS radio to have much more range than a FRS radio. Both are line of sight, and local conditions play a huge role in range. Altitude is king. I can hit a local repeater 35 miles away as the crow flies. Conditions allow it.

Personally, I prefer the Midland series GMRS radios. I did a ton of testing last year with a couple of "higher" wattage HAM radios, and a few different "high performance" antennas but the off the shelf Midland's outperformed everything else. Plus you can pair the handhelds with their 12v mobile units for longer range - if needed.

Hope this helps in your research: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB06WDI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'd just go with a Baofeng UV-5r, they're so cheap they're damn near disposable. Bonus is you can run the common HAM bands and even program it with CHIRP from a computer.

Edit: not a current UV-5r, see @pagrey 's comment below that new ones don't do GMRS too.

Last edited:
I'd just go with a Baofeng UV-5r, they're so cheap they're damn near disposable. Bonus is you can run the common HAM bands and even program it with CHIRP from a computer.

Prepare to be underwhelmed :)

For the price I would HIGHLY recommend buying a pair of the Midlands at the same time and doing some A/B testing on range and then return whichever pair was the low-performer. Its much better to test the range of your radios around your neighborhood before you need to rely on them on the trail.

Prepare to be underwhelmed :)

For the price I would HIGHLY recommend buying a pair of the Midlands at the same time and doing some A/B testing on range and then return whichever pair was the low-performer. Its much better to test the range of your radios around your neighborhood before you need to rely on them on the trail.
This is a non issue for many, you need to consider the use case of owning the radio, especially considering a handheld. If a radio is your only lifeline then I wouldn't even depend on my hard mounted HAM/GMRS at pretty solid power.

There's a good bit of value in being able to use HAM bands too, since that's a bigger network with a lot more repeaters (at least in my area when you start to get remote at all).