Help With Selling on Ebay

Buyer just responded to my message and sent me pictures of his doors, he has full doors. I messaged him back and explained that TJ's came with full or half doors and my ad clearly stated that these were door panels for half doors. I guess I would consider taking a return if he wants to pay to cover the fees and shipping, but I don't really want to mess with the hassle. If I do that I'm also depending on him to send them back with the hardware and in as good of shape as what I sent them in.
I would have just said you clearly did not read the description, send them back and when they get here, I'll send you a refund.

Dunno - never tried to sell one. I tried selling a Hermes scarf for a friend once - MANY years ago. The listing was yanked because evidentally Hermes was protecting everyone by suppressing the the secondary market for their product - according to the message I received. Bastards.
A well known and respected member on Pirate had similar dealings with Dewalt only it wasn't a secondary market they were trying to quash, it was any black and yellow cordless tool on eBay they went after. He got his ad yanked, a cease and desist letter from Dewalt, all manner of bullshit over just trying to dump a tool on there he had no use for. The ad wasn't deceptive or misleading, they were just going after anyone selling anything that even remotely resembled anything Dewalt. It was a fairly drawn out saga with him reporting on it at every turn and they were just a bunch of bastards about the whole mess.

Also the precise reason I will never own a Dewalt tool. If they buy Milwaukee, I'm going to be a very sad person.

I would have just said you clearly did not read the description, send them back and when they get here, I'll send you a refund.
I don't know that he didn't read the description, I honestly think he had no clue that there are half doors and full doors. When he requested a refund and said they didn't fit I asked for pictures so I could see what the issue was and he sent me pictures of his doors which were full doors. I then explained the difference between half and full doors and stated that my ad clearly defined what I was selling as "tan half door panels" which is exactly what they are. Before he made me an offer he asked "will these fit my 2001 TJ" to which I responded "yes they will fit any year TJ". I actually can't believe that he couldn't tell that these wouldn't work just based off the pictures I used in the ad and then the pictures he sent me of his doors, the shape of the panels for full and half doors aren't even close.

Like I said, I was already turned off by ebay before this point, I told him I'd prefer that he just resell them to recoup his money but in the case that he feels that is not fair I would consider letting him return if he covered the money I was out, I thought that was pretty fair.

I don't know that he didn't read the description,
Doesn't matter, they were not described incorrectly, that isn't on you, that is on the buyer.
I honestly think he had no clue that there are half doors and full doors. When he requested a refund and said they didn't fit I asked for pictures so I could see what the issue was and he sent me pictures of his doors which were full doors. I then explained the difference between half and full doors and stated that my ad clearly defined what I was selling as "tan half door panels" which is exactly what they are. Before he made me an offer he asked "will these fit my 2001 TJ" to which I responded "yes they will fit any year TJ". I actually can't believe that he couldn't tell that these wouldn't work just based off the pictures I used in the ad and then the pictures he sent me of his doors, the shape of the panels for full and half doors aren't even close.

Like I said, I was already turned off by ebay before this point, I told him I'd prefer that he just resell them to recoup his money but in the case that he feels that is not fair I would consider letting him return if he covered the money I was out, I thought that was pretty fair.
Don't mind me, most of this has already been gone over and yet again, instead of reading all the way to the end of a thread, I started responding and making redundant points already discussed.

A well known and respected member on Pirate had similar dealings with Dewalt only it wasn't a secondary market they were trying to quash, it was any black and yellow cordless tool on eBay they went after. He got his ad yanked, a cease and desist letter from Dewalt, all manner of bullshit over just trying to dump a tool on there he had no use for. The ad wasn't deceptive or misleading, they were just going after anyone selling anything that even remotely resembled anything Dewalt. It was a fairly drawn out saga with him reporting on it at every turn and they were just a bunch of bastards about the whole mess.

Also the precise reason I will never own a Dewalt tool. If they buy Milwaukee, I'm going to be a very sad person.
That's complete and utter BULLSHIT. I wasn't aware DeWalt was doing this crap - this whole "We own the item you paid for" crap needs to be squashed.

