Oregon Hey wanna let me test drive your 4.0?

Zedd

TJ Enthusiast
I’m in Portland OR and I’d liked to test out a 4.0 again. Besides, more so the point is to meet another Jeep TJ person. I’ve got 2 at work that drive them but they could careless.

Anyways, if you’re in the area and wanna let me drive it around the block, maybe sit at the bar after, let me know :)

(4.0 Automatic that is. Hell, I wanna learn stick too so maybe that as well?😂)

This may be interesting...if you have them make a video of you driving it. It could be even better for you, and us, if you're an attractive young lady. If you are, you may get lucky enough to learn stick too. "Shifting" get your head out of the gutter.

• Haha
Reactions: Hog
This may be interesting...if you have them make a video of you driving it. It could be even better for you, and us, if you're an attractive young lady. If you are, you may get lucky enough to learn stick too. "Shifting" get your head out of the gutter.

I had to re read that a couple times. I made a jeep showcase video for KyleSVT recently so I’ve got the equipment. It might be interesting to film the reaction of a 2.5 user trying a 4.0. I’m not a girl I’m afraid haha. No idea what the last line is about. However I know how to shift just need practice with the back n forth of the gas and clutch.

Reactions: jazngab
The back and forth of the gas and clutch is 95% of learning to shift. Otherwise it would just be an automatic with a really really long gear selector.

Reactions: Plumber1
Damn, just re-read your post.
Sent you a message but mine is a stick.

The best way to learn is just start driving. It is not brain surgery. And "MOST" people who start to learn do NOT cause any major problems. If they did England would be full of clutch shops.

it is a very uncomfortable drive with new drivers.

Reactions: Wombat
It is not brain surgery.
No it's not but although I agree with you, using a manual is an ongoing art, never perfect, like a hair cut, painting and yes, even surgery.

Just when you think you have learned all there is to know you meet someone who has something else to offer. Having driven manuals since the 70's I still miss the odd gear or don't select the appropriate one in uncertain situations. Anyone who thinks that are perfect at operating a manual is dreaming, in part, that's what makes it so damn attractive.

Reactions: JLLJ
Every vehicle has a slightly different clutch feel. Some tend to be jerky while others have a smoother hook up. And when I say every vehicle I mean EVERY vehicle. My TJ will drive slightly different than yours.
I can use no gas in 1st gear and go from a stop to forward motion with a smooth engagement.
The only way to learn is to do. I've taught many kids by starting off on a tractor. They are extremely difficult to stall and gas pedal isn't used. Just to get a feel for how to release the clutch. When they feel confident using only 1 foot then we go to a truck or other vehicle with a lot of low rpm torque to practice using both feet.
Most don't have access to tractors, so find a vehicle with good low end torque (like a TJ) and low gears in 1st gear (like a 6 speed TJ). It is much harder to stall than a car. Cars normally have a much higher 1st gear and an engine that makes power at higher RPMs.
Have someone to show you who doesn't like to yell and is very calm. You will stall. Quite often. But practice and it will become muscle memory before you know it. Or you will over think it and suck.
Some people just can't relax their brains enough to let the motions become second nature and never really get it right. Though anyone with 2 feet can get good enough to be safe on the road.
Learn and practice in a large parking lot when the building is closed. Weekends are good. Mall parking lots are great to use when the mall is closed.

I moved this to the regional sub-forums since it's specific to Oregon.

There's so many members on here from Oregon it's not even funny. @psrivats, @JDRAM11, @ElectricWizard, and more than I can count. Hopefully some of them will see this, though I can't comment as to whether they'll let you test drive their 4.0s ;)

Reactions: ElectricWizard
If we meet up at TFS or something similar I would be down, I have trip planned for it tomorrow actually :) mine has the TC and tranny from an 03 Rubi, so 5speed.

I have a 2002 4.0 auto. Stock with 31" tires. I'd be happy to let you try it out. I am in the Tigard/Beaverton area mostly.

Reactions: Zedd
All you need to know about learning to drive a manual is summed up in one simple rule, NEVER! I say NEVER! attempt to teach your wife to drive one, that is of course unless you're planning on a divorce! And a nasty one at that.
All the women in my life know how to drive stick

• Wow
Reactions: Wombat