Help me prioritize my build plans

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
Let me start out by saying you guys know way more about the TJ than I could hope to ever know. Many of you seem very capable when modifying or repairing your Jeeps. I am just starting to learn.

I bought a decent 2001 Sahara with an automatic and the 4.0. I just want it for exploring the gravel and back roads of Arkansas. It will spend a lot of time on pavement, and very little on an interstate. I am not trying to build an off road or rock climber. I simply always wanted a Jeep. I wish I would have bought a brand new one back in the day and kept it in good working order. Could of, would of, should of. A new one today does not appeal to me.

I wanted to ask if you might take some time and help me prioritize my attack plan. I will not be doing most of the work. I will do what I can. I have a good mechanic lined up. I don't want to break the bank, but I'd like to see the old gal back in shape.

Here is what she looks like. I got her May 26, 2022. She shows 152,803 miles.

1653831120058.png

Fill in your profile with as much information about the jeep that you know of (engine, transmission, gearing, ect.)

This will help a lot.

Reactions: L J and Chris
Looks like a good baseline to start on, and not terribly molested. I'd say first off, determine what lift, if any, it has.
Take some pics of the springs, especially the top/bottom perches that the spring ride in. Then measure the springs at ride height on level ground. Lets see pics of shocks and steering components. The wheels/tires will need to go for something a bit more period correct and sized for the lift you have.
General maintenance is key. Get all the fluids changed, tuned up and cooling system flush/refresh.
That's a good start.

I was green as green could be with jeeps, I had a plan to make a great little drive that was capable off-road for my skill level which isn't much. I did know that I wanted something somewhat reliable for a 20 year old vehicle and I wanted to go with 33s no good reason just wanted too.

I started with lift and wheels and tires mainly needed the tires and I had 18 inch JK wheels that I hated. Then from there just fixed all the stuff that I messed up with the lift and found worn because of use or mild wheeling. A lot of people will suggest use it and find what it needs and I think this is the best advice to give.

Reactions: HDRider
Best place to start is gonna by going through it and making sure she’s all up to snuff mechanically. Check for worn out suspension components, steering components, change fluids, etc.
After that throw on a lift to suit the tire size you want to run.
I’d guess you’re gonna be going with 33s, so go with the recommended 3.5-4” of lift, whether that be all suspension lift or the more budget friendly suspension/body lift combo such as the Zone 4.25” lift (3” suspension lift w/ 1.25” body lift).
From there… drive er and you’ll find out what you need/want.
“Build the rig to fit the trail.”

I’m not all that experienced at this point either. I have a TJ I’ve been working on as a slow project for the past 4 years so I’ve done lots of work on mine, lots of forum reading, and lots of reiterating of my build plans.
Best thing to do is just dig into it and if you run into anything there’s lots of VERY Jeep knowledgeable guys here.

@bobthetj03 has great advice with the general maintenance and fluids. Fix things that are broken, it helps to learn how to check all the basic stuff. Paying a mechanic to do everything on an older Jeep can add up quickly, be prepared for that. Personally I'd get some factory Jeep wheels on that thing and a good set of tires. You can normally find the factory aluminum wheels cheap like Canyon or Ravines. I wouldn't modify anything for a few years, most of the time it's money down the drain when you're new to Jeeps.

@bobthetj03 has great advice with the general maintenance and fluids. Fix things that are broken, it helps to learn how to check all the basic stuff. Paying a mechanic to do everything on an older Jeep can add up quickly, be prepared for that. Personally I'd get some factory Jeep wheels on that thing and a good set of tires. You can normally find the factory aluminum wheels cheap like Canyon or Ravines. I wouldn't modify anything for a few years, most of the time it's money down the drain when you're new to Jeeps.
Welcome and +1 to this, except the don’t modify for a few years (not because it’s not good advice. It is. It’s just tough not to-mods are fun.) But start with the maintenance. Any old vehicle is expensive, if you pay someone to work on it. TJs are rewarding to learn on because they are relatively simple, have great aftermarket support and are so cool that you can forgive them their issues. Have fun learning. This is a good place to do it.

The paper work that came with the Jeep show a 2" lift with BFG LT275 7017 tires.
Okay so that’s about a 32.2” x 11” on 17” wheels. I’d find out if that’s a 2” body lift or suspension lift.
Those tires are starting to look pretty stuffed in there, I’d either drop tire size a bit or lift it a bit more.
2.5-3” lift is recommended for 32’s.

Like others have said you should really try diggin into it a bit yourself, I had very little mechanical experience till I got my TJ, learned a TON of er.
Bringing it in for the work could end up lightening your wallet pretty quick haha. But you do you man (y)

Reactions: HDRider and Woodrow
Drive it. It will tell you what it needs.
Drive it as is. It's a Jeep, It was designed to go off road.

Personally, I'd put smaller tires and smaller wheels on it.
Don't build it up to match something you don't want or need.

Reactions: James9100
Midarm, outboard, atlas and have you heard the good news of braking each rear brake individually to allow a great reduction in effective turning radius?

Coming up on my two year anniversary with my TJ. I have not done much since I had the tranny rebuilt. Just drive it and smile. I have put about 12,000 miles on it since I got it.