Have I caught this quick enough to get away with only replacing the OPDA?

Thedogsbollocks

TJ Enthusiast
Hi, I think I have the dreaded opda issue. I know there are a lot of threads on this and I'm starting my research. However, I would really appreciate your opinions...

I have a 2006 TJ with 39,000 miles on it. It has been driving flawlessly until today. I started it this morning and all of a sudden there was a loud screeching noise. At first, I thought belt, alternator, idler pulley, etc. but no it's def' coming from the opda. After a few minutes as the engine warmed up the noise completely vanishes, it sounded quiet as a mouse. It returned again when cold.

My question I guess is, as this has literally only started today (although it was very noisy - until warmed up) - Have I caught this quick enough to get away with only replacing the OPDA?

Notes:
- There has been no build-up or prior warning of this whatsoever. Up until this morning, the engine has been quiet without any hint of a squeal and has been driving perfectly. Living in Florida, I always have its roof off and open with half doors. There hasn't been a single odd noise from it until today.
- The only reason I know it vanishes when the engine warms up (3 mins or so) engine is because, for those few minutes, I was trying to investigate where the noise was coming from i.e., Alternator pullies, etc. I have not started since.

Thanks for your opinions and tips folks!

231.JPG, John(y)

(So much for the thought that late 2006's got away with this)

Last edited:
The only way to know is to pull the OPDA and inspect the gears.

You are probably OK, but you never know.

There was never a fix to the MOPAR OPDA, so date of manufacture doesn't matter.

Reactions: Daryl
The only way to know is to pull the OPDA and inspect the gears.

You are probably OK, but you never know.

There was never a fix to the MOPAR OPDA, so date of manufacture doesn't matter.

Thanks...when I look at the gears am I looking to see if a) just worn but intact then just opda might be the fix, or b) if I see broken gears, then I know the situation requires more work?

Thanks again.

Thanks...when I look at the gears am I looking to see if a) just worn but intact then just opda might be the fix, or b) if I see broken gears, then I know the situation requires more work?

Thanks again.

The key is the condition of the cam gear. If it is chewed up, it will just eat up a new OPDA gear.

As stated above, post pics of the cam and OPDA gears when you pull it.

Ok well thanks to the forum here I ordered a crown replacement and fitted today. All seems well. Engine quiet no noise at all and runs great. I didn’t have any codes or oil pressure drops… just the screech. I included pics of old unit. From the little I could see cam looked ok. The old Opda has some wear but less than I feared. It was stiff however. The pics actually make it look a bit worse than in real life
So, all seems good… thanks!

AF5C88DB-0B4E-43AC-BE45-C059756F5DF2.jpeg

C87B5801-DFE6-4C68-A9C5-3F34E96CD6C8.jpeg

Reactions: JKP
You should be good to go.

Just FYI, the oil pressure gauge on your 06 is essentially a dummy light that lets you know you have at least 6 PSI of oil pressure. It's only going to read midscale or zero. If you want to know your oil pressure, you'll have to use a test gauge.