That's complete and utter BULLSHIT. I wasn't aware DeWalt was doing this crap - this whole "We own the item you paid for" crap needs to be squashed.
I don't know that they have done it in recent years. It was quite awhile ago but I have a long memory for shit like that.

I don't know that he didn't read the description, I honestly think he had no clue that there are half doors and full doors.
I found out years ago that people don't read. Even when you state something clear as a bell in the "Queen's English", they'll put words in your mouth, ask stupid questions that are already answered, etc, etc.

I found out years ago that people don't read. Even when you state something clear as a bell in the "Queen's English", they'll put words in your mouth, ask stupid questions that are already answered, etc, etc.
That's why I sound like an old man to a lot of people when I say, "just give me a call and let's discuss it". Because things are misread and information is digested differently depending on the persons attention span or ability to read. That is the sad truth. Could also be that people are very distracted these days, on many levels. Nothing beats a quick conversation. Def a dying form of communication in 2022.

Reactions: Ron505 and Zorba
That's why I sound like an old man to a lot of people when I say, "just give me a call and let's discuss it". Because things are misread and information is digested differently depending on the persons attention span or ability to read. That is the sad truth. Could also be that people are very distracted these days, on many levels. Nothing beats a quick conversation. Def a dying form of communication in 2022.
I also tend to be too verbose. Bulletized points get across much better.

I feel like this is something I've always tried to work on in my career. There's certain customers I work with that are very technical and I can have a good verbal conversation with them and by the end of it we are both on the same page and all details are agreed upon. I have other customers that I have to make sure everything is in email form and all major points are clearly defined and answers/decisions are documented so that I have something to back myself up months down the road when they ask "why did you do this that way". It would be way easier if I could rely on verbal conversation all the time, I enjoy good constructive conversation, but sadly sometimes I know there is a need to document things just to cover my ass.

I don't know that they have done it in recent years. It was quite awhile ago but I have a long memory for shit like that.
Apparently not. I went and had a quick look and there's all kinds of DeWalt stuff there now. Then I checked Hermes Scarves, and there's a pile of them for sale as well. There's two interpretations to this, one altruistic, the other more cynical - but either way its an improvement.

Apparently not. I went and had a quick look and there's all kinds of DeWalt stuff there now. Then I checked Hermes Scarves, and there's a pile of them for sale as well. There's two interpretations to this, one altruistic, the other more cynical - but either way its an improvement.
You missed the point. He was not selling Dewalt. He was selling a black and yellow tool that was not a Dewalt and they sent him a cease and desist letter accusing him of selling knock off shit. He made no representations that would connect what he was selling to anything Dewalt related. That and he had no history of repeatedly selling black and yellow tools. He would hit up garage sales and put up stuff he found that was worth selling.

You missed the point. He was not selling Dewalt. He was selling a black and yellow tool that was not a Dewalt and they sent him a cease and desist letter accusing him of selling knock off shit. He made no representations that would connect what he was selling to anything Dewalt related. That and he had no history of repeatedly selling black and yellow tools. He would hit up garage sales and put up stuff he found that was worth selling.
Ah! Ok. Still, I find it interesting that they're not squashing Hermes scarves any more.

• Haha
Reactions: fourpointzero
My theory about your buyer....he read the half door part and then thought they were correct because the interior panel only covers the lower half of a full door.

I also tend to be too verbose. Bulletized points get across much better.

Reminds me of the time my boss, the CIO, got upset because I gave her a 2 page report to read, in detail. This is IT - so specifics matter, detail matters, and overexplaining is standard to avoid confusion. She said just give me the bullet points.

So I literally bullet pointed every sentence, and it turned into a 3 page report. She accepted that. So glad I don't work there any more.

• Haha
Reactions: ParadoxD
My theory about your buyer....he read the half door part and then thought they were correct because the interior panel only covers the lower half of a full door.
As do about every door panel out there, no? Either way, buyer at fault for sure. He should know the difference between a half and full door.