Hate doing this

first mod:

angryturd.jpg

Having gone from a YJ to a TJ to a JK back to a TJ I'll say I never felt as happy in a highly modified JK that was re-geared, sat on 35s, etc. as I have in my TJ, even when it was stock. Every one of those was my DD, too.

Just my $0.02, and I haven't walked a mile in your shoes and without having done so all I can say from my point of view is I'd rather dump whatever time and money I would have to if it meant getting my TJ working over getting any other vehicle. Sorry to hear you're having issues, I know it can be frustrating, and I do understand wanting to jump into something that just works. For all I know you're making the best decision and the best one for you and your's.

My last thing I'll say though is that from what I know of both TJs (4.0) and JKs (3.6) is there's no way I'd say a JK is, on a whole, more reliable than the TJs.

Sorry you have to be in that situation in the first place! Best of luck however it goes!

Me too. I'm looking at a new JK but I'm keeping the TJ. Year end pricing on the plain jane JK is pretty tempting. I just finished my year end for work and for the amount I spent keeping the TJ running I can easily afford a JK for work and keep the TJ for weekends. Which is exactly what I did with my YJ 10 years ago. But the YJ had enough needs that I sold it when someone offered $3500.

Reactions: Starrs
View attachment 74220

This is the one i got a 16 Willy’s with lift and 35s. Only had 21k mi on it. She’s good so far but it’s only been few hours lol.

The axle on my tj was leaking from the tube so i don’t have the time or money to replace it. It was a Dana 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, it does have the correct number of doors! ;)

Reactions: Hunter Rich
View attachment 74220

This is the one i got a 16 Willy’s with lift and 35s. Only had 21k mi on it. She’s good so far but it’s only been few hours lol.

The axle on my tj was leaking from the tube so i don’t have the time or money to replace it. It was a Dana 35

Rhino? I love that color. Look into the Mopar hightop fenders. Looks good. That’ll be a great daily for you. I to this day wish I could go back in time and get my jk back. Stupid mistake trading it in.

Here is what you have going on...

Most TJ 's have considerable miles and some of them have really really been put through the wringer off road and on ... And at the minimum they are all at least 12 years old and even if one just sits there and is never driven 12 years does things to a machine.

Head to Head a TJ is a simpler, sturdier machine.

One of the problems people run into is when they go to find one they're looking for the best deal they can find ... they're not looking for one that has been treated the best and has the lowest mileage....that's the one that costs more ..... There is even currently a post on here on how to find a jeep that has been sitting underwater for a few days.... brilliant.

I even believe that most of the electrical issues that you see on this forum a large percentage of those Jeeps are exposed to water more than is necessary.

If your Tj had the same mileage and history as the newer Jk, the TJ would be the better vehicle .

Most of the threads on here with persistent reliability issues are similar to the same threads in the JK forums ..the vehicle was likely never maintained and cared for like it should have been .

Not slamming you on yours , most of the issues on this forum stem from neglect by previous owners , and the owners are on here trying to bring back the vehicles known reliability.

At the same time , I like the 4 door , it is a cool concept . Needs a bigger engine and simpler electrical system .

2014-2016 are known good jk years

Here is what you have going on...

Most TJ 's have considerable miles and some of them have really really been put through the wringer off road and on ... And at the minimum they are all at least 12 years old and even if one just sits there and is never driven 12 years does things to a machine.

Head to Head a TJ is a simpler, sturdier machine.

One of the problems people run into is when they go to find one they're looking for the best deal they can find ... they're not looking for one that has been treated the best and has the lowest mileage....that's the one that costs more ..... There is even currently a post on here on how to find a jeep that has been sitting underwater for a few days.... brilliant.

I even believe that most of the electrical issues that you see on this forum a large percentage of those Jeeps are exposed to water more than is necessary.

If your Tj had the same mileage and history as the newer Jk, the TJ would be the better vehicle .

Most of the threads on here with persistent reliability issues are similar to the same threads in the JK forums ..the vehicle was likely never maintained and cared for like it should have been .

Not slamming you on yours , most of the issues on this forum stem from neglect by previous owners , and the owners are on here trying to bring back the vehicles known reliability.

At the same time , I like the 4 door , it is a cool concept . Needs a bigger engine and simpler electrical system .

2014-2016 are known good jk years
To debate the tj vs jk is going to be like asking somebody which girl looks better. There is no wrong answer. Jk rides better, is more comfortable, and gets better mpg. Does this stuff make it a better daily? I think so, but this is just my opinion.

Reactions: ac_ and Blank
I agree , they are really nice .

Especially as a daily , if you have any kind of commute.

I feel like folks get burned on TJ's sometimes , and in some cases the thing was roached when they got it .

What Jk did you have and what transmission (auto/manual)?

To debate the tj vs jk is going to be like asking somebody which girl looks better. There is no wrong answer. Jk rides better, is more comfortable, and gets better mpg. Does this stuff make it a better daily? I think so, but this is just my opinion.

Lets agree to disagree. I had a JK and a TJ and YJ, and no offense to the OP, but I like the JK the least. I found the ride not near as good. I found the dash obnoxious and the gas mileage was just as crappy as my TJ is now. My Tj actually with the 4.0 had way more power than the JK, and they both had 3:73's, although now my tj has 4:88's.

Damnit @Blank now you are going to have to join another forum. You are going to miss us aholes here. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I didn't know you were having TJ issues.

Even though I didn't like mine, I hope you love yours. At least yours doesn't have those huge obnoxious fender flares. Yours does look better than most. Looks like it came with some nice upgrades.

Lets agree to disagree. I had a JK and a TJ and YJ, and no offense to the OP, but I like the JK the least. I found the ride not near as good. I found the dash obnoxious and the gas mileage was just as crappy as my TJ is now. My Tj actually with the 4.0 had way more power than the JK, and they both had 3:73's, although now my tj has 4:88's.

Damnit @Blank now you are going to have to join another forum. You are going to miss us aholes here. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I didn't know you were having TJ issues.

Even though I didn't like mine, I hope you love yours. At least yours doesn't have those huge obnoxious fender flares. Yours does look better than most. Looks like it came with some nice upgrades.
You had the worst engine in any jeep to date lol the 3.8 minivan engine. That is nothing like the pentastar 3.6 lol. No wonder you hated yours. Apples and oranges. Not even the same comparison. 3.8 did get worse gas mileage.

Reactions: PJOJeep and ac_

Ac I aint leaving I’ll stay right here and just look for info else where. Most jk guys are douchebags i can’t handle stupid. Y’all are still a bad ass group of folks. Im Gonna have some stuff for sale soon nothing major though.

I have a TJ, because that is the Rubicon I could afford when I bought. If I had unlimited wealth, I'd have a JK. They are nice. I prefer the extra width, more modern dash, amenities, etc. My folks went out and bought a 2016 two door Sahara after they realized how fun TJ was.

Yes, they are more complex... But a TJ is more complex than a YJ, YJ is more complex than a CJ, etc.

Anyway, congratulation! I don't think you can go wrong with that purchase.