Help me pick out my next gun

I loved my AR until I had to make it CA compliant with recent law changes.

We can't have pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash hiders, suppressors, folding stocks, barrel length of less than 16 inches and over all length of less than 26 inches. Even with all this, I'm not sure if I can have a mag release either. I'm sure I'm missing other things as well.

All those changes makes the gun akward to use and takes away the ease of use.

totally get that.

but is a pump shotgun easier? Is it a training issue?

but again, I’d soon have a nice lever gun in 357 or 44 over a shot gun. ( and I have many, including Saigas) so I don’t hate them.

CA sucks for guns. But pistols take a considerable about of training. So do shotguns.

a Lever gun does as well, but in CA, I’d take that.

I don’t follow CA gun laws like I should: but is a mini14 out of the question?

Reactions: Apparition
Does your wife need to be able to use the firearm? If so, if steer clear of a pump action 12ga. Get a 12ga auto loader like Remington V3 tactical, Berreta 1301. They're twice as expensive, or more, but with some reduced recoil shells they would be more tolerable for a woman. IMO, being in Commiefornia makes an AR rifle a no-go. Electronic ear pro at the ready is an excellent suggestion.

But pistols take a considerable about of training. So do shotguns.

no matter the weapon ... considerable training should be requisite

I don’t follow CA gun laws like I should: but is a mini14 out of the question?

No. I forgot about the Ruger (not a fan of them) but that is a viable option as it doesn't fall under the same restrictions as an AR or AK type.

no matter the weapon ... considerable training should be requisite

No. I forgot about the Ruger (not a fan of them) but that is a viable option.

True for training I can help someone be more proficient with a semi long gun than a pistol or shotgun.

I hate the mini’s too, side of barn accuracy but at 10 feet, they work. Had to train that junkyard platform for years. Bleh.

Reactions: Apparition and L J
Shotgun, good for indoors and less wall penetration with proper ammo than either Rifle and Handgun. Good choice if other inhabitants in the house. I use Mossberg 500, 18” barrel, manual, bird shot for home defense. Never had a problem.

Shotgun, good for indoors and less wall penetration with proper ammo than either Rifle and Handgun. Good choice if other inhabitants in the house. I use Mossberg 500, 18” barrel, manual, bird shot for home defense. Never had a problem.

🧐

proper ammo and bird shot go together like oil and water

So for home protection we are considering a Shot Gun
As Rubi stated, a shotgun has many misconceptions about home defense; Rubi04 covered the big items. Shotguns are good to have but only if you've trained yourself and your wife to effectively use them.
I love shotguns, even keep one close to my bed with Winchester SuperX 3" #5 shells (turkey load); bird shot stays on the shelf for clay shooting. I shoot it a lot and my wife as well; I would not rely on my wife under pressure to defend the home front with it though. Also, most will have a removable plug to only hold 3 shells (hunting regs.).
If you want a cheap reliable shotgun, the Remington 870 is a popular choice. We can get into other brands after we pick a firearm.

I'd keep going, but I think you need take the couple guys up on their offer to let you shoot their stuff. You may find something that fits you that you did not expect. Bass Pro is not the best place to get advice from either, and for the most part, internet people either. I am with Rubi, a light easy to use rifle is your best route, once you start shooting more and getting an idea of what works for you, you can expand your selection and arms room.

Reactions: Rick Flair
This, and a strategically placed bucket of pea gravel.
Stay stealthy, until it’s time to do business!

7936AE74-7CE4-42F7-BF56-8E556BFBCAEC.jpeg

you're doing it right. Ask the experts, as many as you can talk to, and figure out what multiple options are right for you and your situation. Then put your hands on those options and figure out what you are comfortable with. You will quickly learn that different firearm fill different needs. Wielding a short barrel shotgun inside your house works great, but not so well in your car. Using a handgun in either scenario, or either hand, works better. Best thing ever is the training you need to get to be effective wherever you are. Limiting the capacity of the firearm to 10 rounds doesn’t really hinder much. You can carry extra magazines for your pistol, or extra rounds for your shotgun, so being able to manipulate your firearm effectively requires practice, and training. Do it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73 and Ericict
🧐

proper ammo and bird shot go together like oil and water
This real dumb war veteran named Clint Smith who has run Thunder Ranch for like IDK, since the 1980's, trained CIA and FBI for years, who knows nothing about weapons, said it was a good idea.

https://thunderranchinc.com

I don't know where you live, but around here I'd be much more concerned with a bear wanting to become a rug than a human entering my home (I'm aware of 0 home intrusions in my local area, and multiple bears that have entered homes and became problematic).

If you shoot at one with an AR-15 you're probably going to have a bad day...

Im in the shotgun group. I would look at a 20 and not a 12. If it is for your wife to use as well, then it needs to be lighter and not as scary for her if she is not a gun a person and has no intention to train. A shotgun is more dangerous in close range situations than a rifle. If you get a shotgun, add some sort of light to it that you can turn on or off with a switch close to a finger. Shotgun and rifle both make a lot of noise and it doesn't matter the location. Noise is not an issue to think about. If there is little to no training, then that will be your concern.

Look at the setup of your house and look for a safe room with one point of entry and a hallway leading to it. Now you've got a funnel for the person to come thru to get to you. Being in Ca, I would only use the gun to protect your people and nothing more. In this situation, a shotgun will give more coverage in the hallway and threshold. Many projectiles vs one. Just my .02.

You don't think bird shot will stop and kill an intruder?

It depends on the details of the incident.

This real dumb war veteran named Clint Smith who has run Thunder Ranch for like IDK, since the 1980's, trained CIA and FBI for years, who knows nothing about weapons, said it was a good idea.

https://thunderranchinc.com

Easy turbo. Can you link to an article where he states that? Every professional trainer that I can recall advises against it.

In this situation, a shotgun will give more coverage in the hallway and threshold. Many projectiles vs one.

At close range the shot pattern is so tight that it's not going to be an advantage. You still have to accurately aim it just as with a rifle or pistol.

Easy turbo. Can you link to an article where he states that? Every professional trainer that I can recall advises against it.

At close range the shot pattern is so tight that it's not going to be an advantage. You still have to accurately aim it just as with a rifle or pistol.
Depends on choke. .556 will always be much smaller than any shotgun's choke tight pattern. Aim a rifle, point a shotgun. Shooting basics.

No, I don’t, because I was in the CQB course with him, so we discussed our living situation, inhabitants, home layout, and this was his recommendation. Also took several handgun courses.

Not really wanting to argue, so all I can say is I don’t want a lot of pellets damaging my center mass, possibly multiple times. I probably won’t survive that, not even close

Last edited:
^^THIS^^