Has anyone put 33s on their 2.5 TJ without re-gearing?

alex14

Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum after years of reading all of your useful inputs. I have an 01 Tj SE 4 cylinder automatic and I run 31x10.5x15 tires on it now. Even before I put on 31's it was slow, and the slowness doesn't bother me, my jeep gets me everywhere I want to go. It's time for new tires, and I want to go up to 33x12.5x15, I now have a 3.25 inch lift but the gearing and axles are stock. I want to know if anyone has done this on their jeep without regearing it. I am also open to and considering 32x11.5x15 if that meant my jeep would not need to regeared. I'm not concerned about power, I am concerned about my tranny and axles more than anything. Thanks for the help.

What is your gear ratio now? It’s hard to believe it doesn’t need to be regeared as an SE with 31’s, 32’s, or 33’s. They’re anemic. Granted, you don’t care, but why so negative about regearing?

Reactions: pc1p
I believe its 3.73. No other reason against regearing other than the cost, not the end of the world but just wanted to see if anybody has gotten away without regearing.

What is your gear ratio now? It’s hard to believe it doesn’t need to be regeared as an SE with 31’s, 32’s, or 33’s. They’re anemic. Granted, you don’t care, but why so negative about regearing?
I believe its 3.73. No other reason against regearing other than the cost, not the end of the world but just wanted to see if anybody has gotten away without regearing.

Reactions: JMT
Your Jeep does have 3.73 gearing. Not regearing won't hurt anything except your self esteem when 1988 Yugos and Cops on horseback pass you going up hills. :cool:
p.s. A guy I knew ran 35s on a stock geared 4 cylinder Jeep and beat the Hell out of it. Slow was alright with him.

You'll never "get away" from anyone, or anything with that gearing in your SE on 33s. It certainly won't hurt to run it though

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'm running factory 3.07s on 33s now. It sucks but it's drivable...you essentially have a three speed and it seems like all the common speeds are either 3500 or 1600 rpm... screaming or lugging.

I've ordered Super 30 and 35 parts... going 4.88...seems everyone is backordered on Eaton E-Locker Super 35s...so stuck and waiting for parts.

-Mac

Reactions: Sancho
Hey, you might enjoy this thread, where the consensus seems to be that after 31" tires, you're going to notice the need for gears more and more. But I don't think it would hurt anything to do 33s first, and then see how much it bothers you, and re-gear later if you want to.

How do you know? You told me to ask.
p.s. The vodka and tacos help with your happiness too. 😇
From owing this little YJ 4 banger on 29's then, 31's and then, 33's and then a re-gear to 4:88's 😉

YJ.jpg

YJ Rubicon.jpg

Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum after years of reading all of your useful inputs. I have an 01 Tj SE 4 cylinder automatic and I run 31x10.5x15 tires on it now. Even before I put on 31's it was slow, and the slowness doesn't bother me, my jeep gets me everywhere I want to go. It's time for new tires, and I want to go up to 33x12.5x15, I now have a 3.25 inch lift but the gearing and axles are stock. I want to know if anyone has done this on their jeep without regearing it. I am also open to and considering 32x11.5x15 if that meant my jeep would not need to regeared. I'm not concerned about power, I am concerned about my tranny and axles more than anything. Thanks for the help.

Engine and transmission are gonna suffer if you dont have the proper gears.

Think engine lugging and/or overrevving to maintain speed.

I'm running factory 3.07s on 33s now. It sucks but it's drivable...you essentially have a three speed and it seems like all the common speeds are either 3500 or 1600 rpm... screaming or lugging.

I've ordered Super 30 and 35 parts... going 4.88...seems everyone is backordered on Eaton E-Locker Super 35s...so stuck and waiting for parts.

-Mac
He already has a three speed (auto) :)

Regear to 4:88's at least and you will be much happier, ask me how I know
While 4.88 would be good ratio for 33's with the 5-speed and 2.5 engine, it'd produce excessive highway rpms with his 3-speed automatic. If it were mine I'd go 4.56 for 33's with the 2.5 and 3-speed automatic.