Help with aftermarket subwoofer cutting in and out

Thanks for all the replies. After all the headache this has caused I think a different amp might be the smartest route to go..

Not sure if it would help diagnose anything, but a couple of times when I have been driving the radio would shut off completely and would not turn back on until I shut the Jeep off, then turned it back on.

This happened a month or so ago before even messing with any of the speakers.

I believe it is wired for 1 OHM currently.. I wired it exactly how the stock woofer was that I took out.

I am guessing at some of this. Someone more knowledgable about the specifics will provide better advice.

The speaker you bought is the 1 ohm dual voice coil. Which means it can be wired in parallel or series at .5 ohm or 2 ohm.

I believe the stock TJ speaker is a 2 ohm dual voice coil which means it can be wired as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load to the amp. Kicker does make a 2 ohm DVC which would have worked as a direct replacement (but not at its full potential with the stock amp)

So of you wired it (kicker 1 ohm DVC) as the speaker you pulled out(stock 2 ohm DVC), the stock amp will be pushing a lot more power to it then it is rated for and that could he causing some of your problems. It is confusing with dVC as the ohm ratings are per voice coil vs the overall ohm rating of the speaker (which changes based on how you wire it). This is normally not an issue with a single voice coil (like most speakers) as you simply have one ohm rating you need to match to the amp capabilities.

Hopefully i got this right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nominal
I believe the stock TJ speaker is a 2 ohm dual voice coil which means it can be wired as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load to the amp. Kicker does make a 2 ohm DVC which would have worked as a direct replacement (but not at its full potential with the stock amp)

Hopefully i got this right.

I think you just nailed it. Just did some more research and it looks like the stock is a 2 ohm, and I bet that is why I'm having stability issues.

Now how do I find the best way to wire this 1 ohm woofer to the stock wiring? Or should I just get the replacement 2 Ohm woofer..?

This is what came in the manual, so should I try to use only one set of leads from the amplifier and replicate below??

e87f19cd6ff73d45bceadc0fdecd7b24.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I think you just nailed it. Just did some more research and it looks like the stock is a 2 ohm, and I bet that is why I'm having stability issues.

Now how do I find the best way to wire this 1 ohm woofer to the stock wiring? Or should I just get the replacement 2 Ohm woofer..?

This is what came in the manual, so should I try to use only one set of leads from the amplifier and replicate below??

View attachment 69396

My Kicker sub is a 2-ohm, but I'm also not using it with the stock amp.

Personally, I would get rid of that stock amp. It's literally the biggest thing holding your stock system back. It's an absolute piece of garbage.

My Kicker sub is a 2-ohm, but I'm also not using it with the stock amp.

Personally, I would get rid of that stock amp. It's literally the biggest thing holding your stock system back. It's an absolute piece of garbage.

Definitely seems like the route to go, but if I can get this to work for the time being without spending more money thats my hope... Out in the garage right now.. Fingers crossed.

Definitely seems like the route to go, but if I can get this to work for the time being without spending more money thats my hope... Out in the garage right now.. Fingers crossed.

Good luck! Possibly try both wiring approaches (on the speaker coils) and see which one works the best. But am guessing the amp might already be bad. Instead of getting another subwoofer, I would agree with above comments and get the right amp that matches the speaker needs.

Ah okay thanks. At that price ($150) am I better off just getting a 5 channel amp for like $215 and redoing everything...?

Dont know. That depends on your other speakers and the 5 channel amp you are looking for. I do know that the kicker amp can push 200w to that speaker when it is wired at .5 ohm (per online details). That is a good match for that speaker. Some other amp might not work as well, but might be good enough. Regardless, the amp you pick needs to be rated for .5 ohm or 2 ohm (parallel vs series VC wiring) to work properly with that speaker.

Dont know. That depends on your other speakers and the 5 channel amp you are looking for. I do know that the kicker amp can push 200w to that speaker when it is wired at .5 ohm (per online details). That is a good match for that speaker. Some other amp might not work as well, but might be good enough. Regardless, the amp you pick needs to be rated for .5 ohm or 2 ohm (parallel vs series VC wiring) to work properly with that speaker.

Ah, understood. Well thanks for all your help, its truly appreciated. I guess I'll be ordering that amplifier.. Will report back in a couple of days.

Ah okay thanks. At that price ($150) am I better off just getting a 5 channel amp for like $215 and redoing everything...?

You are probably better off getting a five channel amp and be done with it. For less than $199, this 5 channel amplifier (Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D) would be ideal for your set-up. You will also need an amplifier wiring kit.

80 watts RMS x 4 at + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

Crutchfield has the amp for $200, WalMart for $140. Sonic Electronix has it for $160.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html

Amplifier install kit.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60718_NVX-XAPK8.html

Reactions: Nominal and Chris
You are probably better off getting a five channel amp and be done with it. For less than $199, this 5 channel amplifier (Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D) would be ideal for your set-up. You will also need an amplifier wiring kit.

Crutchfield has the amp for $200, WalMart for $140. Sonic Electronix has it for $160.

Amplifier install kit.

And Amazon Prime has it for $138!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G051S7I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Damn, might just have to buy one for myself. I've been thinking about just running all my speakers off an amp instead of just the single mono-channel amp running the sub.

Reactions: skrelnik

Amplifier install kit.

And that would do fine with the 1 OHM DVC Kicker sub I have...?

Reactions: skrelnik