Help Identifying Driveline Noise?

Agamemnon

Howdy folks, I'm new and have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with. I have a 1999 TJ with a 4.0, AX15, NP231, and Ford 8.8 rear. 250k miles, but the transmission isn't original, unknown mileage (from a YJ). I've recently been having what sounds like a bearing noise from either the transmission or the transfer case. It sounds like something is full of rocks. It only happens above 50 mph. Happens whenever I push the clutch in or put the transmission in neutral; if I decelerate with the transmission in neutral, it makes the noise until I slow down to about 40 and then it goes away. It either does not make the noise going through the gears with the tcase in neutral, or I cannot hear it over the engine. It also does not seem to make the noise at all until everything is warmed up.

So about two months ago I noticed a very similar noise, but much worse, after a couple hours on the expressway. At that time, it would also make the noise when decelerating in gear. I limped home and believing it to be the tcase rear output bearing, rebuilt the transfer case. All the bearings and seals in the tcase aside from the planetary bearings are brand new, and so is the ATF. Both tcase output bearings were worn out when I pulled them.

I also previously had a bad driveline vibration which turned out to be the tcase mounting bolts loosened up severely. Like, "tcase about to fall off when I checked it." That is now resolved, but I didn't think to check that for a couple years, and drove with bad vibration for a long time, making me wonder if I damaged the transmission output bearing.

So now I have all new tcase bearings, and the noise is back, though not as bad as it was. I'm not sure now if this is a transmission noise, a tcase noise, or even a rear differential noise. Any advice is very welcome.

Howdy folks, I'm new and have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with. I have a 1999 TJ with a 4.0, AX15, NP231, and Ford 8.8 rear. 250k miles, but the transmission isn't original, unknown mileage (from a YJ). I've recently been having what sounds like a bearing noise from either the transmission or the transfer case. It sounds like something is full of rocks. It only happens above 50 mph. Happens whenever I push the clutch in or put the transmission in neutral; if I decelerate with the transmission in neutral, it makes the noise until I slow down to about 40 and then it goes away. It either does not make the noise going through the gears with the tcase in neutral, or I cannot hear it over the engine. It also does not seem to make the noise at all until everything is warmed up.

So about two months ago I noticed a very similar noise, but much worse, after a couple hours on the expressway. At that time, it would also make the noise when decelerating in gear. I limped home and believing it to be the tcase rear output bearing, rebuilt the transfer case. All the bearings and seals in the tcase aside from the planetary bearings are brand new, and so is the ATF. Both tcase output bearings were worn out when I pulled them.

I also previously had a bad driveline vibration which turned out to be the tcase mounting bolts loosened up severely. Like, "tcase about to fall off when I checked it." That is now resolved, but I didn't think to check that for a couple years, and drove with bad vibration for a long time, making me wonder if I damaged the transmission output bearing.

So now I have all new tcase bearings, and the noise is back, though not as bad as it was. I'm not sure now if this is a transmission noise, a tcase noise, or even a rear differential noise. Any advice is very welcome.

Did you check fluids for sign of wear and contamination? Can remove rear drive shaft and take it for a drive see if noises change.

Transmission oil looked old, but not bad. It's MTL and I didn't have any more, so I put the old back in. It's maybe 30k miles old.

Tcase oil is brand new, I have not checked it to see if there's anything new in the last week.

I don't think it's the rear diff due to how close to the body it sounds, but I should check there too. The front shaft isn't actually on at the moment because I just got the tcase back in two weeks ago and haven't bothered yet, but I'll stick it back on next day off and try it.