Hands free calling: is it possible in a TJ?

Airjunky

TJ Enthusiast
My TJ has no carpet, hard doors, a soft top & mud terrain tires. I'm sure there is no prayer of the hands free BT over the stereo being usable at speed, much less with the doors or top off.
But what about a BT ear piece with noise canceling? Maybe one of those bone conductive things? Anyone have something that is usable in a Jeep?

I have a hands free stereo. Full doors and a soft top. No issues. I have the Trektop nx and I’ll flip the sun roof back as well. Again. No issues.

Reactions: Igoo65 and Airjunky
Wow, that surprises me that anyone can hear you very well, especially with the top off.

I’ve been using my hands free stereo for years now. 2 different soft tops. A hard top. Full doors and full soft doors. But door-less? Not a chance.

Reactions: Airjunky
I have a El cheapo head unit (i meen $30 cheap) with bluetooth it works with no top half doors on city roads (ok ish) but freeway is no chance in hell.

I have hands free in mine with the Kenwood unit. After sound deadening the interior of my TJ it’s not bad at speed at all. Before that though it sucked big time, and with the top off it was obviously a complete joke.

Thanks everyone for your input. I found the mic for my Sony stereo on Amazon for $8. So I'll give that a shot. Even has a little foam wind screen on it.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Just thought I'd put a close on this idea. I bought the $8 mic from Sony that fits this deck. Mounted it on the drivers side A pillar. When I pulled the deck out to plug it in, I found a cut wire already plugged in..... so apparently someone has tried this once before. It works OK overall. Pretty good at slow speeds, like below 40 mph. Then over that it's just too noisy for the other person to hear much. I guess the price was right.

I'm not even happy with my phone's hands free performance in my BMW. I can do hands free in my wife's Lexus and people say it's acceptable at the other end, but barely so even in my (convertible with the top up) BMW.

In my TJ? Not a chance. I have to pull over to talk on the phone even though I have plenty of hands-free Bluetooth technology available to me. Even a good wireless connection to my hearing aids. It's the outgoing voice via the remote microphone that has too much noise in it to work well enough to use in the Jeep.

Reactions: Airjunky
Yea, I fully expected to need some sort of headset/earbud to work in the Jeep when I started this thread. Surprisingly, some of you guys said it was do-able, so I setup the mic, and frankly, it's better than I expected. Easily worth the $8.

Coming from a DD of an 05 Chevy Avalanche & my wife's 14 Jeep GC, where handsfree calling is easily done, at ANY speed. In fact, it works fine in the Avalanche with the back of the truck completely open, I just have to roll up the front windows.

Reactions: JMT
My JVC has an external speaker. I mounted it on the driver’s side of the HVAC unit. It works well coming through my beefed up stereo system. Doorless and topless, no way.

Check on ebay, amazon, Best Buy, or your local Truck Stop. They have a boom mic, but I've never seen a throat mic.
Unfortunately I will have to go online for those first three (dislike that vs physical shopping). And the local truck stops are "lacking" for a better term. What kind of truck stop doesn't even sell coax? Will check though. May have to see if I can find a throat mic on surplus or a DRMO auction and can modify it. If there are civilian ones and they work even half as good as the .mil's then even topless on the interstate should be decently clear on the receiving end of the conversation.

Edit: I can't type without my 18th cup of coffee in the evening.

Got a link/source for that? It has my attention between .mil experience and... well, video games. I'm also curious if anyone might make a throat mic. Damn this forum gives me too many ideas... :)

Looks like a lot of junk toys on ebay. Not many consistently good reviews.
I did find this though. Looks like its not quite developed though. http://iasus-concepts.com/throat-mics/stealth/