Heading out to rescue my TJ from Columbus, Ohio tomorrow — Might need some advice

UHaul has a policy that forbids using a tow dolly to tow a Wrangler. You have to rent a flat trailer.

OP, nice to see your a good way down the road. I’d also put the original ECM back on the Jeep. Hoping you continue to have good trip!

Def good to know. I was aware of the softtop issue but didn't know the tow dolly thing. Maybe another option is just buy a flat towbar since it is a Jeep afterall (for shorter tow) Cross country towing is probably best on a flat trailer anyways.

Reactions: JMT
Def good to know. I was aware of the softtop issue but didn't know the tow dolly thing. Maybe another option is just buy a flat towbar since it is a Jeep afterall (for shorter tow) Cross country towing is probably best on a flat trailer anyways.

a guy at work drags his all over the country on a tow bar behind the motorhome.

Reactions: Farmergreg

A flat tow bar is a great solution for little $. That’s what the guy was trying to find to buy the day he was hauling this Jeep. He couldn’t find the part he wanted so we ended up at UHaul.

A flat tow bar is a great solution for little $. That’s what the guy was trying to find to buy the day he was hauling this Jeep. He couldn’t find the part he wanted so we ended up at UHaul.

it's a decent solution..... kinda keeps 1 out of the "here, hold me beer" zone, when they need to be sure they can drag it home.

Reactions: JMT
Hi guys, I just wanted to say thank you for all the help! I read all of the replies from those that were there with me. I don't think many forums do real time in-the-field support, but this one does! The pictures and videos would have continued for at least two more hours if I hadn't found that blown fuse, or until everyone was out of ideas (which I don't think was going to happen).
Even then, I'm sure I could have found a better solution than spending $3K on a U-Haul. It really helps when you are in a parking lot, over 1600 miles from home, to have extra eyes on the problem.
What I learned were things I already know, but are hard to remember under the stress of the moment: Re-check everything (even things you thought were already checked), be patient, think it through, and don't assume anything,
Here is my TJ, all covered in bugs, but home. Now I just need to go over all the wiring and chase down any other issues. It will need some upgrades too.
Thanks again!
Tom
20220829_112611.jpg

About 850 miles. Sounds like something I would do.:cool: What kind of mileage are you getting? and how fast are you cruising?

I didn't keep track of mileage, but it seemed consistent with past experience. The O'Reilly's ECM/PCM has a speed limiter as 90 mph, but I cruised as closed to 80 as hills would allow. My old ECM has no speed limiter and a performance tune from a PO. I didn't switch it back as suggested, because it was running and that's all I cared about. My daughter used to cruise it over 90 mph and has had it up to 113 on the GPS on flat terrain (not safe I know).

I didn't keep track of mileage, but it seemed consistent with past experience. The O'Reilly's ECM/PCM has a speed limiter as 90 mph, but I cruised as closed to 80 as hills would allow. My old ECM has no speed limiter and a performance tune from a PO. I didn't switch it back as suggested, because it was running and that's all I cared about. My daughter used to cruise it over 90 mph and has had it up to 113 on the GPS on flat terrain (not safe I know).

I think this thread needs to be kept active as your journey begins with the rebuild...

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmergreg
I think this thread needs to be kept active as your journey begins with the rebuild...

I am considering starting a build thread financed by selling my S10 ZR2 "Sandstone" featured in this thread from May 2021
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wow-i-really-need-another-tj.47542/

It's all repaired, lifted, and V8 swapped. It does pretty well in the desert, but not a TJ, and I wouldn't bring it to an AZ trail ride. I still have to come up with a name for that thread...

20220729_153440.jpg

Last edited:
Glad this all worked out in the end even though a hassle could have been way worse. Hope your daughter got a reliable replacement, her next trip home will tell I guess….maybe now she can beat the 113….LOL.

Glad you made it back ok. We live just off I-44 in Springfield MO. You ran a good piece of the old Rt 66 route.

Reactions: TominAZ
Did you have any issues getting the TJ back home?

On the last mile or so I smelled fuel. Checked today and there is a fuel leak near the tank, but only when the key is on. I'll be starting the build by dropping the tank. At least it was kind enough to wait that long. After all, it was a jeep stranded with Penn State markings in a parking lot in OSU territory at the start of football season. That was a true rescue!

Thread Title: Stepping Stone to a TJ Build

I think I need to tie it to this thread. "Columbus Rescue TJ Build" or similar. It will take some time to get started. Sandstone needs a new owner first, probably from one of those younger generations that has to drive an automatic.