Help me find this annoying clunking sound

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've been trying to locate this annoying sound for months. Yes, I want to squelch the noise if I can, but I fear it might be something related to the front steering (track bar mount maybe? and if left unattended DW might not be far behind.

Where I hear it... passenger side footwell. Doesn't sound like it is in the dash. It could be something in the engine bay telegraphing to the footwell. Maybe. sounds like it could be lower firewall but I've checked around from underneath and can't replicate it.

When I here it... It's not a rattle. Not associated with road noise so I can't replicate it by going over uneven or rough terrain or roads. The one time I know I will hear it is when I pull into my driveway. It would seem to be related to turning the steering full right lock. It will happen once, but if I unwind the wheel and go full lock to passenger again, I can reproduce it.

What I here... One solid clunk. Not a rattle. It's a dull sound so not tinny at all. It's not something rolling around.

I checked the track bar mount and it is tight. Gave it a reference mark so I can monitor the position. Just got back from a drive with a friend at the wheel and confirmed it isn't in the dash. He did what I described above, slow full lock to passenger, and we both heard it. It was too hot to dig around the firewall from below.

I have a video of it that I working on uploading/

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mine JUST did this to me backing into my parking spot at the house. I had the wheel turned full lock passenger and was backing up and it clunked. Felt like passenger front but nothing looks amiss or feels loose?

Mine JUST did this to me backing into my parking spot at the house. I had the wheel turned full lock passenger and was backing up and it clunked. Felt like passenger front but nothing looks amiss or feels loose?
Exactly. I've scoured all the front suspension and steering and can't find anything.

I'll have a vid of it once I get it uploaded.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
It's much louder in the vid than it actually is.. the phone was sitting on the passenger floorboard.
I approach the curb cut to my driveway moving at a slow crawl, turn full lock to the right and then this...

Reactions: bbaldwin237
Watching, as I have a clunk like that as well, and as much as I’ve looked for it, I can’t find anything. I’ve just assumed it’s a bolt head that is just a bit tight to something else snapping past when the suspension gets pushing into that absolute, tight RH turn with the tire against the steering stop.

Just one solid clunk makes it sound like something is loose or isn't quite strong enough anymore to stay in place so I'm siding with -Mac

Do you have to be moving to make that sound or is just full turning the steering wheel enough? Either way it would be nice to be under there to see exactly where it comes from.

Reactions: MikekiM
Just one solid clunk makes it sound like something is loose or isn't quite strong enough anymore to stay in place so I'm siding with -Mac

Do you have to be moving to make that sound or is just full turning the steering wheel enough? Either way it would be nice to be under there to see exactly where it comes from.

I know mine has to be moving. I looked over my control arms and couldn't find anything loose or worn. All the bushings look tight and solid. My drag link end is cracked and could have a bind at full lock. Otherwise it seems fine and steering feels solid. Planning to run that until doing a ZJ or Currie.

I know mine does something similar except it's when I turn left into my driveway. I always thought it was coming from the drivers side front, but could never find the issue. Eventually I found that it was the rear track bar bushings that were shot. Replaced it with a new bar and it went away. Now after a couple years its back again. Currie bar will be going in shortly.

Time to strap a GoPro or small child under the Jeep.

Or fire the parts cannon at it...

-Mac

On the bright side, if it gets worse or causes further issues, I get to tell the wife that it needs new double adjustable Rock Jock control arms and Correctlync to fix the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean it wouldn't make sense to fix things that you plan to replace eventually anyway! lol

Do this... with the tires on the ground, have a helper repeatedly make short quick fast turns with the steering wheel enough to make the clunking sound while you closely watch the steering system from the front. You should be able to easily spot the source of the clunk doing that.

Upper control arm where it attached to the frame.

At least that's my guess/vote.

-Mac
Thinking on this.. would you expect a reciprocal clunk (a re-clunk? un-clunk? de-clunk?) when you unwind the steering wheel?
I worked the steering wheel left and right while not moving and I can’t reproduce it. Nor do I hear it at speed, which is no surprise because it seems to only be at full right lock at VERY slow speed.

I’ll check upper UC bolts tonight anyway.

Time to strap a GoPro or small child under the Jeep.

Or fire the parts cannon at it...

-Mac
I tried that early on but could hear anything over my daughters screaming. Already starting making a list of what hasn’t already been replaced..

On the bright side, if it gets worse or causes further issues, I get to tell the wife that it needs new double adjustable Rock Jock control arms and Correctlync to fix the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean it wouldn't make sense to fix things that you plan to replace eventually anyway! lol
I tell my wife NOTHING when it comes to the TJ. NOTHING!!!

I know mine does something similar except it's when I turn left into my driveway. I always thought it was coming from the drivers side front, but could never find the issue. Eventually I found that it was the rear track bar bushings that were shot. Replaced it with a new bar and it went away. Now after a couple years it’s back again. Currie bar will be going in shortly.
I’d bet the bank it isn’t coming from the rear. You can feel the clunk in your feet when sitting in the passenger seat.

Do this... with the tires on the ground, have a helper repeatedly make short quick fast turns with the steering wheel enough to make the clunking sound while you closely watch the steering system from the front. You should be able to easily spot the source of the clunk doing that.
No bueno Jerry, but thanks. It doesn’t happen when the rig is not moving.

I take that back.. I’ll try it anyway just to be sure.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
No bueno Jerry, but thanks. It doesn’t happen when the rig is not moving.

I take that back.. I’ll try it anyway just to be sure.
Make sure not to jack up the front-end for that test, the tires must be fully on the ground for it to work.

I tell my wife NOTHING when it comes to the TJ. NOTHING!!!
Godspeed brother! Stay safe! lol

But in all seriousness, I could never slip something by her. We both monitor our finances (and both work full time) so she'd pick up on it before the package ever arrived. I could probably slip $20-100 Amazon purchases past her but anything showing "Rock Jock" or "Extreme Terrain" or "Savvy" or anything like that would throw up a red flag!

But in all seriousness, I could never slip something by her. We both monitor our finances (and both work full time) so she'd pick up on it before the package ever arrived. I could probably slip $20-100 Amazon purchases past her but anything showing "Rock Jock" or "Extreme Terrain" or "Savvy" or anything like that would throw up a red flag!

LoL. Mrs App helped push my LS and my Currie axles into the garage on delivery day. You guys are doing it wrong.

No such problems here!