Hey you MTBers, let's talk

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking into getting an MTB. Been doing some preliminary research and I'm liking what I see from the Trek Roscoe 8.

What else in this price range do you think would be worth a look? My reading leads me to think that a good hardtail rather than a low-grade full suspension is the better way to go, especially since this will be my entry into the activity.

Finally, using the Roscoe 8 as a starting point, what do you think would be something I would want to upgrade, if anything, on it? Most reviews I've seen almost immediately replace the pedals with something else that's more grippy.

Appreciate the help. :)

Trek makes a good bike. I've owned a few. There will be a few makes/models in that price range. Go to the local shop(s) and ride some. No different than test driving a car; you will like some and hate some. Make sure to get the right size frame and get the bike "fitted" to you from whoever you buy it from. What are the trails like in your area? If its your first time I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything yet. As far as pedals (looking at the bike you mentioned on Treks website) i would recommend clipless or toe clips. Its a 27.5 so its "in the middle" for tire sizes. Its also a single speed in the front(I'm old so i need 2 or 3 in the front lol).

I've been a 29 fan since I've ridden one. I also haven't ridden a hardtail in 10 years or more. Never tried a 27.5. Maybe someone else will have advice on one of those. Overall I don't think its a bad bike for the price point. I know a few more folks on here are mtn bikers. Hope this helps.

I've been in and out of the bike industry for most of my life, I've even been the service manager at a bike shop, so I'm always happy to share my experience.

The Specialized Fuse Comp is comparable, but you can also consider some of the smaller boutique brands. Chromag, and Salsa are well known for their frames, though the pricing might not be as good as the big brands.

A good full suspension bike will allow you to ride bigger stuff than a hardtail, but you're going to learn the fundamentals a lot better with a hardtail. And for the price you're not going to get a comparable build kit.

As for upgrades, pedals for sure, and maybe the grips, and saddle. Bike companies tend to not put anything too fancy in those spots because they are your main contact points between the bike, so it's impossible to spec something that even the majority of riders will be happy with. Especially pedals since a good number of riders will ditch any flat pedal that comes with the bike so that they can put in their preferred clipless pedals. If you haven't already, test ride the bike and see how you initially feel about the saddle, and grips. Don't worry about replacing them right away, since (just like with Jeeps) the best way to know what to upgrade is to ride the bike as it is first.

Be prepared to replace wear items depending on how often you ride, and clean the bike. The exposed drivetrain on a bike is more susceptible to dust/dirt that car's sealed drivetrain. Cleaning, and lubing (with bike specific chain lube!!!) is the best way to protect your investment. Besides the chain, the rest of the drivetrain can get very expensive to replace, especially if it's wearing out quickly due to neglect. Dirty and un-lubed chains wear out quickly, which develops slop. The slop means that the chains don't mesh with the teeth nicely, and flex more during shifting. This wears out the teeth more, which in turn wear out the chain more. Chains are cheap enough that you can replace them yearly as cheap insurance to protect your drivetrain.

The nice thing about the Sram drivetrain on the Roscoe, is that it's easy to upgrade when it does wear out (from normal wear and tear).

Trek makes a good bike. I've owned a few. There will be a few makes/models in that price range. Go to the local shop(s) and ride some. No different than test driving a car; you will like some and hate some. Make sure to get the right size frame and get the bike "fitted" to you from whoever you buy it from. What are the trails like in your area? If its your first time I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything yet. As far as pedals (looking at the bike you mentioned on Treks website) i would recommend clipless or toe clips. Its a 27.5 so its "in the middle" for tire sizes. Its also a single speed in the front(I'm old so i need 2 or 3 in the front lol).

I've been a 29 fan since I've ridden one. I also haven't ridden a hardtail in 10 years or more. Never tried a 27.5. Maybe someone else will have advice on one of those. Overall I don't think its a bad bike for the price point. I know a few more folks on here are mtn bikers. Hope this helps.
Yes, having a good bike shop help him get fitted will be really helpful. Though I wouldn't recommend clipless if he hasn't ridden much the past few years. They are amazing how much they help, but not something you want to learn while shaking off the rust.

And fuck toe baskets, they are a recipe for sprained/broken ankles.

I'm planning on a Spring 2021 purchase, so I'm not looking to purchase immediately.

