Help me find this annoying clunking sound

LoL. Mrs App helped push my LS and my Currie axles into the garage on delivery day. You guys are doing it wrong.

Based on LS-swap and Currie crate axles I think we're also in different tax brackets! lol or at the very least different life stages!

She loves the Jeep and was on board with getting it and excited for it, so I count it as a win! She just wants to recover a bit from the purchase before I start dumping more money into it.

Based on LS-swap and Currie crate axles I think we're also in different tax brackets! lol or at the very least different life stages!

She loves the Jeep and was on board with getting it and excited for it, so I count it as a win! She just wants to recover a bit from the purchase before I start dumping more money into it.

The first time we were in a precarious position and I needed to use my winch to self recover and get us home safely, she said she didn't care what I spend on the jeep because it was worth it. She loves to wheel now.

The first time we were in a precarious position and I needed to use my winch to self recover and get us home safely, she said she didn't care what I spend on the jeep because it was worth it. She loves to wheel now.

That's awesome! Hopefully I'll get mine to that place one day. I think she'll at least enjoy running light/moderate trails and the places it can take you.

Sorry, MikekiM! At least sidebars keep the thread on the new posts page so more people see it! 👍🏼

Similarly, The first time I needed to unpack my tool roll and fix something on the motorhome, all the questions about why I needed this or that tool, or tool storage, etc went away. She also quit asking why I kept "fixing" mechanical stuff instead of making it pretty for the first three years we owned it. Fixing is in quotes because I was just rebuilding systems as I had time to do it, not because there was anything acutely wrong. I like to address problems BEFORE they become problems.

Also entirely possible all the bolts are tight and you've got a hairline crack in a bracket somewhere. I chased a couple of clunks on trucks checking bolts and connection points...one troubleshot itself when the bracket fell off.

Interesting to see what you find.

-Mac

Reactions: MikekiM
Also entirely possible all the bolts are tight and you've got a hairline crack in a bracket somewhere. I chased a couple of clunks on trucks checking bolts and connection points...one troubleshot itself when the bracket fell off.

Interesting to see what you find.

-Mac

Let’s hope nothing falls off.

I’ll update as I check things off the list. Open to any other ideas folks have!!

Check to make sure the rod end where the tie rod connects to the drag link isn't dragging across the track bar or steering damper bolt. I had that on a TJ and discovered it had 10 degrees of caster, just had to shorten the lower arms a bit. Took me a year to figure it out.

Some more detailed questions:

Does it happen as you're turning the wheel to the right or after you've turned the wheel and the vehicle is turning right? Does it correspond with any particular roll angle or surface event like the right tire climbing or descending or hitting a bump timed the right way with your turn?

Check to make sure the rod end where the tie rod connects to the drag link isn't dragging across the track bar or steering damper bolt. I had that on a TJ and discovered it had 10 degrees of caster, just had to shorten the lower arms a bit. Took me a year to figure it out.

Some more detailed questions:

Does it happen as you're turning the wheel to the right or after you've turned the wheel and the vehicle is turning right? Does it correspond with any particular roll angle or surface event like the right tire climbing or descending or hitting a bump timed the right way with your turn?

Will check that. Thanks.

It happens as I turn the wheel to the right. Can't replicate it if the jeep is standing still. Only at VERY slow roll... like turning into a parking space... that slow. Any faster and suspect I am going too fast to go full lock.

Surface doesn't matter.

Angle of attack doesn't seem to matter but I have explore this a little more.

I do have one belly skid nutsert that I know is busted loose. I wonder if that could create enough of a situation that it pops?

Mine did. Frame flex. One trail ride was the proverbial straw……it got all consuming.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
This is driving my crazy.

Over the past week or so the clunk has gotten worse. I hear it mainly when turning the steering at slow speed. I have checked as many bolts in the front end as I can get to and have marked all of them with reference marks.

Today I took the rig through the DIY car wash booth and and gave the front end a good cleaning. Oddly, the clunk stopped for the duration of my ride home.

Then a bulb went off.

A few years back I was driving an '06 Liberty to and from work. I don't remember exactly what the sound was but it was coming from the front end. It stopped when it rained or I went through big puddles, and it turned out to be ball joints.

So, now I wondering if the ball joints are shot. I have no idea if these are original or not, but I know I haven't changed them in the years I own the Jeep. I'll dig deeper tomorrow, but it makes sense that if the passenger side is FUBAR, it could be transmitting through the CAs, to the frame and....