Help identifying sound

Kuselton

First post, first time tj owner, got a 98 4.0 auto 133k, running good but is leaking some oil, getting ready to tackle that, but what is this sound? While running is first video you can hear high pitch sound. Then second video is weird sound after engine off. I am a noob also lol Thanks y’all!!!

Ps. Any comments on anything noteworthy at all appreciated!

IMG_4198.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4387.mov
    30 MB
  • IMG_4388.mov
    14.3 MB
I think I am hearing a bearing going out on that alternator or a/c. I would take the drive belt and spin each pulley by hand that the belt touches and see if you can hear/feel something that is not spinning smoothly.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
I think I am hearing a bearing going out on that alternator or a/c. I would take the drive belt and spin each pulley by hand that the belt touches and see if you can hear/feel something that is not spinning smoothly.

Ok thanks! Can I lubricate the bearing once I find it?

spray lubricant might quiet a bearing but it’s light lube and a short term fix...but useful for potential isolating which one is the culprit though.

well.. first lets see it can narrow it down to a idler pulley, alternator, etc. it could be none of the above. Then the repair fixes conversation will be more beneficial. 👍

well.. first lets see it can narrow it down to a idler pulley, alternator, etc. it could be none of the above. Then the repair fixes conversation will be more beneficial. 👍

Do I need to take the belt off to check each? Tried to move stuff with it on but I don’t wanna break anything lol

LOL- sorry I see a word omission in my earlier post,(off) yes remove the drive belt. If you haven’t done that before make sure you have a belt diagram/ or take a picture of the routing in case you lose reference.

I agree with the above on the first noise. For the second noise (after it's off), what I'm hearing is the normal sounds of a hot engine and hot metal parts cooling off. Maybe there's another sound that isn't coming through on the video?

Some vehicles hide the sound better due to different packaging, sound deadening/insulation, and such. But there's a lot of open space and little insulation on these so that sound may be more noticable than what you're used to.

I agree with the above on the first noise. For the second noise (after it's off), what I'm hearing is the normal sounds of a hot engine and hot metal parts cooling off. Maybe there's another sound that isn't coming through on the video?

Some vehicles hide the sound better due to different packaging, sound deadening/insulation, and such. But there's a lot of open space and little insulation on these so that sound may be more noticable than what you're used to.

Thanks a lot! Gonna try finding that sound with the belt removed.

Ok thanks, yea it’s just that that kind of metal ticking sound that kind of winds down. Thanks!