Has anyone purchased a Canadian TJ before?

MCSlater

Hey everybody. So I was wondering if anyone has purchased a Canadian vehicle before and what there experience was with it? I am looking at a 2004 Rubicon that is in great shape externally and internally. It has 78k miles. I am awaiting engine and under carriage pics though so we'll see. I know rust is probably the main issue here but wanted to ask if there was anything else. Just a note, the jeep is already in the states and registered here and passed emissions and converted over to mph and miles. Thanks!

The only input that I may have is that it will probably have DRL's.
And, it depends on where it lived in Canada as to how much rust it may or may not have.

Not to mention how much TLC it had.

What is DRLs? Not up to terms with the lingo yet. First jeep experience. The Jeep honestly looks in phenomenal shape. I had a jeep guru look at it and he said its looks incredible and was well cared for, at least when it comes to pics

What is DRLs? Not up to terms with the lingo yet. First jeep experience. The Jeep honestly looks in phenomenal shape. I had a jeep guru look at it and he said its looks incredible and was well cared for, at least when it comes to pics

Daytime running lights.

So live in Canada and I bought my 2000 Jeep TJ 4.0L a year and a half ago and the one thing I will mention (which has already been kinda mentioned) is because Daytime Running Lights are mandatory in Canada. If you install LED aftermarket headlights the Daytime Running Lights will start to flicker. I believe this is because the Daytime Running Lights are wired so they turn on the brights at half power, and the LEDs don't like that. Other then that things I looked for was rust because they salt the living sh*t out of the roads here. If you know which part of Canada it lives (BC is better because they have pretty winters and don't salt as much). Other then that, just look at it the same way you would look at a US TJ.

Just the confidence I need lol

Not because it's going to need a lot of work. If you're buying a jeep, you probably already have a touch of the bug. Once you get a jeep, it grows inside of you, causing you to relieve pressure on your hind end by emptying your wallet.

Reactions: MCSlater
Not because it's going to need a lot of work. If you're buying a jeep, you probably already have a touch of the bug. Once you get a jeep, it grows inside of you, causing you to relieve pressure on your hind end by emptying your wallet.

Lol gotcha. Yea my brother is a jeep man through and through and is already telling me what I need to do and upgrade

I bought a 99 Sahara for my son, awesome jeep. the only real difference we found was when upgrading the headlights to LED, due to the DRLs (Daylight Running Lights)

Oh, and my son couldn't figure out why it had an 110v electric plug! :rolleyes:

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Is there an issue with DRLs or just preference to change them?
OEM Jeep lights are notoriously dim so most I have seen upgrade them to LEDs. the DRLs tend to complicate it a little

During normal night operation the headlights are on full voltage, but during the day with them off they get only half voltage so they were dim, but they were on. There is a magnetic sensor in the transmission. once it senses movement, it applies voltage.
If you start your jeep, put it in gear, no light, but once you start to move they turned on, and stay on till you turned it off

Easy to eliminate the DRL function, cut the orange/white wire at the Lighting Module, or buy a USA Module, maybe $40.00

Rust in Canada is like rust everywhere. But with just 78K miles it might have never been winter driven. Where in Canada did it come from ?

I kinda specialize in buying Canadian vehicles having owned maybe 40 of them.

Last edited: