Help me pick out my next gun

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
Ok so I am no gun expert, actually I only own one hand gun. A Springfield 9 mm that my wife wanted me to get when I go camping off road she was afraid of the zombies back in the woods. Actually now I think I am safer with random Off Roader's than the general public. So for home protection we are considering a Shot Gun, so the question is Pump or Semi-Auto and how long, Brands, etc. I am also considering buying one for my home and another for my cabin. I don't really want to be transporting a gun every time.

So I am hoping to get some suggestions from those that know guns,

Thanks, oh yea I am in CA 🤫

Remington 870. think of it as the CJ7. Simple, effective, plenty of aftermarket support for any bolt on you want. under normal circumstances, easy to find. I assume every new gun owner bought out the local gun shops.

870 is good and reliable. I have an old turkey gun made in 1978 I shoot clays with. It’s a beater but always cycles. Lot of aftermarket stuff for them too. Semi autos are fun but there’s nothing like the sound of a pump shotgun being racked. Stick with a good reputable brand. Short barrel for home defense is better, like a 20” or less. What ever you get learn how to run it, forward and backward. If you ever do need it to protect yourself you’ll want the muscle memory.

870 is good and reliable. I have an old turkey gun made in 1978 I shoot clays with. It’s a beater but always cycles. Lot of aftermarket stuff for them too. Semi autos are fun but there’s nothing like the sound of a pump shotgun being racked. Stick with a good reputable brand. Short barrel for home defense is better, like a 20” or less. What ever you get learn how to run it, forward and backward. If you ever do need it to protect yourself you’ll want the muscle memory.
X2

Reactions: DrDmoney
Hoping to get to Bass Pro over the weekend and take a look a few options. I have been looking around the web and a lot of talk about other types of smaller pistol-caliber types.

I’d switch to a AR platform. Less recoil, lighter, easier manual of arms, not really more than a shotgun.

unless you spend a lot of time with a pump, they are easy to short stroke and bulky.

Not saying anything bad about a 870, great guns.

For HD, I’ll take my 10.5” AR any day of the week.

Hoping to get to Bass Pro over the weekend and take a look a few options. I have been looking around the web and a lot of talk about other types of smaller pistol-caliber types.

Ruger PC Carbine is a GREAT little gun. My wife loves it. Very good little home defense gun and breaks down into two pieces so easy to store in places or take with you. I personally prefer the safety on Mossberg shotguns over Remingtons. But you cannot go wrong with either.

If you and your wife are not gonna practice much I think the PC Carbine is best.

If you are gonna practice a little the Semi-Auto shotgun is a good choice.

If you your gonna practice a lot a pump shotgun will be great. Most people short stroke pumps until quite a bit of practice.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I’d switch to a AR platform. Less recoil, lighter, easier manual of arms, not really more than a shotgun.

unless you spend a lot of time with a pump, they are easy to short stroke and bulky.

Not saying anything bad about a 870, great guns.

For HD, I’ll take my 10.5” AR any day of the week.
Again I am newbie at guns what is meant a AR Platform ?

@Plumber1 I own a few shotguns both semi-auto, pump, and a double-barrel. If you'd like we could go to the united sportsmen range in concord off highway 4 and you could put a few rounds through them to feel the kick.

Personally for home defense, I would buy a 12 gauge Remington 870. The noise of pumping a shotgun would likely be enough to scare anyone away. I'd stay away from an AR 15 or any semi auto rifle for home defense because the rounds are much more likely to go through walls and hit things you didn't intend. (neighbors, people, kids) Not to mention you only have 10 rounds (legally) to hit your target. A shotgun will allow for a much larger margin of error.

This one has a 18.5" barrel. (Mine are all hunting guns so they are between 28-30)
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-870-Express-Home-Defense-Pump-Action-Shotgun

@Plumber1 I own a few shotguns both semi-auto, pump, and a double-barrel. If you'd like we could go to the united sportsmen range in concord off highway 4 and you could put a few rounds through them to feel the kick.

Personally for home defense, I would buy a 12 gauge Remington 870. The noise of pumping a shotgun would likely be enough to scare anyone away. I'd stay away from an AR 15 or any semi auto rifle for home defense because the rounds are much more likely to go through walls and hit things you didn't intend. (neighbors, people, kids) Not to mention you only have 10 rounds (legally) to hit your target. A shotgun will allow for a much larger margin of error.

This one has a 18.5" barrel. (Mine are all hunting guns so they are between 28-30)
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-870-Express-Home-Defense-Pump-Action-Shotgun
Thanks for offer I may take you up on it. Thought if I can I may go by Bass Pro and just start to look at a few options.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01

Your intentions are good, your information is incorrect.

I did miss that OP is in CA. But I’d soon own a lever gun in 357 or 44 mag over a 12 gauge...

At HD distances, your shotgun patterns tight, not much more than a rifle. The ammo is heavy, the platform is cumbersome, it’s not ideal.

And 5.56 and other good HD rounds fragment in dry wall and does NOT over penetrate. It’s a gun shop lore. It’s why most SWAT and SF teams went back to the AR platform. PCC’s like the MP5 and UMP were found to not fragment like a high velocity smaller caliber round did. Buckshot and slugs don’t have the velocity and carry too much energy that they will penetrate walls and over penetration is a concern.

Don’t get me started on the sound to scare people. 😬

I have trained a LOT of people and I will say, smaller women can not manipulate a shotgun with ease. Especially a 12 gauge.

Don’t make it hard. I know CA limits you, but a AR or PCC or if you can’t do either, a lever gun in a pistol caliber is ideal.

Last edited:
And OP.....

If you want to train, I will offer up my weapons, ammo and experience to help you out. You can try handguns, shotguns, semi rifles, lever guns, you name it.

I know I’m a faceless internet guy but I do care this stuff, have some training and been an instructor for many years.

You should keep ear pro with anything indoors. You think a 18.5 12 gauge is quiet?

I do recognize CA doesn’t favor the AR...
16 inch AR with muzzle brake (pretty much required in CA) is A LOT louder than any 12 gauge shotgun.

Safety items should always be present but you may not get a chance to put them on when the time comes.

I'm not saying AR is bad, I have a CA legal version. I'd rather use my 45 or shotgun indoors.

Reactions: lowranger
16 inch AR with muzzle brake (pretty much required in CA) is A LOT louder than any 12 gauge shotgun.

Safety items should always be present but you may not get a chance to put them on when the time comes.

I'm not saying AR is bad, I have a CA legal version. I'd rather use my 45 or shotgun indoors.

Have you shot either indoors? I have. All should make you want to have ear pro. You don’t keep your gun, light, armor and electric ear pro together? It’s a kit.

And a brake indoors is bad. Just do a standard 16” barrel of your state requires it. Brakes are for large caliber guns.

yes the rifle will produce more pressure but all suck and will hurt your ears. Unless you have a suppressed weapon. Well, CA....so most likely not.

Reactions: uhgordo
Yes to both.

All I'm saying is if I have only 2 options (AR or shotgun), I'd definitely use the shotgun with less pressure. That's what I'm comfortable with.

OP should try both indoors and see what he's more comfortable with.

No suppressors in CA ☹️

I loved my AR until I had to make it CA compliant with recent law changes.

We can't have pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash hiders, suppressors, folding stocks, barrel length of less than 16 inches and over all length of less than 26 inches. Even with all this, I'm not sure if I can have a mag release either. I'm sure I'm missing other things as well.

All those changes makes the gun akward to use and takes away the ease of use.