Hidden Kill Switch

Rickwhoo

TJ Enthusiast
I found someone in my Jeep last week and surprised him and he ran off. Nothing harmed or taken but I thought maybe I should add a hidden switch to prevent an easy taking of it. I was under the dash and found a wire with a simple jumper connection that killed the ignition when removed. I've never seen something like this before in any car. Is that stock?

That blows man! You think the guy was in there looking for "stuff" as opposed to stealing the car? I have not seen this wire you speak of, any pics?

Reactions: Rickwhoo
There was no stock kill switch. Installing one is a good idea but I highly recommend having other highly visible deterrents. A kill switch may stop a thief from starting your Jeep but not from the extensive damage they will do trying. The door locks are all but useless. Even a novice thief can open a locked TJ as fast as you can use your key. After multiple attempts on my Jeep I went as far as installing electric locks and removing the lock cylinders from the doors. I removed my window tint and always used a steering wheel lock that could not be removed by breaking/bending the steering wheel. Whatever you decide to do make sure it will be noticed before someone attempts to break in. Make it look difficult enough that they will move on to the next Jeep. Along with deterrents have good insurance as there is no defense to someone with a tow truck.

I pulled this device out of a used car years ago and threw it into my toolbox thinking that I might install it on something someday. I'll bet I've had it for 15-20 years now.
Not sure if they are still being sold, but it's kind of a cool gizmo except for the fact that you have to carry another thing with you when you leave the vehicle.
Only a couple of the contacts need to be used, but you can even wire it up so that it is directional if you choose the right ones.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

My LJ has SKIM, so I'm not too worried about a thief hot wiring it.

If it didn't, I would probably have found another one of these Hornet hoodlocks. They're great and will physically lock the hood, while also being a starter interrupter. These were hot shit back in the 80's and 90's and I have used them on a few rigs, including my YJ.
fNEW_HORNET_SECURITY_HOOD_LOCK__30_FERNDA_5b6579c0a5a34.jpg

Reactions: MichaelGH
I pulled this device out of a used car years ago and threw it into my toolbox thinking that I might install it on something someday. I'll bet I've had it for 15-20 years now.
Not sure if they are still being sold, but it's kind of a cool gizmo except for the fact that you have to carry another thing with you when you leave the vehicle.
Only a couple of the contacts need to be used, but you can even wire it up so that it is directional if you choose the right ones.
I bet it could even be wired to run inserted one way, be completely dead out, and sound the horn if ignition switch is turned to start or on (or if power is otherwise applied to the on or start circuit)