Has the TJ reached classic car level?

My TJ is 25 years old 26 if you count the build date. In Pa it's considered a historic vehicle. If I had put antique plates on it I would be limited when i can drive it. I bought it in 2015 for $500 with a rusted frame and rotted front fenders. Found a frame in a u pick scrap yard and moved everything over. 2018 it was drivable again. I used it till 2020 and for health reasons had put it in storage. In the fall I was well enough to continue driving it and have continued tinkering and taking care of the small things.

I looked it up for Colorado. It is strict here!!

Vehicles must be (a) Model year 1975 or earlier; or(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner

In Georgia any vehicle 25 years old can get a hobby vehicle tag. $80 the first year, $55 a year after that.

You can also sport a year of manufacture tag at no additional cost. I have a 1965 Georgia plate on my Mustang, I just have to carry the issued plate in the car and provide it to an LEO if asked.

I am also entitled to four different military plates: Coast Guard veteran, retired, Desert Storm and Global war on terror. Those plates have no annual registration fee. The only annual registration fee I have to pay is on the motorhome.

I really want to move out West, but the cost of living here is a lot lower than any other state, except maybe AL. MS or AR.

For vehicles 25+ years old
$6 a year for Antique car plates here in IL

You buy 5 years of registration for $30
Literally the ONLY good thing from IL Govt

Limited use to shows, mechanic, or 1 other
Just not supposed to be used for a DD

Easy to circumvent

I had a 69 Chevy K20 for years.

It was a complete PIA to source parts.

I eventually traded it for enough hardwood to floor my house.

To me... classic car status is when there are tons of aftermarket support and options.

I'd love to own that K20...tons of support now.

When it's easy to get quality sensors, and aftermarket folks are adding not subtracting parts - that's classic car status.

We're in the black hole now...just old enough Mopar isn't making parts any more...but not old enough to generate enough of a demand to attract aftermarket support.

-Mac

Reactions: B1Toad and '05Train