Help diagnosing strange noise

SilverScooter

Hi everyone! Ive searched the forum and haven't found anything quite like im experiencing so im hoping someone out there may be able to help.

First off, here are the stats.
2006 TJ
Dana 35/Dana 30
6spd.
101k miles
2 in. body lift

Im getting an odd clunk/popping noise that appears to be coming from the rear end. The noise only occurs after driving for a long distance (10-15 miles) and only when starting out from a dead stop to about 10mph. It doesnt do it when the jeep hasvnt been driven for a while. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Is it a repetitive clunk that gets faster with speed? Or does it sound like something is loose?

I would start with a thorough visual examination. Grab all of the control arms and trackbar joints and see if there is any play. Also check the shocks. If the shocks are old, it may be worth replacing them regardless.

See if there is any contact with the tailpipe. I know my tailpipe occasionally contacts my gas tank skid.

I’ll try to get a video next time. It’s just so sporadic that im not sure I’ll catch it. Sounds like it’s coming from the rear diff if i had to guess.

it is repetitive and gets faster with speed

Then my best guess would be part of the rotating assembly. Driveshaft u joints, differential bearings, etc. Maybe even a damaged ring and pinion

Thanks for the input guys! Decided to take it into the shop tonight for them to take a look. My guess is there something slipping inside the differential. I’ll report back as soon as i know!