Help reinstalling factory radio

lowranger

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
When I bought my Jeep some years back, the PO had installed an aftermarket radio/stero. I hate that radio. So I'm now installing the factory radio. The PO cut and spliced wires from the aftermarket radio into the factory harness. I would like to find the two short sections that goes from the back of the factory radio and plugs into the factory Jeep wiring harness. I find just the section that plugs into the back of the radio with loose wires on the end. I need the plugs on both ends...one end plugs into radio and the other end plugs into harness. Make sense?

Here is the section coming out of the factory wiring harness.
IMG_20190406_134227854.jpg

Does the factory radio you got have the harness plug coming off of it? Most aftermarket decks use a harness adapter that plugs into the factory plug then has loose wires at the other end to wire the aftermarket deck. You should be able to simply unplug the harness adapter from the aftermarket deck and plug the factory radio directly into the factory harness plug.

Reactions: Daryl
Does the factory radio you got have the harness plug coming off of it? Most aftermarket decks use a harness adapter that plugs into the factory plug then has loose wires at the other end to wire the aftermarket deck. You should be able to simply unplug the harness adapter from the aftermarket deck and plug the factory radio directly into the factory harness plug.
The factory radio has nothing on it JB. :-(

LR, those two plugs should plug right into the back of the radio. They are even color coded white and black.

You may have to plug them in from under the dash if there is not enough slack in the harness. Feed the radio into its hole and do some crawling.

They seem a little short. Thought maybe there was a longer section that went in between. Thanks JB.

The harness you posted is the adapter harness you would purchase if you were installing an aftermarket deck like you just removed. As I recall when I replaced my factory radio for an aftermarket one, it was a tight fit trying to unplug the factory harness from the factory radio. I had to crawl under the dash to unplug it. Sorry LR.

You're right JB ...... did I just type that?? Went back out, worked the factory wire harness around some and got enough slack where I can plug it into the radio....boy do I feel "stupid". Maybe I can get Chris to delete this thread now. :)

That is to connect an iPod to the HU so you can use the deck controls. Old school bribe brah! You'll have to do better than that! Ha!