Help needed - airbag light on and an open wiring connection after removing and replacing dash

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had the dash and steering wheel removed to replace both the heater and evaporator cores. I have everything back together and have two issues

1) The airbag light on the dash is on. I was very careful not to turn the steering wheel when it was removed and the horn works even when turning the steering wheel, so it doesn't sound like its the clock spring. But I will wait to hear from more knowledgeable sources before I say "no way". The question is which wiring connectors on the steering wheel and/or under the dash are responsible for the airbag?

2) While checking out the airbag fuses, I found a wiring connector with nothing attached to it. It is visible from the removed glove box. Here is the pic of the two wires white and green. Now is it a coincidence that I have two issues or are they related?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bob

IMG_1346.jpeg

Well good news and bad news. The good news is that I found the wiring harness click for the empty wiring socket. It was tucked up under the back of the glove box, so whatever it is for is not connected.

Secondly, I disconnected all of the wiring harness clips that plug into the steering wheel and re-seated them. This caused the Airbag light to go out. All good so far, but Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law fame had to pay me a visit.

It seems that while the newly recharged AC blows cold, none of the blend doors seem to be operating to direct the cold air where it is desired. I will re-look at all of the vacuum connections again to see if I see anything amiss. Otherwise this is going to suck trying to find the vacuum issue.....(pun intended)

All the cars I’ve been around that have anything to do with the airbag system have yellow connectors.

All the cars I’ve been around that have anything to do with the airbag system have yellow connectors.

You are correct. The connector under the steering wheel that plugged into the clock spring needed to be re-seated.