Help with empty spot on center dashboard

Stu sold his Jeep and moved to northern Minnesota I believe. I've used a lot of his guides over the years and the site remains up only because of donations. Pretty incredible resource for TJ's.

I've been meaning to do this mod for a while so that I have some switches, but I haven't installed anything yet that requires switches so I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe if I do some more lights or an air compressor.
Yep, he’s up north playing with firearms last I heard.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I appreciate the information you provided as well as the pictures. They have helped me greatly. My concern is that the dash in this Jeep is metal. The slot is also metal. I think there must surely be some small type of plastic panel that I can fit into this slot. I am not sure if the modification you described would work. Ideas?
I also see the vacant space below the switch bank. I feel that there must be some type of rectangular panel that I could fit to cover over the entire metal dash opening, and then, mount something inside it.

View attachment 206878
I have a hard time believing your dash panel is metal... You're referring to the panel that's been painted yellow, right? Have you tried removing it? There are some screws that anchor it in place up by the windshield. Then it's held in with snap-type clips from top to bottom.
The only inserts that are going to fit perfectly are those made by the OEM or something that you build that's custom.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
http://www.12voltguy.com/jeep
Search amazon for switch panels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJQ7738/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Is this a factory ashtray delete section?

panelswitch-3.jpg

I have not run across anyone that has said it would work. Plus, most people, with regards to the early TJ, most people are going from from one or two or 3 factory switches, to like, 6. Going from 3 to 4 for most isn't going to cut it. So, adding the 3 position pod to the already 3 position pod, makes more sense than going from 3 to 4.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Moab's post on the [mod] link is spot on. That's exactly what I was trying do describe.

So, there ya go Ttime, that mod would work. And if the '03-'06 switch panel looks better to you, you could probably use that instead of bolting two early switch panels together.

But either way, it will require you to cut the bezel out.

Even easier......put the ashtray back in. 😸