HELP! Transmission / skid plate issue

dustinrice69

Hello, sorry if posting in wrong place!! Im 50 years old and this is my first time, ever, doing this sort of thing.
However, Im just about done with this tj and in need of help. About month ago bought one owner 02 and boy it was just wonderful. that is until I walked out to find transfer case lay'n in my front yard!! So, came to find frame was "rigged" for quick sale and rusted out at skid plate. It wasnt as bad as some ive seen online, so I simply cut out rusted area bottom of frame, cut new steel, welded on nuts and welded it up. Also, I thought since was apart I would change trans filter and partial fluid. So, now all painted and bolted up and back together, but when checking trans fluid started noticing issues. Like when put in reverse takes second to engage and is possible shifting clear to third before can get outa driveway!! Here is where I super mixed up! Could i have skid plate off so much causing trans issues or did i mess something up servicing trans or what in the world!! Like I say never done this, so, thank you and let me know other info needed.

You very well may have not put transmission and transfer case skid precisely back where it was. An expert should be along shortly I'm sure. Did you measure everything before remounting it? And I think General discussion is a fine place for this. You'll get more responses here probably. If you say you found the t case sitting in the yard more things might be broken than just the rotted out frame now. I'm truly sorry someone screwed you with the frame. I hope you get this fixed asap!!!

Do you have any photos of the underside / skid plate? That might help so I can at least get an idea what we're dealing with here.

Reactions: StG58
From re-reading this, it sounds like maybe there isn't enough transmission fluid in there. Is that possible?

Well you guys, after get'n my panties clean up in a wad, Chris nailed it!! It was the fluid! Ya know when you been mess'n with something so long, you simply overlook the obvious... Thank you all so much. And yes, I've never done this forum thing before. Did I do it like I was supposed to or?? Thanks again, finally was able to take the wife out for a cruze!!

Reactions: JMT
Glad to hear your up and running. Didn't even take a wrench to fix. just add fluid. The whole " I forgot to put fluid in it !!" kind of thing is what I call a brain fart. We all have those moments and you dun real good on this forum thing. lol I'm new on this forum to. Hope you stick around there are alot of good people and info here.

Reactions: JMT