Help Jeep won't start!

joaquin ortiz

Guys need help, maybe something like this has happen to someone!

My jeep will turn over but won't start, It does not have power to the fuel pump nor the sparks or coil.

I've already checked all the relays in it (about 6 big ones and about 4 small ones), and also all of the fuses, everything is fine.

The fuel pump I hooked it up directly and it does run, so it's got to be something electrical, but what else can I check?

I don't have a code reader and i just cannot have it towed to the mechanic to have it checked (too far away from where i'm at)

It was working fine and the next day nothing...

My Jeep is a 99 with the 2.5L.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Battery sounds OK, but if you have no spark from the coils and no power to the fuel pump, then perhaps it is a wiring harness or an ECM issue, if its not a fuse or relay. Somehow, I'd try to get a code reader in hand so you can figure out what's up, see if you can connect to the ECM, and see if it responds and tells you something. If you have done something new recently to the Jeep, retrace your steps and see if you've knocked anything loose or hooked something up incorrectly etc. This one sounds like it could get tricky, sorry I don't have more good answers for you. Perhaps someone with some better ideas on what to try can stop by. Good luck!

Another idea...but I don't know the answer. Do the TJ's have anti-theft ignition keys were they have a chip in the key that allows the fuel pump to run etc.? If yes and you are using a newly made key without the chip, or a damaged key, then that could explain it.

Reactions: Daryl
I am only familiar with 4.0
Try to tune-up like change all your spark plugs, etc.
I don't know if you know where the CPS is, change that as well.

The problem might lay in the key cylinder its self. Check the path from the key. To the fuse box. If you dont have power after the key switch make sure you have power into the key switch.
Loseing both coils and fuel pump seems to me like you are losing power to multiple circuits.

It could be too many different causes, have you tried the ignition on/off x3 to pull your engine codes ?
I have a 97 2.5L. I can pull codes this way, yours should be able to as well.
Try that then let us know if any codes