Hate doing this

I have a TJ, because that is the Rubicon I could afford when I bought. If I had unlimited wealth, I'd have a JK. They are nice. I prefer the extra width, more modern dash, amenities, etc. My folks went out and bought a 2016 two door Sahara after they realized how fun TJ was.

Yes, they are more complex... But a TJ is more complex than a YJ, YJ is more complex than a CJ, etc.

Anyway, congratulation! I don't think you can go wrong with that purchase.
Well said.

Before I bought my tj I searched JKs and went as far as to making offers on a couple (luckily couldn’t agree on numbers). It’s a weekend fun ride so price became a factor. Eliminate all 2007-2012 jks and you’re looking at 2013-2017 models. Just couldn’t justify spending $23k+ for a non DD. Led me to TJs and I actually preferred the nostalgic simple interior and style. I found it much more fun to drive as well. At a third of the price of a 2015 jk. But don’t get me wrong, if it was my main vehicle/DD I’d have a jk most likely. Unlimited too. I know I know....

2012 on had the better engine, yes some early 12's had some bad head castings but most were taken care of under warranty. I had a 12 JKU and loved it, had issues (well it is a Chrysler) but in the end I traded it in on the wife's Benz due to the residual value and I could not justify a $26K fourth vehicle for myself. So she got the benz and I got a 10K TJ...all works out in the end. I think you will be happy with the JK as a DD.

Reactions: jazngab
You had the worst engine in any jeep to date lol the 3.8 minivan engine. That is nothing like the pentastar 3.6 lol. No wonder you hated yours. Apples and oranges. Not even the same comparison. 3.8 did get worse gas mileage.
Whatever the reason I have lost all confidence in Jeep. I probably won't buy a new one unless they put a v8 in it or they can prove to me that they can build something fast enough to enter traffic on the freeway.

One of these days I will do a head to head to see really what the difference is. but I am still skeptical the v-6 would make me happy. I have had a cj5 with a 401 and it is hard to top that. As you can tell my 4.0 with 4:88s still drive me crazy trying to merge onto the freeway. But like I said it did a hell of a lot better than my JK.

Whatever the reason I have lost all confidence in Jeep. I probably won't buy a new one unless they put a v8 in it or they can prove to me that they can build something fast enough to enter traffic on the freeway.

One of these days I will do a head to head to see really what the difference is. but I am still skeptical the v-6 would make me happy. I have had a cj5 with a 401 and it is hard to top that. As you can tell my 4.0 with 4:88s still drive me crazy trying to merge onto the freeway. But like I said it did a hell of a lot better than my JK.
You’ll have to google the HP but 3.8 had 195 I think 3.6 was 285ish? Think that would make a difference?

Reactions: ac_
You’ll have to google the HP but 3.8 had 195 I think 3.6 was 285ish? Think that would make a difference?
Then mine was mated with the crappy loud manual trans. I mean all of the people that complain about those 6 speeds making noise, mine did it since new.

That does seem better but what made them think they could charge 26K for a Jk that heavy with a 195 horse engine. There were people sitting at a table that signed off on that. I didn't actually pay that much, but that was the sticker. It is unbelievable and I lost my faith that Jeep can make sound decisions. If I ever kill my TJ, I will probably build my own Jeep with probably a late 70's cj-7 v-8 model.

Reactions: JMT and Starrs
Then mine was mated with the crappy loud manual trans. I mean all of the people that complain about those 6 speeds making noise, mine did it since new.

That does seem better but what made them think they could charge 26K for a Jk that heavy with a 195 horse engine. There were people sitting at a table that signed off on that. I didn't actually pay that much, but that was the sticker. It is unbelievable and I lost my faith that Jeep can make sound decisions. If I ever kill my TJ, I will probably build my own Jeep with probably a late 70's cj-7 v-8 model.
Yep it lasted from 2007-2011. Then the tanks all got a superbooost! Lol