I'm planning on a Spring 2021 purchase, so I'm not looking to purchase immediately.
Good, take your time. Do your research, focusing a lot on what trails you will be riding (right away, and a year or two down the road). And don't worry too much on the small details. If you fall in love with bike riding, you'll always be wanting a newer/nicer bike.

I rode a lot back east when I was in my 20's, I picked it up again a few years ago (20 years later) when I got back out to Utah. I started with a Specialized Pitch Comp hardtail (about $900) and did pretty well with it. I just picked up my first full-suspension this past summer & absolutely love it, but I still take the hardtail out for certain trails. It's lighter, more responsive, & generally fun to ride in my opinion.

As for pedals I'd just go with some studded aluminum or nylon sets. They grip really well, you don't have to worry about learning to get your foot out of a clip before you completely eat shit, & they're inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWRQQGD/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That looks like a really nice bike for the money. I don't know the Trek bikes very well, looks like it has Shimano hydraulic brakes on it (MT500 caliper). I'd want to dig a little further into that one, haven't seen any reviews - good or bad.

So true about the sport - MTB is addicting! Really no surprise why so many Jeepers are into MTB also.

Unfortunately, the trails in my "area" are about 45min away in either direction. Not a lot here in Douglas. Casper Mountain has a bunch of multi-use trails. Glendo State Park has some as well. I've not been to either location yet, so I've only seen maps and a few images.

That looks like a really nice bike for the money. I don't know the Trek bikes very well, looks like it has Shimano hydraulic brakes on it (MT500 caliper). I'd want to dig a little further into that one, haven't seen any reviews - good or bad.

So true about the sport - MTB is addicting! Really no surprise why so many Jeepers are into MTB also.
Here are the vids I've been watching on YouTube about the 2021 Roscoe 8.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2021+roscoe+8+review
Been thinking about maybe a used 2020 if I can find one to save a little more money.

How difficult is it to remove the tires/reattach them? Because if it's not too much of a hassle, taking the tires off and installing them on-site would mean I wouldn't have to buy a bike rack for the Jeep and could just put it in the back since I don't have the rear seat.

How difficult is it to remove the tires/reattach them? Because if it's not too much of a hassle, taking the tires off and installing them on-site would mean I wouldn't have to buy a bike rack for the Jeep and could just put it in the back since I don't have the rear seat.
It'll be easy, just make sure you get something to prevent the brake pads from walking in (your LBS can hook you up with a couple brake chips). For the front you'll need a 6mm Allen key. The rear is a Quick Release so you don't need any tools for that. Just practice a few times when you first get it. Sram derailleurs have a nice cage lock feature that makes it so that you don't need to fight the chain, and derailleur spring.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
What do your friends ride and what type of riding do you want to do? I find that cycling is very personal and tailoring your bike to the activities is important. As a new rider you may not want to go overboard yet since you may not know what you want to get out of it. Spending a lot of money up front on a bike that you won't ride long term may not be the best option. For instance, I'm faster on a hardtail on a certain route I do however the ride is more pleasurable on my FS. If I want to hit the MTN park in the summer then I rent one since I don't ride that type of terrain enough to justify buying that type of bike.

If you can, borrow or rent demo units to ride off road before you buy. Bike shops sometimes apply rental fees to bikes you are going to purchase.

I started with a Trek X-Caliber 8, then a Roscoe 8, and now I have a Fuel EX 8. I prefer the 29 over the 27s, try them both at a shop. Make sure to go to a reputable shop and be professionally measured, don't guess.

I ran the same pedals on all of the bikes (took 'em off when I sold the bikes), I am not gutsy enough to clip in on a mountain bike. Use Bontrager Line Elite MTB Pedals.

There is a bike park about 15 minutes from my house so makes it very convenient, can do a leisurely paced ride or something more challenging depending on how I feel. Stick with the easy stuff at first, build your confidence.

Don't forget gear! MTB shorts prevent chaffing! Camelback! Gloves! Good helmet - get an MTB helmet, not just any bike helmet.

I like tubeless tires, also.

Have fun!
20190613_153954.jpg

Here's a pic with bike on back of the Jeep pulling the SeaDoo. Many of the lakes I go to have bike trails too, and one of the bike parks has an OHV park attached to it, all within 15 minutes of my house.

Last edited: