Help me pick out my next gun

If you want to get a .380 auto I just picked up 600 rounds that I'll make you a deal on. I got high on muscle relaxers a couple of weeks ago after knee surgery and decided I needed to resupply, accidentally ordered .380 instead of .38 S&W.

If you want to get a .380 auto I just picked up 600 rounds that I'll make you a deal on. I got high on muscle relaxers a couple of weeks ago after knee surgery and decided I needed to resupply, accidentally ordered .380 instead of .38 S&W.

Don’t you know the solution to that? You need a .380 now.

Don’t you know the solution to that? You need a .380 now.

Dude you're the 3rd person that's said that now. That's actually how I ended up w/ my Glock 19. A few years ago Freedom Munitions mistakenly sent me 500 rounds of .45 instead of the .40 that I ordered, I figured that I actually got a deal on it in the end so I kept it and went to my local shop to pick up a .45.

I spent an hour earlier reading .380 reviews lol.

Dude you're the 3rd person that's said that now. That's actually how I ended up w/ my Glock 19. A few years ago Freedom Munitions mistakenly sent me 500 rounds of .45 instead of the .40 that I ordered, I figured that I actually got a deal on it in the end so I kept it and went to my local shop to pick up a .45.

Yeah, I’ve done it a few times myself. Worst was buying like 50 mags for a platform I didn’t own. But the deal was great!!! 😂

Reactions: qslim
take all the advise on training and being comfortable with the weapon. Also you need to assess your possible initial point of contact . Are you coming out of your bed room and have possible penetration issues? Our sons bed room is four pieces of sheet rock away from our bedroom door / hallway. Also it’s harder to lock up a long gun than a pistol . You need to be the only one with access to your firearm . We currently run biometric safes on each side of the bed inside of the night stand . She is wicked efficient with her Taurus Judge with a laser grip and I run a FNX 45 Tac with a suppressor an fragmenting bullets. I have 1000s of rounds though it and always shoot about half those at the range with the sights taped over to train “point and shoot”. The key is not to just panic and not train . The criminal is ready for you coming in your home you are not at 2 AM.

Yeah, I’ve done it a few times myself. Worst was buying like 50 mags for a platform I didn’t own. But the deal was great!!! 😂

Glad I'm not the only one here practicing responsible gun ownership.

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Flair

Taurus .380 is my CC. Hydra-shok rounds.

I'm late to this thread (sure didn't take long), but I'll share a personal anecdote:

I've been around guns my whole life and really enjoy shooting. When I married my wife I shared it with her; she enjoys it but isn't "into" it. My personal favorite that I sleep with is a Colt. 40 1911, it has a manual safety and is fed via magazine, so it takes a little practice to get comfortable with it & figure out where the levers are, how to clear a jam, how to insert the magazine & chamber a round. I've had it for years and it just fits me.

After we had kids our recreational time at the range dwindled, and she told me one day when I got home from work that she had some people come over to buy stuff she advertised on Craigslist, so she went to the little under-bed safe & put the Colt in an accessible location (our children were still babies). Then she said that she looked at the gun and had forgotten how to use it, where the safety was, and how to check if a round was chambered, so she put it back.

After that I decided to get her a revolver. It's still the same size, shoots a comparable round, and all you have to do is point and shoot (assuming it's loaded). That's now her gun and it sits under her side of the bed in a small keypad safe that she can get to quickly if God forbid she ever needs to. She'll never forget how it works because all you have to do is point & squeeze.

We like guns, but they aren't our whole life. We don't live at the range, constantly practice, tinker, or always work on technique. But that revolver is a perfect fit for someone who has a cursory familiarity with a weapon & knows how to make a hole in a paper target from 25 feet. Just my 2 cents.

Well damnit, I’m gun shopping now. Thanks a billion. Let me have a drink first though, I always make the best decisions that way. Like buying the 45/70 I’ve been lusting after. No reason to really own one but it calls my name.

Drinking & gun shopping. That's how you end up with a 20mm Anzio anti-material rifle. Seemed like a great idea at the time. Never know when you might have to disable a freight train that's chasing you.

I am not sure if more home invasions happen during the day or at night.

Robberies happen during the day, invasions at night. Generally speaking. The difference being robbers don't want anyone in the home while they're doing their thing, home invasions either don't care or actually want you there because terrorizing people is part of their deal.

You really should make a list of all the possibilities and try to get some range time with them all. Whatever feels the best to you is what you should get. Then research home defense rounds appropriate for that gun.

Then, and this is REALLY important, train with it. A lot. You don't really know a gun until you've put a few thousand rounds through it.

The other aspect of home defense is having a plan. Your advantage is you know the house and can prepare. The attacker's advantage is they get to pick the time. And they will likely pick a time when you're asleep. So you need an early warning system. Dogs are frequently mentioned but unless well trained for guard duty they tend to be unreliable. I would look for a good security system that hopefully will scare them off, but at the very least will wake you up in the event of a break in, so you have a little time to enact your home defense plan before the bad guy(s) show up in your bedroom. If they have the element of surprise it really doesn't matter how many guns you have, you're probably dead if that's their goal.

Even if all your choices aren't perfect, just having a plan, a weapon you're familiar with, and an early warning system will put you miles ahead of most people.

It should be mentioned that in CA if an intruder enters your home screaming "I'm only here to steal all your belongings and mean you no harm!!!' Legally you can not shoot them (my understanding of the law). You or someone in your house needs to be in immediate danger in order to pull the trigger.

Furthermore, the force needs to be "no more force than necessary" to make them stop.

https://www.shouselaw.com/self-defense.html
That’s why you need to fire a few warning shots into the ceiling after the threat is over.😉

Reactions: Alex01
Ooh oh!!! In 10mm too!!!!
10mm if you're worried about Toximus's bear. Although when I hike in Alaska I carry the S&W 460V, little bigger bear there.

a1a3d80e82279b87e8bd7426ed--machine-guns-hand-guns.jpg

Reactions: Rick Flair
10mm if you're worried about Toximus's bear. Although when I hike in Alaska I carry the S&W 460V, little bigger bear there.

View attachment 169175

I’ve wanted a delta elite forever.

Scratches two itches.

But that big bear gun is hot, I’ve only shot full house 300 grain .44mag through a 7” red hawk. What is it like to shoot a short .460?

Glock 19 for me for HD, I can shoot it, the wife can shoot it, it’s out of sight but readily available. Simply safe alarm panic button right next to it. This is what works for us.

Reactions: Indy and Alex01
I’ve wanted a delta elite forever.

Scratches two itches.

But that big bear gun is hot, I’ve only shot full house 300 grain .44mag through a 7” red hawk. What is it like to shoot a short .460?
That 460 is one of my favorite handguns to shoot. It’s a toss up between it and a suppressed 22 pistol. Both give the OMG this is amazing look but for very different reasons.

The 460 has some kick but it’s enjoyable to shoot, the percussion from it is awe inspiring. The flames are phenomenal.

If you get the chance shoot one. My recommendation is to skip load it though until you are used to it. There are people who accidentally fire them (460 and 50’s) during recoil. There was a girl that shot herself in the face in Missouri because guys thought it would be fun to watch her shoot the big gun.

44A17E2C-3667-4137-A878-B7008877A4BD.jpeg