Hello from San Francisco!

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hello,

I've been stalking around for awhile reading all the great info here. Thanks for all the frequent contributers for posting as you do, I have learned a lot. If all goes well tomorrow I should be buying a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L. Of course I want to start modding it as soon as I can.

Living in the city, I don't have a garage or anything, and I can only just get by mechanically speaking so for now will probably be paying for a lot of the work (although places know how to charge in the bay!). If anyone has a good shop recommendations please let me know. Looking forward to interacting more with the board as I buy and modify my Jeep!

Tom

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place for TJ info. If you live in the city I hope you are buying a hard top. When I bought my first 2002 TJ, the dealer talked me into buying a hard top when I lived in the inner Richmond (even though I wanted a soft top). He told me that he’d sell me a soft top but that I’d be back once a month buying replacement side windows from where people would cut them to get into it. In 2 years no one ever messed with my hard top or full doors. Which neighborhood are you in?

Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place for TJ info. If you live in the city I hope you are buying a hard top. When I bought my first 2002 TJ, the dealer talked me into buying a hard top when I lived in the inner Richmond (even though I wanted a soft top). He told me that he’d sell me a soft top but that I’d be back once a month buying replacement side windows from where people would cut them to get into it. In 2 years no one ever messed with my hard top or full doors. Which neighborhood are you in?

Yep! I'm in Inner Sunset/Forest Knolls and it isn't too bad here crime wise but still going with a hardtop and full doors, and probably getting a viper alarm system or something similar. I used to live in Potrero and the car break-ins there were crazy.

Last edited:
Be sure to post some photos of the TJ if you end up getting it! Most don't think of the TJ as a good city vehicle, but it actually is. It's small, compact, and with some bigger tires and a small lift, it destroys potholes, curbs, and anything else you might need to go over! I actually don't mind driving mine in the city at all because it's so utilitarian.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Be sure to post some photos of the TJ if you end up getting it! Most don't think of the TJ as a good city vehicle, but it actually is. It's small, compact, and with some bigger tires and a small lift, it destroys potholes, curbs, and anything else you might need to go over! I actually don't mind driving mine in the city at all because it's so utilitarian.

Yeah with San Francisco its great too because it doesn't take long to get to some nice outdoor areas. There are a ton of TJs in SF too, I see them all the time.

Reactions: UpperMI and Chris
Welcome! I also own a 2000 TJ. bobthetj03 and I are only about 2 1/2 hours north of you. Great country up here to wheel in. Do check out the NorCal Adventures thread that bobthtj03 is talking about. Have a Jeep run up here this Saturday....nothing crazy, pretty much Forest Service Roads this trip. What better way to try out your new Jeep. Buy it Thursday and wheel it on Saturday!
Keep us posted tomorrow....

Reactions: bobthetj03
Welcome! I also own a 2000 TJ. bobthetj03 and I are only about 2 1/2 hours north of you. Great country up here to wheel in. Do check out the NorCal Adventures thread that bobthtj03 is talking about. Have a Jeep run up here this Saturday....nothing crazy, pretty much Forest Service Roads this trip. What better way to try out your new Jeep. Buy it Thursday and wheel it on Saturday!
Keep us posted tomorrow....

Thanks! Already going camping in Pinnacles on Saturday. Next time, hoping to get some mods in too its pretty bone stock!

Reactions: UpperMI
Welcome to the TJ family...you'll probably need to engage 4WD often with all those crazy steep hills in the city ! ;) (maybe invest in a winch so you can hook onto a fire hydrant ) hehe

Thanks! Already going camping in Pinnacles on Saturday. Next time, hoping to get some mods in too its pretty bone stock!

I reccomend that you leave it bone stock for the first few months that you own it. Get to know your jeep and figure out what’s most important to you. Take it camping in its stock form and you’ll be surprised just how capable it is. Then prioritize your wants and start your build. I thought I was going to lift my second 2002 jeep but after driving it for a few months I decide to just leave it with the stock suspension and just have 31” tires with the rubicon wheels. Saved me money and time.

Reactions: Starrs and Kiwi TJ
Yep! I'm in Inner Sunset/Forest Knolls and it isn't too bad here crime wise but still going with a hardtop and full doors, and probably getting a viper alarm system or something similar. I used to live in Potrero and the car break-ins there were crazy.

That’s a good Neighborhood you live in. I lived right on the park and figured I’d have a problem with some of the homeless around the park but they left my jeep alone.

I reccomend that you leave it bone stock for the first few months that you own it. Get to know your jeep and figure out what’s most important to you. Take it camping in its stock form and you’ll be surprised just how capable it is. Then prioritize your wants and start your build. I thought I was going to lift my second 2002 jeep but after driving it for a few months I decide to just leave it with the stock suspension and just have 31” tires with the rubicon wheels. Saved me money and time.

Yeah we'll see how quickly I get the itch. It might just be that way for a a bit anyway because then hopefully if I am getting work done in a shop, I can do most of the big stuff at the same time and hopefully haggle down the rates due to that!

Reactions: Chris and lowranger
Sneak Preview, I have a Jeep, I'll take better pictures while camping this weekend (and hoping to un-fade those fenders beforehand). I had a shop inspect it, came out pretty clean a couple of things here and there, but its nearly a 20 year old Jeep so to be expected! I'll need new tires sometime, maybe excuse to get a OME lift :D.

I did have the check engine light come on on the way home (ugh). I got the code checked at auto zone, something about carbon buildup? They said probably a spark plug thing. Or.... maybe it's just OPDA ;) Probably going to look into it more tomorrow, the Jeep was down sort of South-Central Cal so lots of driving today.
Image uploaded from iOS (3).jpg

Last edited:
Sneak Preview, I have a Jeep, I'll take better pictures while camping this weekend (and hoping to un-fade those fenders beforehand). I had a shop inspect it, came out pretty clean a couple of things here and there, but its nearly a 20 year old Jeep so to be expected! I'll need new tires sometime, maybe excuse to get a OME lift :D.

I did have the check engine light come on on the way home (ugh). I got the code checked at auto zone, something about carbon buildup? They said probably a spark plug thing. Or.... maybe OPDA ;) Probably going to look into it more tomorrow, the Jeep was down sort of South-Central Cal so lots of driving today.View attachment 32763

Nice! White is a great color too! Once you get those fender flares back to black, it will look like a totally different vehicle.

Thanks! I've always liked white vehicles, it was probably my top colors although I feel TJs have quite a few good ones, I'm enjoying it so far. Heres hoping the engine-light is something small and its mostly trouble free

Looks pretty good. The body especially looks clean. The good thing about a jeep is that you can look at the fault codes yourself if your check engine light comes on. If you quickly turn your key from off to accessories (3 times in 5 seconds) the code will display on your odometer. Google the code that comes on and you’ll find a ton of info on what it means and how to fix it. It’s a good way to check how honest or knowledgeable a mechanic shop is.