Headlight wiring

WallyWest

TJ Addict
I have some new headlights coming, just wanted to educate myself on install before attempting it.

They're LED, with a halo light. I believe the halo can be wired as DRLs, but I don't care about that. Is it possible to wire them so they come on at the first click on the switch? The point where the marker lights are on but not the headlights.

I read somewhere on here about a wiring harness, or something like that, you can get that wires the headlights straight to the battery. This was supposed to help with getting full power to the lights, I guess the relay that normally feeds them is a bit limiting. Any particular brand that's good for that?

Any other install tips welcome.

I have some new headlights coming, just wanted to educate myself on install before attempting it.

They're LED, with a halo light. I believe the halo can be wired as DRLs, but I don't care about that. Is it possible to wire them so they come on at the first click on the switch? The point where the marker lights are on but not the headlights.

I read somewhere on here about a wiring harness, or something like that, you can get that wires the headlights straight to the battery. This was supposed to help with getting full power to the lights, I guess the relay that normally feeds them is a bit limiting. Any particular brand that's good for that?

The harness you're referring to is this one: https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p6/H4_Upgraded_Headlight_Harness.html#/

I just wired some that had a DRL and Turn signal. For my turn signals that were on the vehicle, there was a black wire with a green stripe, which was the "parking light" which turns on at one click. you could try running a tap on those wires to your headlights to see if that will turn on the halo.

Cool, thanks.

I just wired some that had a DRL and Turn signal. For my turn signals that were on the vehicle, there was a black wire with a green stripe, which was the "parking light" which turns on at one click. you could try running a tap on those wires to your headlights to see if that will turn on the halo.

Good idea, I think I did something similar to my reverse lights when I hooked up the rear camera on my other car.

I got them today, got lucky with the aim, they cut off right where the stock ones did.

IMG_20201114_161713821.jpg

FYI for anyone trying to do the same thing.

The marker light on the front of the fenders has three wires going to it. Mine were black, black/yellow, and gray on one side, green on the other. If you check both sides the middle wire on the connector should be the same color on both sides. Mine was the black/yellow wire. That's the hot wire that powers the light.

Tap into that wire, and run a patch cable up to the back of the headlights. There are several holes in the fender that will get you there. Plug that into your halo power, mine was a red connector.

Now your halos will turn on with the marker lights.

For turn signal function, if you have that, tap into the other wire that is different colors on either side. Mine was gray on the left, green on the right.

Easier than tapping into the fuse box IMO, but you'll have to do that for power if you want them to be on all the time.

Thank you for the heads up on this harness, I had no idea it existed. I ordered it on Monday, and got it in the mail on Wednesday. Just finished installing it a few minutes ago. Wow, I really like that! I don’t think the newer headlight look right on the TJ, and the price of them just makes me like them even less. For a measly $25, and shipped Priority Mail, both my high dollar Sylvania's shine bright as hell now. Awesome! Excellent deal! Sometimes, it’s the little things.

Last edited: