Help and suggestions on where to find a part to modify TJ hood?

Love me some Target!!!
I am looking to allow more air flow on my TJ by putting louvers on the rear of the hood as the Fj40 Toyota has. How do I post or put the word out that I am interested in a FJ40 hood or even better the louvers that have been cut out that I could weld into my TJ,s? Cut out one's would cut large shipping cost and problems. I will also install a front hood scope to allow more air in.

I am looking to allow more air flow on my TJ by putting louvers on the rear of the hood as the Fj40 Toyota has. How do I post or put the word out that I am interested in a FJ40 hood or even better the louvers that have been cut out that I could weld into my TJ,s? Cut out one's would cut large shipping cost and problems. I will also install a front hood scope to allow more air in.
Is it just for the looks or is there any other reason why you want to vent the hood?
I like it too but no one here has the tool & die to do it.

Last edited:
Is it just for the looks or is there any other reason why you want to vent the hood?
It is not for looks what's so ever. I am looking for more air flow through the engine compartment. I have an LS motor and more air will certainly not hurt anything.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I don’t think FJ40’ came with hood louvers stock, at least not the early years, just the stock catfish mouth they had. Most hot rod shops can louver a hood though.

I installed louvers in mine that I bought off the net. I used a carbide hole saw for the heat vent. Understand, the application is 99% for looks and 1% function. The lovers vent heat when the Jeep is shut off and parked. That is it. Other than that, it will not change the
IMG_3616.JPG
operating temperatures. Not a good pix, but that is how I did mine.

I have a set of ZJ 5.9 hood vents that I bought but I'm not going to be using them. If you are interested, message me.

Reactions: 5632
These were around $100 on Amazon and I’m really happy with them, helped a lot getting the heat out from under the hood.
638FC004-3FCC-4B20-92CC-A695661DA24B.png
23150E8C-ABA3-4423-9793-468DE2327E7C.png

Reactions: 5632
Aside from letting some heat out, what about letting water and snow melt in for Jeeps parked outside. Any concern about the water getting into electronics, increased corrosion, etc.?

Engines get wet from time to time i don’t think it’s much of a concern, I live in a dry climate and usually park inside but unless the Jeeps in a monsoon or stored long term I wouldn’t worry.

I have a set of ZJ 5.9 hood vents that I bought but I'm not going to be using them. If you are interested, message me.
Thank you but I looked then up to see pictures and everything looks like they are for looks only and don't allow air movement.

Thank you but I looked then up to see pictures and everything looks like they are for looks only and don't allow air movement.
They were fully functional on the 5.9L Grand Cherokee. You'll have to cut some holes to make them work on a TJ. ;)
20201017_092357.jpg

When and if you start cutting holes in you hood I picked up a small air nibbler at harbor freight it cut easily and cleanly through the Jeep hood sheet metal and I ran it off a cheep Home Depot air compressor with a 5 gallon air tank, couple times I had to stop for 1/2 a minute to let the compressor catch up. The air nibbler was under $25 and was well worth every penny and made the task easy.

other than starting with a hole drilled large enough to accept the tip of the nibbler if you cut with the hood in place (I did) throw a tarp or couple old towels over the engine to catch all the little bits or you’ll be picking tiny pieces off the engine for months discarded by the tool.

It is very functional if you cut a hole in the TJ hood. There are many people on this forum running that mod. Those ZJ vents are actually one of the better options out there in terms of visual look of end product.

Reactions: 5632 and EzPeezy