Help with home lighting

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
Looking to change out my existing can lights for led. I have some on 8' flat ceilings and others on 12' vaulted ceilings. I saw these at HD but since I am a plumber and not an electrician I have no idea if these are good or junk. How many lumens / watts etc. do I need. :unsure:. I also know thatI need some that are adjustable for the vaulted ceilings.

If you have other recommendations please let me know.

PS: since I am a jeep owner I get the " Buy once cry once " :ROFLMAO: so I ma not looking for the cheapest option out but something that will look nice and provide the proper amount of light. I also like the idea of being able to change the color as some LED's are so BRIGHT

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...d-Light-Trim-4-Pack-NS01dA09FR2-259/314018779

Thanks

At that price buy a pack and see how they work out for your situation. I have basic LED cans in my kitchen from HD. Installed during remodel in 2014 and have had no issues.

Rule of thumb: Divide the incandescent watts by 10 for more-or-less, kinda-sorta the same brightness. 60 watt bulb becomes a 6 watt LED. Many LEDs are marked with Tungsten Equivalent Watts as well - so this example would say something like "60 watt equivalent" - just make sure it isn't 60 ACTUAL LED watts, you'll have a 600 watt equivalency!

Looking to change out my existing can lights for led. I have some on 8' flat ceilings and others on 12' vaulted ceilings. I saw these at HD but since I am a plumber and not an electrician I have no idea if these are good or junk. How many lumens / watts etc. do I need. :unsure:. I also know thatI need some that are adjustable for the vaulted ceilings.

If you have other recommendations please let me know.

PS: since I am a jeep owner I get the " Buy once cry once " :ROFLMAO: so I ma not looking for the cheapest option out but something that will look nice and provide the proper amount of light. I also like the idea of being able to change the color as some LED's are so BRIGHT

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...d-Light-Trim-4-Pack-NS01dA09FR2-259/314018779

Thanks

We’ve got the same type from about 2 years ago when we replaced our family room can lights and finished our basement. Like Zorba said, decide if you’re a 60 or 100w type person and the temperature change feature is nice, but it’s a switch that’s recessed in the can cavity, so it’s not something you’d want to change often. I like the “softer/warmer” lights for the family room and the “colder/daylight” for the gym/storage type areas.

This may help

1690430770303.jpeg

Reactions: tworley

Ive used that graphic so many times over the years. I like the 5-6k but my wife calls it grocery store lighting because its so bright.

We have a selectable one in our kitchen. I guess its nice to be able to change the color if we need to but to change it, we have to remove the globe to access the switch. While not difficult, it would be too much of a hassle to change it often. My suggestion would be to find the temp you both like and get that.

Reactions: red02tj
I don't have a link or anything, but there are industry conventions for lumens per square foot by room type. Typically kitchens and bathrooms are higher, bedrooms lower. Makes it pretty easy to have the right number of the right wattage fixtures and some expectation that it'll come out as well lit as you expect.

OK thanks it looks like WTF I will give them a try. Yes to change them would be a bit of a hassle but I thought I would put up a couple and them see what temp. I like and then install the rest with the same setting

People routinely confuse color temperature for brightness (my wife).
She loves the soft white light of an incandescent bulb (2400-2700°K) that we all grew up with, but I feel as though we are burning whale oil and cannot see in this lighting.
I much prefer a whiter light (3000-3500°K) that is closer to natural sunlight.

We argue over it like it was the thermostat.

I fixed both issues with LED bulbs that have 3000°K color temp and 3 output levels for our lamps (harder to find than one might expect), and a password on the thermostat.
The can lights in our kitchen and upstairs bathroom are all LED (2700°K) and I'll let those ride, but anywhere I might need to read something has got to be better lighting.

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider anything lower than 3000°K. Wattage requirements are a different conversation and determined by the number of lights, their output specs and whether or not they are dimmable.

People routinely confuse color temperature for brightness (my wife).
She loves the soft white light of an incandescent bulb (2400-2700°K) that we all grew up with, but I feel as though we are burning whale oil and cannot see in this lighting.
I much prefer a whiter light (3000-3500°K) that is closer to natural sunlight.

We argue over it like it was the thermostat.

I fixed both issues with LED bulbs that have 3000°K color temp and 3 output levels for our lamps (harder to find than one might expect), and a password on the thermostat.
The can lights in our kitchen and upstairs bathroom are all LED (2700°K) and I'll let those ride, but anywhere I might need to read something has got to be better lighting.

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider anything lower than 3000°K. Wattage requirements are a different conversation and determined by the number of lights, their output specs and whether or not they are dimmable.

When we were getting all the bulbs for our build my wife said she wanted them to look like sunlight. Apparently to her that means yellow, because I bought a bunch of 4000K bulbs and she lost her mind because they looked "blue". So we "compromised" and I replaced every last one of them with 3000K.

We both like very cold lites. Even in the fluorescent days, it was always "cool white". Selectable lites usually have two sets of LEDs, one for warm, another for cool, and both for midrange - which means midrange is briter. So I set those to midrange and they're still pretty cool.

Thanks for the replies I was hoping to get an answer like buy these and your good. I guess it’s like asking which tire is best for off road 🤣

Reactions: bucky