Reactions: ac_
Congrats, looks like a real nice ride. 35's look perfect for a JK. I've been using my TJ as a DD since I bought it in March last year. I've become addicted to driving it and my excuse is that I'm working out all the kinks, just as @Cornbread said, LOL. But, I'm sure it isn't the best choice as a DD due to having 105k on the OD. I'm sure the honeymoon will end at some point and I'll drive it less. Luckily, I still have my previous daily if that happens or if I ever have the TJ out of service. I'd really like my wife to trade in her older '11 CX-9 and get a nice used JK like you did, or perhaps even a new JL or Gladiator. The Gladiator may need 37's to look right though, LOL. We both love the idea until we look at the payment...the CX9 is paid off with less than 40k...so, that is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Good luck with the new ride! Sorry to hear the TJ has to go :(

Love my TJ but I wouldn't love it as my daily driver. Soon as I get one thing fixed something else breaks. My hope is that one day I will have gone through everything and have it in top notch shape. JK just doesn't seem like an original jeep tho IMO.

thanks for all the replies and honest opinons i have been driving it for couple weeks now and its still missing that feeling my TJ had. i spoke with the previous owner its has a jks 2.5 inch lift with trackbars and the fuel wheels and 35x12.50 grabber x3s. i havent had a chance to take her in the dirt yet but i cant wait

Reactions: ac_ and JMT
thanks for all the replies and honest opinons i have been driving it for couple weeks now and its still missing that feeling my TJ had. i spoke with the previous owner its has a jks 2.5 inch lift with trackbars and the fuel wheels and 35x12.50 grabber x3s. i havent had a chance to take her in the dirt yet but i cant wait
You could come to the really dark side and get a JL ;) That's is a really nice color, and I think you will be very happy in the JK.

You got a very nice JK, lots of maybe free stuff. Enjoy and post a few pics of it washed.

As of recently I have thought about the potential of going to a JK. I'm by no means at a financial place right now to make it happen, but possibly in a few years. Especially if/when the day comes that I have a family and kids. Not all JK owners are terrible... just about 99% are though, ha ha. There's a good handful around my area that wheel theirs pretty good, so it makes up for all the other lousy owners that think when the cut the corner too tight pulling into their driveway and cut into the grass is "off-roading".

@Blank On the bright side, there's so many spare JK parts floating around on Craigslist that picking up second hand parts is going to be easy. TJ stuff hardly ever shows up in classifieds around here.

View attachment 74220

This is the one i got a 16 Willy’s with lift and 35s. Only had 21k mi on it. She’s good so far but it’s only been few hours lol.

The axle on my tj was leaking from the tube so i don’t have the time or money to replace it. It was a Dana 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll admit, that's a pretty sharp lookin' JK. Really needs a winch to fill that empty spot in the bumper though, lol.

Reactions: Blank
To debate the tj vs jk is going to be like asking somebody which girl looks better. There is no wrong answer. Jk rides better, is more comfortable, and gets better mpg. Does this stuff make it a better daily? I think so, but this is just my opinion.
that is like talking about the fatty and pink scooter...

Lets agree to disagree. I had a JK and a TJ and YJ, and no offense to the OP, but I like the JK the least. I found the ride not near as good. I found the dash obnoxious and the gas mileage was just as crappy as my TJ is now. My Tj actually with the 4.0 had way more power than the JK, and they both had 3:73's, although now my tj has 4:88's.

Damnit @Blank now you are going to have to join another forum. You are going to miss us aholes here. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I didn't know you were having TJ issues.

Even though I didn't like mine, I hope you love yours. At least yours doesn't have those huge obnoxious fender flares. Yours does look better than most. Looks like it came with some nice upgrades.
I have YJ &LJ, had a TJ, and just got a JK... if you JK rides like shit, it is because you ran shitty shocks...my YJ is like a buck board with the leaf springs (waggy springs front and rear), the TJ's ride was crap until I got some Bilsteins, and I put rubicon takeoff shocks on the JK which totally changed the ride for the better...What I dont like is how the seat height is more like a car now. We got 215K miles on the TJ, I paid 13.8K for the 15 JK. My Lj will become a project that will replace the YJ, I just need to get a pair of E-lockers for new dana 44's and an atlas. Each person needs to decide where there is diminishing return on maintaining an older vehicle. I sold my wife's TJ in 3 days, it was a 98, rust free, well maintained with high mileage. If the OP needed peace of mind, get the vehicle that gets you that. If you want a toy, find the one you want when you want it. Tim

Reactions: Red Dog and Blank