Help With Selling on Ebay

As someone who USED to sell tons on ebay..you are most likely going to get screwed. It doesn't matter what your ad says ebay buyers can return anything and the seller will get screwed. It's part of eBay trying to compete with Amazon etc..I pulled all my listing and quit selling on eBay a while back it's just not worth the headache.
So are you suggesting that I take them back and hope he covers the cost that I'm out?

As TheBoogieman mentioned, as long as you didn't offer "returns accepted" and your ad was accurate, the buyer can be told to pound sand. They will probably give you a pissy feedback at worst.
When this BS happened to me I told the buyer it was on him, since he made the "mistake" and admitted so. My listing also stated, "no returns", and I was still forced by ebay to return the item. The message I received from eBay was that if I did not except the return, they would refund him the money and I would possibly lose my item.

After chatting with an eBay employee they said that they could see in our correspondence how he admits to not seeing those indicated (in my ad) details, and so was told that I should block the buyer, return his funds and to report him after it was settled and he'd be handled. Whatever the F that meant. Ultimately, It was buyer over seller.

OP, keep us in the loop of how your proceed, and if indeed you work it out w the buyer and don't lose the shipping. Because I'll have to do whatever it is you do to protect myself if I were ever in that spot again.

Its really unfortunate that eBay has deteriorated to this level - I never sold much, but still use them on occasion to get rid of stuff. As coincidence would have it, I have a dishwasher rack up for sale there right now - which was a wrong purchase on my part.

Just don't try to sell a Hermes scarf there...

What about a Luis Vuitton handbag? :unsure:
Dunno - never tried to sell one. I tried selling a Hermes scarf for a friend once - MANY years ago. The listing was yanked because evidentally Hermes was protecting everyone by suppressing the the secondary market for their product - according to the message I received. Bastards.

• Wow
Reactions: lulzpwndyah
Dunno - never tried to sell one. I tried selling a Hermes scarf for a friend once - MANY years ago. The listing was yanked because evidentally Hermes was protecting everyone by suppressing the the secondary market for their product - according to the message I received. Bastards.
Maybe one of the knockoffs the sell in the sidewalks at Omonoia. ;)

Based on what some here have said along with everything I'm reading on ebay community, I think there's a decent chance I could get screwed if this goes further. I also don't want to deal with the headache or arguing and getting ebay involved. I have sent the buyer a message explaining that I feel he is completely responsible, although a mistake it's still his responsibility. I told him I would prefer that he take responsibility and just resell them and he should have no trouble getting his money back. If he is in the mood to fight it then I will probably end up taking a return and refunding him minus what I'm out on the deal. Everything I'm reading online points me in the direction of ebay siding with the buyer and screwing me, it's just a matter of how bad.

You're here asking for advice, but you've already figured it out.
Oh I've got that part figured out, that was figured out when they held my money until I gave them a bank account then they took a nice 12.5% off the top. I'm just trying to navigate my way out of this sell/return without getting screwed.

Maybe one of the knockoffs the sell in the sidewalks at Omonoia. ;)
Probably on Monasteraki (sp?) as well! But yea, you never know what's going on around Omonoia! We stayed at a hotel in that part of town one time - sat on our balcony and watched the crazy Greek traffic for hours! Free entertainment.

• Haha
Reactions: Kon
EBay WILL always side with the Buyer over the Seller other than on rare occasions.
I experienced one of those occasion almost 5 years ago....
I wont bore you with all the details other than to say a Radio Operator with a Tech License purchased a hand held 2M/70CM Yaesu radio which I had reset to Factory programming and tested for TX power on both bands.
A couple days later I receive a request from the buyer for a full REFUND since the radio doesn't transmit and a day a later I received the package with the radio inside.
I tested the radio and the Buyer was correct.... there was no TX power, but I also found that the Buyer had attempted a MarsCap mod, screwed up the modification and burned up the TX finals along with programming Out of Band frequencies into the radios memory without the proper license. He had programmed frequencies on the modified bands for which the radio antenna was not tuned for.... "Bad SWR".
Since I had returned the radio memory back to factory programming; I asked the Buyer about the memories with Out of Band frequencies and informed him that transmitting on frequencies with bad SWR caused the burned out TX finals.
The Buyer and I had quite a few emails back and forth of which I included pictures.
The Buyer stated I was a SMART ASS for figuring out what he did....
EBay was able to see why I refused the Refund.
EBay called me and stated that since I had provided so much substantiated info including pictures the were going to let me keep the money and they would pay the Buyer themselves and place some sort of Negative Mark on his account.

