Hands free calling: is it possible in a TJ?

Pioneer digital media receiver with bluetooth. I have the mic clipped to the visor. Works fine in town with safari top and half doors. Jeep doesn't get much highway time and I have not used it there.
One plus is, nobody calls me. They know better!

Looks like a lot of junk toys on ebay. Not many consistently good reviews.
I did find this though. Looks like its not quite developed though. http://iasus-concepts.com/throat-mics/stealth/
Conceptually that looks pretty neat. I need to remember if I get time at work today to try and find my credentials for the Harris website and see if they have anything that could be compatible or converted to be.

My Recommendation would be look at the marine market, the one in our ski boat works really well surprisingly, I believe it's a Clarion. Plus you gain some water resistance. In the jeep I use my LG pro ear buds, but even w that if going up a hill people have a hard time, but that is partially due to my new exhaust tip being 2" shorter then the body (keep meaning to fix that lol). I pretty much use the ear buds in all our vehicles, I don't like it in my wifes Armada, or my new ram 5500, to me they are ok, but not as clear as the LG, only car we have that is good is the vette, but summer only tires and an exhaust that goes into stealth mode probably play a big role in that.

I must say I'm surprised by Jerry's BMW though.....

It never dawned on me to use a hands free setup over the stereo of the boat. I have a nice wake boat, with a ridiculous stereo in it. Having the calls over the tower speakers might be a bit much. Lol

It never dawned on me to use a hands free setup over the stereo of the boat. I have a nice wake boat, with a ridiculous stereo in it. Having the calls over the tower speakers might be a bit much. Lol
Yeah we have an x45 with tower speakers, first call scared the hell out of us, I didn't realize it it would do calls, I thought I was just streaming music lol. Gives new meaning to conference call.... your right though no one needs a 1000 watt speaker phone, when people would talk and the subs hit I felt like I was being scolded by God.. hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Airjunky
I have hands free in mine with the Kenwood unit. After sound deadening the interior of my TJ it’s not bad at speed at all. Before that though it sucked big time, and with the top off it was obviously a complete joke.
How did you sound deaden the interior?

My TJ has no carpet, hard doors, a soft top & mud terrain tires. I'm sure there is no prayer of the hands free BT over the stereo being usable at speed, much less with the doors or top off.
But what about a BT ear piece with noise canceling? Maybe one of those bone conductive things? Anyone have something that is usable in a Jeep?
I don't take/make calls in the TJ my world, my space, me having fun. The rest of the world can go away.

My JVC Headunit came with a mic and it works great!

I have about the same noisy environment you do (e.g., factory soft top, full doors, mud-terrains). Last year I installed a double din android head unit. It came with a wired microphone.

I can make and take calls pretty well. Fine for short communications like, "when will you be home?" Friends that I have spoken with on the phone say it is a little noisy. The more physically isolated the microphone is from the Jeep the better.

I have a kenwood digital-only (no disc) stereo with Bluetooth and I use it. The other side can hear me as long as my doors are on and I'm not blasting full speed down the interstate with the top off. I do also have all my carpet, pretty quiet BFG KO2s, and shifter boots are in good shape.

I have the factory head unit with the Bluetooth and usb option from these guys https://gromaudio.com/ uses the aux input and works well I have a cradle with usb Charger that plugs into their input and plays through the stereo with a mike above the mirror. Works good got it off of an forum member who upgraded his factory unit