Help me fix death wobble

isalinas01

I've been dealing with this issue for the last three months and the problem seems to continue. I have an 01 Sport, standard, with the 4.0L almost stock to the bones. I swapped the original wheels and tires (which were much smaller, I believe they were 15's) with a set of 17's from a JK. I had to use a spacer to compensate and make the wheel fit since JK wheels don't just bolt on. After the swap, my whole vehicle starts shaking as soon as i pass 55mph on my speedometer. I can still manage to drive it straight and not struggle with it but it's not comfortable at all. We've already replaced all the tie rods and upper/lower ball joints. We've balanced all the tires as well. The mechanic said i may need a stronger steering stabilizer. This same shop also aligned my steering wheel and the jeep. Any help or advice would be helpful!

IMG_0531.jpg

top off.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

I've been dealing with this issue for the last three months and the problem seems to continue. I have an 01 Sport, standard, with the 4.0L almost stock to the bones. I swapped the original wheels and tires (which were much smaller, I believe they were 15's) with a set of 17's from a JK. I had to use a spacer to compensate and make the wheel fit since JK wheels don't just bolt on. After the swap, my whole vehicle starts shaking as soon as i pass 55mph on my speedometer. I can still manage to drive it straight and not struggle with it but it's not comfortable at all. We've already replaced all the tie rods and upper/lower ball joints. We've balanced all the tires as well. The mechanic said i may need a stronger steering stabilizer. This same shop also aligned my steering wheel and the jeep. Any help or advice would be helpful!

It this started with those tires/wheels, it is caused by those tires/wheels.

If you don't have to slow down to almost stopping to end the shaking you don't have actual DW, which is good news.

Steering stabilizers just do their best to hide DW. I think you need a better person to balance those tires.

Reactions: JMT
DW, once it starts the entire vehicle is shaking back and forth that you would think the front axle is going to be thrown out from under you. From what you described, it doesn't sound to be DW.

I would check if the wheel spacers are installed properly and make sure your rotors are flush with the hub. Then check U-joints in front axle and both drive shafts.

DW, once it starts the entire vehicle is shaking back and forth that you would think the front axle is going to be thrown out from under you. From what you described, it doesn't sound to be DW.

I would check if the wheel spacers are installed properly and make sure your rotors are flush with the hub. Then check U-joints in front axle and both drive shafts.
Why would it shake at only >55mph. I don't get the shake when crossing a railroad or hit a dip/bump?

It this started with those tires/wheels, it is caused by those tires/wheels.

If you don't have to slow down to almost stopping to end the shaking you don't have actual DW, which is good news.

Steering stabilizers just do their best to hide DW. I think you need a better person to balance those tires.
We might swap the Original set back on and see if it continues. Thanks!

Why would it shake at only >55mph. I don't get the shake when crossing a railroad or hit a dip/bump?
Because the tires are either out of round or out of balance. You have a shimmy.TJ’s are finicky. Most tire shops just balance them good enough. But TJ’s need to be perfect. If the tires are out of round it’s best to get new tires.