Help with re-gearing

Nobody has brought up passing at 70 in overdrive but you. What is being explained is that gearing appropriately to make overdrive useful has no downsides in mpg or engine life and can make offroading and driving in general better
Nobody has brought up passing at 70 in overdrive but you. What is being explained is that gearing appropriately to make overdrive useful has no downsides in mpg or engine life and can make offroading and driving in general

What is measurable is downshifting because RPM’s in the 2500 range are not enough to hold 70mph or pass a vehicle.
Not true. The 70mph passing of a vehicle was a measurable used earlier in a post. This measurable would not be a factor for me selecting gears.

Not true. The 70mph passing of a vehicle was a measurable used earlier in a post. This measurable would not be a factor for me selecting gears.

The numbers don’t lie on gearing. Would you like to explain why the forum admin has a thread that suggests gearing the AX-15 at 4.56 with 33’s and NV3550 at 4.88 with 33’s?

p.s. That’s not what Ricky said. He said “in overdrive.”

Anyone have anything negative to say about 4.88 and 33’s and the AX-15? Why it’s so bad?

The numbers don’t lie on gearing. Would you like to explain why the forum admin has a thread that suggests gearing the AX-15 at 4.56 with 33’s and NV3550 at 4.88 with 33’s?

Once upon a time, the forum admin did a whole bunch of copy/pasting from existing sources from across the internet that today many mistake as his own knowledge.

Reactions: tworley
Once upon a time, the forum admin did a whole bunch of copy/pasting from existing sources from across the internet that today many mistake as his own knowledge.

I’m aware. It was a debacle at one point because of some of Stu’s site being duplicated over here. It all got worked out though. Some of the info is old and bad. That’s one example: regearing the AX-15 at 4.56 with 33’s. I’m sure Chris would change it if he looked at it. He knows better.

Last edited:
I'd vote for 4.88 on 33s and the ax15 as well.

I've got 5.13s on 35s with the 6 speed, and I think that's just right, and it's ~150rpm higher at 70 than the 4.88 setup in question. Although I don't think 4.56s would be unusable.