Hello from Colorado - TJ rebuild

JeepTooth

Hello All,

I am just getting ready to jump into a rejuvenation of a white 1997 I4 with about 115k miles. It was my father-in-law's that he bought new. It is 100% stock and in fair condition, but it needs love. It always had standard maintenance, but that is it. It has sat in a garage mostly for the past 2 years. My daughter turns 16 later this spring and we are going to renovate it. Crawling around underneath, I can see fluid on the bottom of both diffs and on the bottom of the transmission, not dripping and it leaves no marks on the garage floor, but at some point there was leakage. The bump stops are mostly disintegrated, both front and rear bumpers are dented and the flares are in rough shape. Not to mention the top and interior is a little rough.

Planning to strip down as much as we can, clean it up nicely, rebuild what is needed, and get it back ship share while we are doing this distancing thing over the next several weeks. I also never liked the stock tires he ran and think it would look better with a little suspension upgrade. I'm about to pull the trigger on bumpers, flares, soft top, OME 2" suspension, new wheels and 31X10.5 BFGs. I'll likely replace carpet and at least one seat, but I need to pull it all out and try to clean it up to figure this out. I'll post along the journey and try to use the "search" feature as well as possible. I had a few suspension questions in addition to tires and wheel backspacing knowledge gaps that you all have already answered. I'm no mechanic, but I know a wrench from a screwdriver and hope I can pick it up as I go.

Cheers,
Greg

Welcome from michigan. Sounds like a great project. Great that you know its history.

Welcome from Denver. Your going to love that jeep. The only issue you might have is that 4cyl motor at this "elevation" #Colorado, will bring out the patients in you.....or not.

Be careful with the 31's and stock gearing, for the reason listed above.

She's only SIXTEEN 😉 :rolleyes:
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Thanks for the welcome all. Sorry I posted and went away, I've been working on the jeep. My daughter is helping... some. She is learning how to drive a manual transmission at the same time which I'm happy about. Below are some pictures. I'm going after the suspension upgrade tomorrow, OME 2.5" kit. I'm a little apprehensive as I haven't done this before, but I've got the service manual, YouTube and two neighbors who have done this kind of stuff so I'll get it done.

The first few pictures show original state with bumps, cracks, faded flares and all. It also has my helper who doesn't like pictures.

We are replacing the flares, what a pain pulling those off. We also pulled the carpets and seats. I had some surface rust on the body pans, so I wire brushed this off, primer-ed and did a rough spray with rubberized undercoat spray to protect better going forward. I also had my daughter pressure wash the carpets. They cleaned up nicely. I pulled the center console and cleaned it up in addition to the e-brake bracket that was well rusted but still solid. I cleaned that up and painted it. The interior is back together and cleaned as of last night. I also installed a speaker bar. That wasn't too bad, just took time to pull apart the dash and get the wires correct. I still have factory speakers in the front, with some fidgeting, they work again. May replace in the future. I need to connect the hot wire on the speaker bar to something that will allow the dome light to get power when the doors are open, I'll see if the service manual can point me in the right direction on that one. I thought about tapping into the floor lights, but don't know if that would work or not. It seems like a poor option.

More pics over the next few days. I've been spraying all the suspension bolts with PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer for a week now, hopefully that makes tomorrow better.

Cheers,
Greg

20200404_163102.jpg

20200404_163139.jpg

20200405_105054.jpg

20200405_113434.jpg

20200405_154853.jpg

20200409_071602.jpg

20200409_175904.jpg

20200409_181443.jpg

20200409_181450.jpg

20200409_195241.jpg

20200410_090545.jpg

20200410_090556.jpg

Reactions: Hog
Welcome @JeepTooth ! That’s a great project Jeep! You’re doing it right fixing it up with your daughter bubba. Keep researching and ask these guys for help. I know this forum has been incredibly helpful to me when tinkering around on my project Jeep.

Quick thought on a 4cyl TJ with a lift & bigger tires - I believe you will definitely notice a lag in power/performance. Just my opinion, but I would consider making a gear change. Just have it done (or do it yourself with some help) when you get to working on the diffs later. I waited until recently to re-gear my TJ and I wish I would’ve done it way sooner.

I normally subscribe to the “it’s not broke, so don’t fix it” mentality, so when I shot the spider gears and had an axle bearing fail I went ahead and changed the gears. difference has been insane. Runs like a completely different Jeep. Can be time consuming and little pricey but it is 100% worth it.

keep up the good work and keep us posted on your project!

Bobby

I have some stock tan roll bar covers in great condition. Might look better. Install a good Blutooth stereo, she'll use it.

I normally subscribe to the “it’s not broke, so don’t fix it” mentality, so when I shot the spider gears and had an axle bearing fail I went ahead and changed the gears. difference has been insane. Runs like a completely different Jeep. Can be time consuming and little pricey but it is 100% worth it.

Thanks for the input Bobby. With her being a new driver, I'm OK with it being under powered to begin with. I'll take a look at pricing on regearing as I'm getting to that phase and ask for some advice here.

I have some stock tan roll bar covers in great condition. Might look better. Install a good Blutooth stereo, she'll use it.
I installed a Bluetooth radio a few months ago, it has made a big improvement and that was one of the first things she was able to use / figure out in the jeep. I'm fighting an "interior" color battle with my peanut gallery right now, the daughter, wife and MiL want to change to black and gray, I kinda like the tan. I haven't ordered any replacement carpet or seats, so I'm holding firm there but I did order a black top.

Hi all,

Looking for opinions on half doors. I've never used them, I think they would be a cool thing to have and I have a line on a pair of white original TJ half doors with fabric uppers for $650. They appear in good shape without rust or dents. I don't see half doors on most of your TJs, is there a good reason?

Drinking my coffee now, getting ready to go install the OME suspension. I'll take pics and post later today.

Thanks,
Greg