Has anyone used the Dynomax UltraFlo SS Muffler?

machoheadgames

LED turn signal club
Supporting Member
Title pretty much says it all. I’ve used a Dynomax “cat-back” in the past which came with a very cheap aluminized super turbo muffler. It sounded great but it fell apart on me at around 2 years (front pipe pulled out of the muffler) and it was making leaking noises probably a year before that. So no good on that one.

However, I loved the way it sounded, because it was quiet. Not a lot of quiet options out there, basically Walker and Dynomax which are ultimately the same brand anyways.

So, I’m looking at the UltraFlo SS and the corresponding tailpipe. Not a kit. The UltraFlo SS looks to be good quality compared to the old super turbo I had problems with, so I’m interested. It appears that in other vehicles it has no drone, which is what I liked about the previous. I’m hoping that would apply to the Jeep 4.0 as well (no drone). All the name brand catalog stuff is too loud for me. Just want the highest quality quiet option I am able to achieve. The Dyno looks a bit better than the Walker standard SS which is why I’m debating the choice. Otherwise I’d just go Walker.

I have no experience with any of those mufflers, but I too was looking for a better sound without getting loud. I went with this
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Muffler 11225: 2.25"/2.25" Inlet/Outlet, 4x9x14" Oval, Stainless Steel, Satin Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COWU7A?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's perfect as far as I'm concerned. No drone, not loud, good tone. Magnaflow and Borla are the only brands I've never had fall apart on me across multiple vehicles over the years, so I had no issues spending a little extra for the Magnaflow.

Flowmaster 942442: Muffler, Delta Flow 40 Series, 2 1/4 in. Inlet/2 1/4 in. Outlet, Steel, Black, Each - Flowmaster Super 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers go a step beyond their original 40 Series product. By precisely placing three internal baffles in the case, and welding them to exacting specifications, the 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers not only out-scavenge the originals, but they also provide superior reductions in exterior sound levels and resonance, which are transmitted through the exhaust system and into the vehicle.

Title pretty much says it all. I’ve used a Dynomax “cat-back” in the past which came with a very cheap aluminized super turbo muffler. It sounded great but it fell apart on me at around 2 years (front pipe pulled out of the muffler) and it was making leaking noises probably a year before that. So no good on that one.

However, I loved the way it sounded, because it was quiet. Not a lot of quiet options out there, basically Walker and Dynomax which are ultimately the same brand anyways.

So, I’m looking at the UltraFlo SS and the corresponding tailpipe. Not a kit. The UltraFlo SS looks to be good quality compared to the old super turbo I had problems with, so I’m interested. It appears that in other vehicles it has no drone, which is what I liked about the previous. I’m hoping that would apply to the Jeep 4.0 as well (no drone). All the name brand catalog stuff is too loud for me. Just want the highest quality quiet option I am able to achieve. The Dyno looks a bit better than the Walker standard SS which is why I’m debating the choice. Otherwise I’d just go Walker.

I installed this muffler and following exhaust pipe on my TJ soon after purchasing it 3 years ago.
Very content with its quality and non obnoxious tone. It’s actually almost as quiet as the stock system would be.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I have had this one for 3 1/2 years. No issues. Nice tone, no drone and sounds great at idle. Slightly louder than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029J3BG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I should have added I have a Magnaflow hi-flow cat. My cat came apart inside and it was cheaper to get the MF manifold back system than to have a cat installed so I decide to replace the muffler and tail pipe while doing the install. All in I spent about $50 more than having a cat welded in.

Just commenting on drone, when I had my Tacoma 4.0 v6. The popular forum muffler would be the magma Flo. Some would say great /others to loud… if you dig a little deeper the difference being the case length of the muffler everyone was purchasing. The longer the case length the more muffler there is to do “muffler” things less noise/drone complaints. So if your leaning quiet keep that length piece of information in mind. Magna Flo worked well for me on the Tacoma and likely what I will do on the Jeep.

I have had this one for 3 1/2 years. No issues. Nice tone, no drone and sounds great at idle. Slightly louder than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029J3BG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That’s the one (17731) that came in my catback kit that fell apart on me. Maybe I just got unlucky. I’m hoping something in SS would be better. I installed the catback in April 2015, it started making leaky noises in early 2017, I didn’t drive it much in 2018 and then when I went to add a new catback in 2019 the thing completely broke apart when I was gently removing it. You can see how thin the material is though. It spent its whole life in Texas so I was shocked when it came apart.

IMG_3920.jpeg

IMG_3921.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed this muffler and following exhaust pipe on my TJ soon after purchasing it 3 years ago.
Very content with its quality and non obnoxious tone. It’s actually almost as quiet as the stock system would be.

Thanks, got any sound clips or pics? I did more digging and Dynomax themselves says the UF SS would be louder than a Super Turbo, but I’m not sure how much or if it would even matter. Super turbo was slightly louder than stock and I was perfectly happy with it. Only reason I ever got rid of it was because it fell apart. If Ultra Flo SS was similar sound but held together better, I’d be all over it.

Just commenting on drone, when I had my Tacoma 4.0 v6. The popular forum muffler would be the magma Flo. Some would say great /others to loud… if you dig a little deeper the difference being the case length of the muffler everyone was purchasing. The longer the case length the more muffler there is to do “muffler” things less noise/drone complaints. So if your leaning quiet keep that length piece of information in mind. Magna Flo worked well for me on the Tacoma and likely what I will do on the Jeep.

Yes, the longer the muffler the better. Though in a SWB jeep you’re pretty much stuck to roughly 19” total length and 13 or so inch body length on mufflers. Which is the norm, anything not that size would typically be smaller and louder.

I have a MagnaFlow currently which replaced the Dynomax that fell apart. It’s not as bad as Flowmaster but it drones on the highway. I never noticed Dynomax drone or at least if it did it wasn’t enough to bother me, so I’m trying to get back to something like that, but that will hold up better in SS.

I had the Dynomax Ultraflow SS on an XJ. It is similar to a Magnaflow muffler but seemed slightly cheaper made. I would say it's volume level was somewhere near a Flowmaster 50 series or 18" Magnaflow. Not obnoxious but definitely not quiet like stock. The Walker Quietflow SS seems to hold up a little better than the aluminized Dynomax Turbo, and is quieter. I've had pretty much every exhaust you can think of on all of my previous rusty new england XJs, and loud exhausts sound cool for about a week until you are driving home on the highway with a migraine.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I had the Dynomax Ultraflow SS on an XJ. It is similar to a Magnaflow muffler but seemed slightly cheaper made. I would say it's volume level was somewhere near a Flowmaster 50 series or 18" Magnaflow. Not obnoxious but definitely not quiet like stock. The Walker Quietflow SS seems to hold up a little better than the aluminized Dynomax Turbo, and is quieter. I've had pretty much every exhaust you can think of on all of my previous rusty new england XJs, and loud exhausts sound cool for about a week until you are driving home on the highway with a migraine.

Thanks! That is pretty much what I’m after. I think I’m going to forego the UltraFlo SS and go with the Walker SS. Definitely don’t want anything loud, flowmaster 44 that I installed years ago was a horrible mistake. I’d install stock if I could still get it, but that’s long discontinued.

If the Walker ever falls apart on me then I’d probably try the UltraFlo SS next just to see if it held up better and for a good comparison.

Reactions: jeepguy03
Thanks! That is pretty much what I’m after. I think I’m going to forego the UltraFlo SS and go with the Walker SS. Definitely don’t want anything loud, flowmaster 44 that I installed years ago was a horrible mistake. I’d install stock if I could still get it, but that’s long discontinued.

If the Walker ever falls apart on me then I’d probably try the UltraFlo SS next just to see if it held up better and for a good comparison.

The first thing to do is make sure your entire system is secure and not shaking/moving when the vehicle is moving. Also if you are installing with clamps use band clamps and not u-bolts. The band clamps help to secure the system.

The first thing to do is make sure your entire system is secure and not shaking/moving when the vehicle is moving. Also if you are installing with clamps use band clamps and not u-bolts. The band clamps help to secure the system.

It was all secure. I used u bolts because that’s what was supplied. I prefer band clamps but they don’t really work if there are no relief cuts in the pipes so that the clamp can actually squeeze the pipe. Whereas with u-bolts they pretty much crimps things into sealing.