I sold some new shocks with a few scuffs on ebay. Buyer said he didn't want them after he got them and wanted his money back. I said, "then go sell them on craigslist". :rolleyes: Sometimes when dealing with assholes, you need to be a BIGGER one. 🤫

Surely wouldn’t put my checking account info out there. Possible new scam? Don’t know, just saying.
Ebay is again severing ties with paypal. Entering a checking account for deposits is now how ebay pays out.

I've easily sold $50k on ebay over the years. But I pretty much stopped a few years back as the fees kept going up, the seller protection became almost non-existent (they almost always side with the buyer during a scam) and now their new payout terms. They'll also be requiring SSN for all sellers soon (this is a gov req - not ebays choice, but enough to turn me off of it for good.)

Reactions: TheBoogieman
So are you suggesting that I take them back and hope he covers the cost that I'm out?
Absolutely not..im saying fight hard to convince the buyer to keep them but also keep in mind if he pushes back it's you against the buyer and in ebay world the buyer always wins.

You are going to have a giant dildo shoved up your ass either way but one way at least gives you lube

I hate ebay and have been fucked enough times I'm done with it. I either list it on marketplace, here or CL and if it doesn't sell it goes in the scrap/garbage.

I recently bought a big ticket item off eBay that ended up not working out. Not necessarily the sellers fault but the road bike I bought had a seized part that could not be removed/upgraded as I had planned. Clearly not indicated in the description. Luckily the seller agreed to take it back right away minus the shipping fee which I though was generous. eBay will refund the seller fee when the sale is cancelled so you should not lose anything other than the hassle. It sucks as a seller to go through this trouble for an idiot but mistakes do happen and it would be a solid gesture.

But I’m also interested to see how it plays out to stand your ground as a seller.

I recently bought a big ticket item off eBay that ended up not working out. Not necessarily the sellers fault but the road bike I bought had a seized part that could not be removed/upgraded as I had planned. Clearly not indicated in the description. Luckily the seller agreed to take it back right away minus the shipping fee which I though was generous. eBay will refund the seller fee when the sale is cancelled so you should not lose anything other than the hassle. It sucks as a seller to go through this trouble for an idiot but mistakes do happen and it would be a solid gesture.

But I’m also interested to see how it plays out to stand your ground as a seller.
There are sellers that acknowledge when they are wrong and assume responsibility and there are others that DON'T care they are scamming buyers....

Reactions: P man
So as I stated above, I sent the seller a message yesterday around lunch and stated that the product I sold is exactly what I described and they will fit a TJ from 2001 but he has full doors and there's no way that I would know that before he purchased. I explained that I thought this was his mistake and I would prefer that he resells these on his own if he doesn't want them and they are easily worth what he paid for them, especially for the shape they are in. I did throw in that if he doesn't accept this and wants to take it further that I don't want to waste a ton of time battling with ebay so I would consider taking them back if he covered the fees and shipping that I was out, but I didn't really want to mess with this. I haven't heard anything back so I decided to go ahead and get on my ebay account and officially decline the return. Ebay even has a little comment on the decline return page trying to encourage me to accept a return to improve the buyers experience, it wasn't enough to change my mind.

I'll keep you guys up to date if anything happens further but based on the no response from the buyer I kind of assume he agreed this was a mistake on his part. It's definitely safe to say this will be my last time selling on ebay, I doubt I'll look to do any business on there with the direction ebay is headed but who knows.

Looking for guidance from fellow members who have more ebay experience than myself. I put up the tan half door panels that I didn't need on ebay last week, add clearly stated " Jeep TJ Tan Half Door Panels". A guy messaged me right away and asked if they would fit his 2001 TJ, I respond "Yes they will fit any year TJ,1997-2006". He purchases the panels, I box them up nicely with the hardware and ship them out immediately. He is now requesting a refund and sent me a message stating that they don't fit and I lied to him and told them they would.

This is the first item I have sold on ebay, I wasn't thrilled when I found out I have to put in my checking account info just to get paid and it can't go through my paypal anymore. I covered the shipping cost and the 12.5% ebay fee already. I know that what I sold him is exactly as I described. Maybe he has full doors and doesn't know the difference, his interior color didn't match, or someone put YJ doors on his jeep, etc... Either way I don't feel like I owe him a refund or should I have do deal with the hassle of reselling and eating the fees. I'm sure some of you have more ebay experience than me, I assume I'll end up with a bad review, is there anything else I should be concerned about if I deny his return request?
The only issue I see that may not go in your favor is when he asked what they fit. They actually don't fit any year TJ, they fit any year equipped with half doors.

If that is the correspondence he is using to get eBay to find in his favor, you may not win that one. I would get in touch with eBay and tell them there is nothing wrong and the items are exactly as described. Don't vary from that, don't expound, don't explain, just show them any pics you used in the ad with the description and leave it at that.

I'd also request picture proof that they don't fit. If you don't get that, then he loses.

Reactions: Ron505