Help needed with RHD pitman arm issue

UK STUBBS

Supporting Member
Hi I’ve just spent most of the day taking off a dropped pitman arm to replace with a standard one.when I tried to put the replacement crown one on found it to be a lot smaller on the splines. it said in the add 1997-2006 so I presumed they were all the same I’ve attached some pictures and any help would be much appreciated?measurements are between the flats on the spline.
Thanks
Mark

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

IMG_4624.jpeg

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4626.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg

I’m wondering if po swapped the tj box with an xj one as the dropped pitman arm says xj at the end of the part number if so can I get a normal drop xj pitman to fit or do they not do them?
Thanks

I can't believe the splines would be different on a RHD vs LDH, or even XJ vs TJ, but anything is possible. Have you checked the parts manuals (or Rock Auto) for part numbers across comparable XJ's?

I can’t find anything either for the steering box part number or the pitman arm part number I can’t understand my self why lhd and Rhd tj pitman shave different part numbers but the dropped one I have taken off is a bigger bore.

I can’t find anything either for the steering box part number or the pitman arm part number I can’t understand my self why lhd and Rhd tj pitman shave different part numbers but the dropped one I have taken off is a bigger bore.

Have you been through the parts list in the resources section?

I can't believe the splines would be different on a RHD vs LDH, or even XJ vs TJ, but anything is possible. Have you checked the parts manuals (or Rock Auto) for part numbers across comparable XJ's?

You are correct, they should all be the same spline and diameter.

They would or should have different numbers since the clocking should be slightly different. The LHD pitman points slightly to the left side with the wheels straight ahead. I would guess that the RHD would point slightly to the right with the wheels straight ahead. Or roughly 1 to maybe 2 teeth different from each other. Emphasis on all of that being a WAG.

I think your correct MrBlaine I’ve noticed the splines are not at right angles to the pitman,ive found the part number from the dropped pitman arm says it’s for an xj so I’m thinking po has swapped the steering box out for an xj box I’m wondering if the original right hand drive steering box had a smaller diameter shaft.would someone be able to measure in between the splines on a tj pitman arm to see if it will fit if they have time?then the next question is would a lhd version tj pitman cause problems that I’m trying to iron out.thanks for your help guys I’m coming across a lot of problems and I appreciate all your knowledge.mark

I think your correct MrBlaine I’ve noticed the splines are not at right angles to the pitman,ive found the part number from the dropped pitman arm says it’s for an xj so I’m thinking po has swapped the steering box out for an xj box I’m wondering if the original right hand drive steering box had a smaller diameter shaft.would someone be able to measure in between the splines on a tj pitman arm to see if it will fit if they have time?then the next question is would a lhd version tj pitman cause problems that I’m trying to iron out.thanks for your help guys I’m coming across a lot of problems and I appreciate all your knowledge.mark

Again, a WAG but I see no reason and no logic to change the sector shaft between RHD and LHD as far as size and spline count. The XJ gear should also be the same since it is very common to use a stock XJ pitman for a slightly dropped TJ pitman when the need arises.

What does wag mean is it a box that’s been swapped from something else or is it the make of steering box that came with the jeep?im going to measure the output shaft on my 2006 to this 2003 today if they are the same maybe I’ve been sent a wrong standard pitman with a smaller splined hole. Thanks again.

What does wag mean is it a box that’s been swapped from something else or is it the make of steering box that came with the jeep?im going to measure the output shaft on my 2006 to this 2003 today if they are the same maybe I’ve been sent a wrong standard pitman with a smaller splined hole. Thanks again.

Wild Ass Guess

My 06 and the 03 look and measure the same on the output shaft but the crown one I ordered is the same part number as my 06 but I can’t see how it will fit on as it’s 3mm smaller in between the splines as pictures if some one has spare that they could measure between the splines for me that would be great as I’m at a loss where to go with this?
Thanks
Mark

That’s what I’m thinking but the only Rhd ones I can find are from crown and when I look at other pics of the crown ones they all look the same

Sounds like in a pinch a left handed one would work, although it would put your center point slightly off. Not ideal, but better than that drop arm, and better than an arm that won't even fit.

Thanks I will have a think and maybe a ring round the breakers yard before I go down the lad route.mrblaine said it was a wag box does that mean from a wagoneer?thanks again.mark

Thanks I will have a think and maybe a ring round the breakers yard before I go down the lad route.mrblaine said it was a wag box does that mean from a wagoneer?thanks again.mark

it means it was a Wild Ass Guess.

Ha ha I get it now brilliant
I’ll be using that now down the pub

Only because I don't know for sure but what I do know is the same arm from a left hand drive will fit a right hand drive with the only difference being where it points with tires straight ahead. There is simply no reason for it to be any other way. I'll bet good money if you check with some of US postal Jeeps, that fact can be proven.