Help with empty spot on center dashboard

Ttime

Supporting Member
My first jeep & my first post...
Dashboard in my 2001 jeep Wrangler has an empty spot where I assume an ashtray was located. I would like help finding the panel that would fit here so that I could add light toggle switches. Please see attached images...

PXL_20201130_143546832.MP.jpg

PXL_20201130_143537792.MP.jpg

That’s actually where a blank panel comes from the factory. Many people use that blank panel and use it to place switches on for aftermarket accessories.

I was going to buy another switch panel and mount it side by side to the stock one to have more switches, and another outlet with a dedicated usb port. It would take some modification to both panels to work, but I think it's possible.
I found ebay sellers that have scavenged panels for sale, or you could try a junk yard.

Okay, thank you sir.
How would I go about locating a panel to fit here that would have 3 rocker switches to attach lights?

Reactions: Tob and L J
No, it's made to snap into place where the vents are on the upper portion of the center stack. I'll post a couple photos later today of how I modified it to work.

Follow tworley's link for an idea on joining the switch panels together. The ash tray mount section of the bezel will have to be carefully cut out for the second panel to fit. Just remember, measure twice, cut once!

Reactions: L J
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Here's my solution using the daystar switch panel. I considered following the write up by Stu Olson (linked above) but the Eaton switches were too large to fit in the factory blanks. I basically removed all of the plastic made for mounting the ash tray. Then hung the daystar panel with 2 screws running vertically into the inner plastic dash. The black center stack (outer panel) can be removed without removing the switch panel which is kinda handy.
20201130_154929.jpg
20201130_155155.jpg

It does leave you with a dead space below the panel, which obviously doesn't look "factory stock". My plans to build a custom center stack panel are still evolving... You don't really see this unless you put your head below the dash. This option works for now.
20201130_155316.jpg
20201130_155359.jpg
20201130_155458.jpg
20201130_155610.jpg
20201130_155713.jpg

You can see one of the mounting screws in this picture. I've found a good use for cubby space left below. The wife's bottle of purel fits nicely. 👍
20201130_155435.jpg

I appreciate the information you provided as well as the pictures. They have helped me greatly. My concern is that the dash in this Jeep is metal. The slot is also metal. I think there must surely be some small type of plastic panel that I can fit into this slot. I am not sure if the modification you described would work. Ideas?
I also see the vacant space below the switch bank. I feel that there must be some type of rectangular panel that I could fit to cover over the entire metal dash opening, and then, mount something inside it.

PXL_20201130_143546832.MP.jpg

Stu's website has been a wealth of information over the years.
I wonder what has happened to him.
I've wondered the same thing.

Stu sold his Jeep and moved to northern Minnesota I believe. I've used a lot of his guides over the years and the site remains up only because of donations. Pretty incredible resource for TJ's.

I've been meaning to do this mod for a while so that I have some switches, but I haven't installed anything yet that requires switches so I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe if I do some more lights or an air compressor.