Has anyone everyone bought or sold a Jeep and had it shipped?

I considered shipping and renting a Uhaul. Uhaul wouldn't just rent me the trailer, required I rent a truck with a trailer. I had contacted a couple shippers, but they wanted $2000 - $3000 and the soonest they could pick up was a month.

My LJ was in New Mexico and was manual. I didn't know how to drive a manual. Ended up paying a friend to go with me and teach me manual on the way home.

It just depends on whether you're willing to deal with that, how far away it is, etc. I have more time than money. :D

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
I considered shipping and renting a Uhaul. Uhaul wouldn't just rent me the trailer, required I rent a truck with a trailer. I had contacted a couple shippers, but they wanted $2000 - $3000 and the soonest they could pick up was a month.

My LJ was in New Mexico and was manual. I didn't know how to drive a manual. Ended up paying a friend to go with me and teach me manual on the way home.

It just depends on whether you're willing to deal with that, how far away it is, etc. I have more time than money. :D
Why would Uhaul not rent a trailer? I'm assuming you did not have a tow vehicle that met their requirement but would like to know anyway.

I bought my current Jeep in Houston. Drove there in my truck, rented a Uhaul trailer and towed it back. 1850 miles round trip. Uhaul trailer was about $150, gas was about $250. Gas was very cheap then, last May.

Why would Uhaul not rent a trailer? I'm assuming you did not have a tow vehicle that met their requirement but would like to know anyway.

I bought my current Jeep in Houston. Drove there in my truck, rented a Uhaul trailer and towed it back. 1850 miles round trip. Uhaul trailer was about $150, gas was about $250. Gas was very cheap then, last May.

I don't remember all the details (6+ years ago), but sounds right. They didn't like the tow rig and would only rent me a 25' Uhaul + the car hauler. Looked into a F150 rental and ended up just driving the Jeep back to save money.

I've sold and purchased numerous vehicles from out of state. It's always been on the buyer to arrange pickup and transport.

The biggest piece of advice I could give you is to make sure you have secured the payment before releasing the vehicle.

What did that cost Chris? I have two vehicles I'll be shipping from here in San Diego to Florida next year. Good to have a recommendation for Road Riunner and Uship thanks!
I also used Road Runner to ship mine from New Mexico to Florida in Feb-March of 2020. It cost $1200. That was just as Covid-times were beginning.

To the original poster, even though I'd done a couple military moves, this was my first shipping a 4-wheel vehicle. (I was able to move a motorcycle in my household goods, so lets not count that one.)

When it came to shipping, was it intimidating? Totally. However, there are some things that will help you out.

If you go the broker route it will be more expensive, period. I chose who I did (Road Runner) because it was recommended to me by the dealership where I purchased my Jeep. My thought was, if they used them to ship their vehicle to other dealers/buyers, I'd use it to ship mine. I had to make the call and set up pickup dates and location, but that was it.

Since it was at a dealership, I didn't care when the Jeep was picked it up, as long as it was during business hours. The dealership sent the Jeep on temporary New Mexico tags so I could drive it when I got it. They sent all the necessary paperwork via FEDEX about a week later, that's when I got it registered here in Florida.

Cost can fluctuate depending on how far off the main interstate the vehicle is being picked up and/or delivered, aside from all the other things (closed vs. open carrier; vehicle running or not; etc.). This also affects how soon someone is able to pick up the vehicle. If both ends are close to major hubs, and you are flexible on when things happen, it can be cheaper and happen sooner. If, like me, you have to wait for someone to be cruising past Roswell, then you might add a day or more to your waiting. Once it was picked up, I was able to kind of track where it was. It wasn't to the minute/hour, but I remember it being decent.

The driver called me the day before he arrived to talk about where he would be able to drop the Jeep. You may read that shipments are done door-to-door, but my neighborhood wouldn't support a 50-60 foot long, double-stack vehicle trailer, so I met the driver at a rest stop on the interstate about 10 miles away. A friend drove me there and for me this change of drop off location was no issue. The driver had my Jeep unloaded when I got there. He showed me pictures he had taken when he picked up the Jeep and we did an inspection for damages then and there, and I signed receipt documents digitally and took the keys. I got an email of all those pictures and delivery information shortly afterwards.

All in all, it was a decent exchange, and now feels so much less intimidating since I've done it once.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
U-Haul has long had a policy of not renting trailers to Wrangler drivers due to them considering it a convertible. Yes, stupid.
I think we were talking about a trailer to haul the Jeep not to be towed by the Jeep. There is no way a trailer/small car combo can be light enough for a Jeep to tow it.

I shipped my LJ Rubi from Texas to CT a few winters ago, $900 plus a tip for the diver. I used Mach 1 Transport, they came reccomended by the dealership.

There is now a site, lemon something that has 3rd party guys go out and scope the car before you buy it.

In 2005 I bought my ‘62 CJ-5 from a guy on a message board from South Carolina. I sent a cashier’s check, and once he received it he sent the title and I arranged transport. $800 from SC to NH. I used a broker IIRC, but it’s been a while. It was a pretty seamless experience, but looking back, I’m kind of amazed that a) I did it and b) it all worked out.

Reactions: FarFire70
I bought my TJ out of Ohio and had it shipped to Texas. I hired a pre-purchase inspection service to go out and look at the Jeep before I pulled the trigger (they did a shitty job). I paid ~$175

I don't remember what company I used to transport the Jeep but It cost me around $1000. It was pretty smooth.

Reactions: FarFire70