High beam indicator takes a long time to go off

Gonna share my thoughts here:

My LJ came with po installed LED headlights. The high beam indicator is always slow to go off. My completely unproven thought is the headlight capacitor back-feeding the high beam indicator. I'll be interested to see if that is remotely accurate.

Tim

Well, one of my suspicions is that it's related to the inexpensive led headlights. I'll be testing that theory by reconnecting my old halogen headlights and let you know.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Gonna share my thoughts here:

My LJ came with po installed LED headlights. The high beam indicator is always slow to go off. My completely unproven thought is the headlight capacitor back-feeding the high beam indicator. I'll be interested to see if that is remotely accurate.

Tim

Interesting. With the jeep off, turn on the lights & then click on the brights. Then unplug the headlight at the headlight. If the indicator goes off, you've found your source. A diode would solve it.

Reactions: nitrofalcon
Interesting. With the jeep off, turn on the lights & then click on the brights. Then unplug the headlight at the headlight. If the indicator goes off, you've found your source. A diode would solve it.

Good test. Easy enough. I'll do it tomorrow.

@MountaineerTom , @hear and @TimV : SUCCESS! I found out the source of the problem with the high beam indicator light. @TimV's hunch was correct, Apparently the headlight capacitor is back-feeding the high beam indicator. I tested as @hear mentioned by turning the headlights to brights with the engine off, then disconnected the headlights and, VOILA! the indicator light went off!

@hear commented that a diode would solve the problem. I'm assuming one for each headlight. Any ideas on the type, size and where to install the diodes? I have a background in Industrial Engineering but know next to zip about electronics :unsure:.

I'm very grateful to the three of you for taking time to discuss and hep me out.

@MountaineerTom , @hear and @TimV : SUCCESS! I found out the source of the problem with the high beam indicator light. @TimV's hunch was correct, Apparently the headlight capacitor is back-feeding the high beam indicator. I tested as @hear mentioned by turning the headlights to brights with the engine off, then disconnected the headlights and, VOILA! the indicator light went off!

@hear commented that a diode would solve the problem. I'm assuming one for each headlight. Any ideas on the type, size and where to install the diodes? I have a background in Industrial Engineering but know next to zip about electronics :unsure:.

I'm very grateful to the three of you for taking time to discuss and hep me out.

Great news!

That's very cool indeed. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Sorry I missed this earlier.

I only have a degree in physics, but I also dropped Circuits junior year so IDK for sure, but I guess you’ll need one rated for the forward current draw, and then probably a breakdown voltage > 12V.

If you’re clever you could probably do it with one, but I would think one on each light would be simpler.

Sorry I missed this earlier.

I only have a degree in physics, but I also dropped Circuits junior year so IDK for sure, but I guess you’ll need one rated for the forward current draw, and then probably a breakdown voltage > 12V.

If you’re clever you could probably do it with one, but I would think one on each light would be simpler.

@hear , I too was thinking about possibly putting one to cover both headlights. But, you're right. One for each light would be simpler since: 1- I don't have to chase the common wiring connection point, and simply install the diodes near each plug and, 2- being electronically challenged, I don't have to figure out how the total voltage and current effects the diode specs!

Now, I just have to figure out the correct wire going into each plug, and whether it's high beam wire, low beam wire or common for the two or what. Do I sound puzzled? That's because I am!🤣

Now, I just have to figure out the correct wire going into each plug, and whether it's high beam wire, low beam wire or common for the two or what. Do I sound puzzled? That's because I am!🤣

Unplug a headlight and insert 3 wires into the pigtail & tie them around the prongs. Then rip out one until you verify which one is the problem.

But now that I think about it, I’d unplugging one light solves it then you’re probably ok just doing that one.

Unplug a headlight and insert 3 wires into the pigtail & tie them around the prongs. Then rip out one until you verify which one is the problem.

But now that I think about it, I’d unplugging one light solves it then you’re probably ok just doing that one.

Good points on both accounts. I'll do that after the TJ comes back from the shop next week. They're charging the A/C and looking for a leak.