Help with death wobble

PriddyBoy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got a 2005 LJ with a 4” lift with death wobble. We have changed the track bar, tie rods, drag link, ball joints, hubs, new stabilizer balanced and rotated the tires. The lower arms are aftermarket, upper arms are oem. It starts at 40 mph. Only thing I haven’t checked is the angle of the axle... any help would be greatly appreciated.

God Doesn’t Like Ugly!!! That’s Why He Made Me Priddy!!!

Tire balance on the TJ has to be dead nuts, not close, not good enough. I would take it in and tell the shop the same and have them rebalance them perfectly.

Hows the alignment and caster?

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Alignment was just done for the second time. We had it done after changing the tie rods and ball joints. Then again after having tires balanced and rotated just for piece of mind. The shop that does it is reputable and does all of our vehicles. I trust them and have been doing business with them for years.
We just noticed the bushings are shot in the upper arms. Gonna replace those tomorrow and maybe get adjustable arms. Caster is good.

Alignment was just done for the second time. We had it done after changing the tie rods and ball joints. Then again after having tires balanced and rotated just for piece of mind. The shop that does it is reputable and does all of our vehicles. I trust them and have been doing business with them for years.
We just noticed the bushings are shot in the upper arms. Gonna replace those tomorrow and maybe get adjustable arms. Caster is good.

Well if you trust the shop, and if the upper arms don't take care of the issue, no idea. Good luck, DW is no fun.

Reactions: PriddyBoy
Have you retorqued evrrything? Sound like you had a lot of suspension work done. It is possible something was left loose. Can you tell if it is coming from the front or back?

Have you retorqued evrrything? Sound like you had a lot of suspension work done. It is possible something was left loose. Can you tell if it is coming from the front or back?

It’s the front. I’ve done everything myself except alignment. We have gone thru everything a couple times. Everything is tight.

Have someone move the steering wheel while your checking every steering component for any movement. Any bolts the might be loose.
Here’s a video I think it would also work with the jeep off.
Look up
“Jeep dry steering test” to familiarize yourself more.

Reactions: PriddyBoy
Got a 2005 LJ with a 4” lift with death wobble. We have changed the track bar, tie rods, drag link, ball joints, hubs, new stabilizer balanced and rotated the tires. The lower arms are aftermarket, upper arms are oem. It starts at 40 mph. Only thing I haven’t checked is the angle of the axle... any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did the DW just start to happen or has it been happening?

An elongated bolt holes where the the track mounts can wreak havoc .

The idea is to move the wheel and see if something is moving without moving it's attached component.

Typically , it really is the tires that sets it off , but the worn component allows it .

You 'll nail it , that's a good one with those miles.

Reactions: Fouledplugs